Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:45 PM

368 posts, read 928,629 times

Advertisements

I've lived here only 2 years but just had an eye-opening conversation with the director of a preschool in Lake Worth where we're considering sending our baby-to-be. We were discussing my older child who's 2.5 and she said that given his birthday, which is in January, he falls within that weird category where he'll be kicked out of VPK when he turns 5, but he won't be accepted into any public school in PBC because he has to be 5 before September 1st. So this means he won't be able to attend public elementary school until he's nearly 6. This also means that we have to find a school where he attends between his 5-year-old birthday in January and his entry into public school the following September. Does this sound right??? We would have to find a private school in this gap of time to watch him since my husband and I both work full-time. For those who are familiar with the Palm Beach County school system, please clarify for me. Thanks!!!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 12:50 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
I wasn't aware you could be kicked out of VPK because you aged out. I'd check with someone directly at VPK vs. the preschool owner you were speaking of. I thought VPK went for the duration of the school year. I didn't use the program--the first year it was available my daughter was starting kindergarten.

And don't get me started on the school system regarding birthdates. My daughter actually started early--she has an October birthday. I didn't think anything of it because the preschool that she was attending strongly urged us to put her in their accelerated kindergarten and first grade program they had; also, back when I was in school, the ones in my graduating class ranged in age from 16 to 20. They make a MUCH bigger deal out of kids being younger now.

Because she was being compared to kids that were nearly or already 8 at the beginning of second grade (when she started public school), her teacher wanted to hold her back because of her age and supposed immaturity. Of course she's going to seem immature--you're comparing her to kids that are a year older! And never mind the case that she tested into the gifted program and was pulling nearly straight A's. Ugh...

Anyway...I digress. I'll have to chat with a friend of mine. Her son has a February birthday and I know she did VPK with him at a synagogue in Parkland. I don't believe he was kicked out when he turned 5.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 AM

17 posts, read 70,642 times
Default There is hope.....

Hi Rachel. I used to be an administrator with the school district. Since that time I have moved on to teaching college classes (online part-time from home) in order to afford time to be with my little ones (toddlers and infant). Well, yes it is true that the system is a bit weird but strangely enough it is actually like that all across the State of Florida and in other states as well

My son began Kindergarten one month prior to his 6th birthday. Crazy, but it was probably best move for him as he is academically gifted (in the eyes of doting mom) but emotionally he needed time to mature over this past year of Kindergarten and mature he did. He did extremely well.

The way the system works is a child must be 5 prior to September 1 of the given school year to which they are currently enrolling. For instance, my son's birthday fell on Sept 14 so he actually missed the cutoff for his 5th birthday by 13 days so he had to wait an entire school year in order to start Kindergarten; thus, he began his Kindergarten school year less than one month from his 6th birthday.

Now....the good part is that most quality daycares or pre-schools have set their programs accordingly to accommodate for this schedule. For instance, my daughters preschool (which happens to be in Lake Worth as well and I totally recommend them as both my kids have attended and the owners are on site and are great....they even include internet viewing capabilities to watch your child while you are away) program is set up so that they have a 2 and 2.5 program, 3 and 3.5 program and so forth. With the program like she will actually spend 2 years in the 2 year old program and overlap a bit but they actually change classrooms each August when they advance to the so-called upper 2's or 3's and get new teachers along the way and they also move with the other children that fall in the same category. So my daughter will turn 4 in November of this year. She will miss the 4 year old September 1 cutoff so she will move to the 3 program instead and spend the next school year there (August to July). She will start the 4 year old program next summer or fall at 4 1/2 or 4 3/4years old basically, but unfortunately that is how the system is set.

My daughter will qualify for the FREE Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) program in the summer of 2010 as she will turn 4 this November and the program calls for children to be 4 by Sept 1 of the school year to which they plan to enroll in the VPK program. This means she will get the free tuition or discounted if you choose full day as vpk only pays for 3 hours per day or something of that nature for either the summer or fall. You have a choice as to when you want to use the program either during summer or fall- see ELC of Palm Beach County for more information as well as which licensed facilities are participating). My son was unable to utilize the program as the preschool did not not participate when he was in pre-k4 but this year they just recently added 2 classrooms to service VPK and that is nice as it is substantially less money out of pocket for same services when you take advantage of the program. My daughter should be able to take advantage of it.

As far as your son is concerned if he is 2.5 now...depending on his birthday (if she is not 3 by Sept 1 of this year which I just re-read he won't be until January) then he will enter the 2 year old program in August. I know it seems scary to think he could be an older two and in with baby two's but don't fret because he should be grouped with 2's that are older two's who fall in the same situation as him (be sure to look for this when you search daycares- some smaller daycares only have one 2yr old class and in that case he will be with baby two's and that probably would not be stimulating for him. Then he would advance to the 3 year old room next fall and so forth. I can't see him being placed out of VPK when he turns 5 (not sure about that...I think children stay for duration of program) and you should not have to find a place for him to buy time until Kindergarten because the programs are usually designed or set up in the aforementioned manner.

By the way, my son attended a private christian school for his Kindergarten school year and they follow the same guidelines of registering pre-K4 (must be 4 by Sept 1 and Kindergarten must be 5 by Sept 1 of the school year) so trying to find a private school to house her would not have worked anyway.

Well, I hope info helps. Good luck. Send a direct email if you want the daycare info in Lake Worth as I think it is considered an advertisement if I leave in the forum. Blessings!

Last edited by supermom3; 06-14-2009 at 01:09 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Honestly, this is just the beginning of many arbitrary and non-sensical bureaucratic rules that you will have to deal with if you decide to send your child to public school [in PB County.] I would look into private (if you can afford it) and never look back.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM

22 posts, read 86,926 times
My son has a January birthday. He attended prechool (VPK) for the entire academic school year prior to starting Kindergarten. I did take him out for the summer since I was home with my 3 kids, but I have NEVER heard of someone being kicked out of the VPK program because they turn 5. I would check with other preschools.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,834 times
Hello Supermom3. Thank you for such helpful information as my son and daughter-in-law are facing the same situation. My grandson will be turning 4 on September 6th and just found out that he too will fall in the same catergory of not being allowed to attend school until he is about to turn 6. So now they are being forced into looking for a preschool that will challenge him until he can attend Kindergarten as mom has had to join the work force due to economic times. You mentioned a preschool program in the Lake Worth area and that is were they live. Can you email me the name of said preschool so that we can visit and maybe consider it for our situation. My email address is [email]diane.wilfork@fnf.com[/email]. Thank you again for the helpful information and hope to hear from you soon. dw 7/11/10

Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 39,571 times
A little off topic, but I agree with one of the above posters. Try to avoid the public school system if you can. My child goes to an "A" rated school in western PBC and even that is a completely disorganized mess with VERY unprofessional teachers and principal.

I plan to send her for one more year, then home school. There is a great homeschooling community in South Florida with lots of extracurricular activities and events.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
It depends where u live..We are extremely happy with both our kids schools here in Boca..We have a sophomore in HS and our daughter will be attending Middle School in the fall...

Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 AM

368 posts, read 928,629 times
i've heard great things about the public schools in Wellington and Jupiter as well. I'm looking forward to the day where I'm not paying $$$$$$ for preschool in Boca!! It's a great school but killing us financially.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 AM

32 posts, read 110,671 times
You do not get 'kicked out' of VPK when you turn 5.
Many Montessori preschools would be a great challenge and place for a 5 1/2 year old that is not enrolled in Kindergarten yet. We have a great one in West Boca.

Home*-*VPK Help
Option 1: school-year VPK - 540 instructional hours. (that's 36 weeks of school - 3 hrs/day)
Option 2: summer VPK – 300 instructional hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach