Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 AM

937 posts, read 2,884,065 times

Advertisements

We lived in Punta Gorda Florida and now live up in PA. We may be considering getting a vac. home down in the Boca area in the next few years. We are looking for a country location with about an acre of property. Any ideas and what are the properties going for these days. What are the nice RV parks down that way? We also really are considering buying a motor home to come down during the winter months. Just doing some early research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 02:16 PM

261 posts, read 703,928 times
Check out Loxahatchee and the Acreage. All the houses are on at least an acre. There are some really good deals right now. There has been a cancer scare, which turned out to be basically a scam, but it drove prices down even further. There is also Jupiter Farms, which is really nice, but more expensive.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:03 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,622,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
Check out Loxahatchee and the Acreage. All the houses are on at least an acre. There are some really good deals right now. There has been a cancer scare, which turned out to be basically a scam, but it drove prices down even further. There is also Jupiter Farms, which is really nice, but more expensive.
I agree with you about Loxahatchee having real great deals going now. You can basically pick up a short sale or a foreclosure for $120K+ but didn't OP request Boca as an area?

Anyways, where did you read that it was a scam - has anyone official come out and said that? My property value is down the drain....

Old 09-24-2010, 11:37 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,493,200 times
The cancer cluster is an official designation only there was NEVER any proof provided. They had to classify it as a "cancer cluster" because there were two more cases than the "norm".
All water, and soil testings came back in the normal ranges. So there was never any actual proof of anything.
As far as the values going down the drain due to the cancer cluster, the values were down the drain regardless.
I personally just purchased a home in this "cancer cluster" and I paid fair market value. I don't know how you classify that as a "deal" i paid for what the home was worth, without calculating in a "bubble price". Thus I am not financing someone's retirement by my purchase.

I paid 215,000 for a 2002 pool home with a lot of nice upgrades on 1.77 acres of land. I got what I would have gotten if the jacked up fake prices between 2000 and 2006 never happened.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:15 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,622,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
The cancer cluster is an official designation only there was NEVER any proof provided. They had to classify it as a "cancer cluster" because there were two more cases than the "norm".
All water, and soil testings came back in the normal ranges. So there was never any actual proof of anything.
As far as the values going down the drain due to the cancer cluster, the values were down the drain regardless.
I personally just purchased a home in this "cancer cluster" and I paid fair market value. I don't know how you classify that as a "deal" i paid for what the home was worth, without calculating in a "bubble price". Thus I am not financing someone's retirement by my purchase.

I paid 215,000 for a 2002 pool home with a lot of nice upgrades on 1.77 acres of land. I got what I would have gotten if the jacked up fake prices between 2000 and 2006 never happened.
The values were down the drain anywhere in the country "regardless". Now, my home was appraised at $300K when I bought it in 2007, latest appraisal has it at $107K. That is NOT the average drop for the country, not for FL and certainly not for PBC. Even the tax appraiser (from what I recall) said that the values in Loxahatchee will be affected by the cancer cluster scare. In addition, every realtor (if I am not mistaken) is obligated to show you the home and tell you about the suspected cluster. That alone deters a lot of people and it is only normal that the prices of homes will go down due to that.

You paid fair market value as you say. I am saying, assuming the economy recovers, once the glut of foreclosures and short sales clears up, pressure to move to the area will resume and home prices will go up. Not to pre crisis jacked up levels, but there certainly wont be pool homes built 5 years ago on 1+ acre in short sale offered at $100K-$120K range. I live in the area and wherever I turn there is an auction sign, for sale sign or for rent sign due to owners leaving, foreclosing etc.

The market pre crash was abnormal. This one is too, in the other direction (which works great for the buyer).

OD

Old 09-25-2010, 01:33 PM

937 posts, read 2,884,065 times
I heard also about the Acreage and the cancer scare up here in NEPA. Won't go there even if it's a scam.
Looking for areas more towards Boca also.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,390,271 times
Banyan Lakes is really nice, small estate community with a jetski/small boat lake in the middle. Still 25-30 North of Boca though.
There's some smaller neighborhoods spread out through Boca that have .5-1 acre parcels.
Minimum 3-400k though.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 PM

326 posts, read 1,168,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
We lived in Punta Gorda Florida and now live up in PA. We may be considering getting a vac. home down in the Boca area in the next few years. We are looking for a country location with about an acre of property. Any ideas and what are the properties going for these days. What are the nice RV parks down that way? We also really are considering buying a motor home to come down during the winter months. Just doing some early research!
Hey I live in Englewood and used to live in the Acreage. I don't know about the whole scam thing but I am glad the cancer cluster isn't true and their nothing to worry about. I know from personal experience that not only the Acreage but Loxahatchee is a great place to live for privacy. Also location being 20 min from downtown West Palm and all the big city amenities. So you got country privacy with big city amenities all withing 20 min of each other the perfect mix. Many people lived in RV's and trailers with their 1-5 acre of land where I lived.

I gotta ask you why Boca Raton? Their many places in SFla with Boca's amenities but without the high price tag.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 24,028 times
You will need to west delray most of west boca is cookie cutter homes with less than a acre of land.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 AM

261 posts, read 703,928 times
Sorry, scam probably wasn't the best word choice. What I meant to say is that all the soil and water tests have come back showing that everything is totally fine. After all the testing the CDC said the cancers don't appear to be the result of environmental factors, but were probably an anomaly, and that the rates will return to normal. The official cluster doesn't include all parts of Loxahatchee anyway. It's a shame people won't even look because of this. I think Loxahatchee is one of the most unique areas in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach