U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM

239 posts, read 412,181 times

Advertisements

It did sound like I'm taking too long to research our next move. Price is not an issue in regards to the question. But like you, I'm not willing to pay for a place I'm not happy in. I'd like some decent walkability. Think I visited recently? ? i visit all the time!!!!

??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
well research is good but from experience you wont know until your here..We only wanted West Boca because of what we were told about Central boca and on the contrary Im sorry I listened to people instead of going with my gut..But we were fortunate we were able to move when we did, we are in a apt community right now in broken sound not our 1st choice but timing wasnt on our side at the time..Its been fine for the year we have been here...too much research isnt that good either because u will be confused after a while..lol

I will say to Rent 1st though im glad we did this time around because if your not happy where u are you not totally stuck...

Good Luck where ever u decide

Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM

129 posts, read 435,069 times
Hi nyers
i will try to help you concernig boca. I have lived here for over 30 years. I went to highschool at boca community highschool. At that time it was the onlh highschool in boca. I raised my 23 year old in boca and i am still raising my 15year old in boca. 1 kid down 1 more to go! To make you understand boca. It is set up as the city of boca raton (east boca) and west boca raton (palm beach county). I lived on both sides east and west. I am currently living in west boca. 16 years in west boca. I am not sure what grades you kids are in. So her is some info in east and west boca there is alot of elementary schools i think they are all go. My older child went to addison mizner elementary school(east boca) which was very good. My younger son went to hammock pt elem. School it was good at that time. Right now from other parents they have some neg. Comments. Hammock pointe became a "title 1" school i believe 2yrs ago.

As for middle schools i am not to kin of any of them. Some middle schools have special programs such as boca middle school(east boca) i am not sure about the other middle schools. I pulled ot both children and put them in a private school during the middle school years. My younger son is now in 9th grade and i made the mistake and kept him in a private school i am pulling him out so he can attend public highschool. He will be attending spanish river high. For the middle schools in boca you have
1. Boca middle (east boca)
2. Omni middle (west boca)
3. Loggers run middle (west boca)
4. Eagels landing (west boca)

as for highschools
1. Boca raton community highschool (east boca)
2.spanish river (i belive city kids are zoned for school and i do know county kids are zoned for shool)
3. West boca high (county) also a specialized school
4. Olpimic hieghts (county)

all the schools in boca raton are a rated schools please do not judge schools by their ratings. If you have a child with any disabilty it will be a challange. Both of my children have learning disablities. You would just have to stay on top of the schools and teachers. If they know you are an involved parent they will work with. Both of my sons had some great teachers!

If ypu would like to know more just ask. I hope this helps with the schools. I do the both areas east and west pretty well. I also work out on the road in west boca if you are looking at some areas to move into please tell me and i will tell how the enviroment is in that area.

Have a great day!
Icelady

Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 AM

So the middle school in east Boca not so great but the Highschool good? THANKS a lot!

Why do you say it's a mistake for private school for your 9th grader? I'm also looking into private, but expenses mounting and yikes...

Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
Hi nyers
i will try to help you concernig boca. I have lived here for over 30 years. I went to highschool at boca community highschool. At that time it was the onlh highschool in boca. I raised my 23 year old in boca and i am still raising my 15year old in boca. 1 kid down 1 more to go! To make you understand boca. It is set up as the city of boca raton (east boca) and west boca raton (palm beach county). I lived on both sides east and west. I am currently living in west boca. 16 years in west boca. I am not sure what grades you kids are in. So her is some info in east and west boca there is alot of elementary schools i think they are all go. My older child went to addison mizner elementary school(east boca) which was very good. My younger son went to hammock pt elem. School it was good at that time. Right now from other parents they have some neg. Comments. Hammock pointe became a "title 1" school i believe 2yrs ago.

As for middle schools i am not to kin of any of them. Some middle schools have special programs such as boca middle school(east boca) i am not sure about the other middle schools. I pulled ot both children and put them in a private school during the middle school years. My younger son is now in 9th grade and i made the mistake and kept him in a private school i am pulling him out so he can attend public highschool. He will be attending spanish river high. For the middle schools in boca you have
1. Boca middle (east boca)
2. Omni middle (west boca)
3. Loggers run middle (west boca)
4. Eagels landing (west boca)

as for highschools
1. Boca raton community highschool (east boca)
2.spanish river (i belive city kids are zoned for school and i do know county kids are zoned for shool)
3. West boca high (county) also a specialized school
4. Olpimic hieghts (county)

all the schools in boca raton are a rated schools please do not judge schools by their ratings. If you have a child with any disabilty it will be a challange. Both of my children have learning disablities. You would just have to stay on top of the schools and teachers. If they know you are an involved parent they will work with. Both of my sons had some great teachers!

If ypu would like to know more just ask. I hope this helps with the schools. I do the both areas east and west pretty well. I also work out on the road in west boca if you are looking at some areas to move into please tell me and i will tell how the enviroment is in that area.

Have a great day!
Icelady
My son attends spanish river HS and there arent alot of schools zoned for this school unless they apply to the academy..we are not considered west boca as we are east of the turnpike so im told by the schools...lol My son gets alot of extra help in school from his teachers, as well as I receive emails from his teachers when they feel he is having issues with work..he is in DECA and the entrepreneurship academy and is doing quiet well in school...My daughter will attend Omni Next Year if we cant get her into saint andrews..Interesting on your perspective since u have been living here for such a long time...I do think everyone has different experiences with the schools...we were not happy with the West boca Schools for either child which was a big factor why we moved here to I guess what we call central Boca since we are in City Limits...west boca is unincorporated and not city and are zoned for Olympic/West Boca HS

Old 11-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Default I don't understand this post. There aren't a lot of schools zoned for this school? apply to an academy? Is it NOT a

zoned school? do kids have to test in?

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
My son attends spanish river HS and there arent alot of schools zoned for this school unless they apply to the academy..we are not considered west boca as we are east of the turnpike so im told by the schools...lol My son gets alot of extra help in school from his teachers, as well as I receive emails from his teachers when they feel he is having issues with work..he is in DECA and the entrepreneurship academy and is doing quiet well in school...My daughter will attend Omni Next Year if we cant get her into saint andrews..Interesting on your perspective since u have been living here for such a long time...I do think everyone has different experiences with the schools...we were not happy with the West boca Schools for either child which was a big factor why we moved here to I guess what we call central Boca since we are in City Limits...west boca is unincorporated and not city and are zoned for Olympic/West Boca HS

Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRES View Post
zoned school? do kids have to test in?

???
there arent alot of developments that attend the school as a home school...there are academy's within the school that outside the school home zone so to speak kids in palm beach count can apply to IF they want to take up a specialty or do not want to attend the their home school..for instance we have alot of kids who are zoned for Olympic heights HS who will not attend their home school they can then apply to a school that has an academy..Spainish River spans from the Turnpike to just before 95 and down to Boca Pointe on Powerline Rd and SW 18th Street that is as far WEST as the school boundaries go...for instance my sons friend attend W boca HS for the Culinary Academy but his home school is Spainish River...It confusing but Boca High and Spanish River do not have LARGE school boundaries than opposed to some other areas...that is all im saying...its difficult to explain...and boca HS there is voting going on to turn it into a Charter School although I dont think its going to pass....that is a whole new topic..lol

Old 11-11-2010, 11:30 AM

maybe you can pm. I don't understand at all. So if kids are not 'zoned' like we have on Long Island NY and other areas, would they 'test' in or 'apply' for Spanish River?

I'm assuming there's a LOT of kids in any high school. So, my question is (and it's pretty simple) if I live for example across the street from Spanish River, am I going there? if not, why not?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRES View Post
maybe you can pm. I don't understand at all. So if kids are not 'zoned' like we have on Long Island NY and other areas, would they 'test' in or 'apply' for Spanish River?

I'm assuming there's a LOT of kids in any high school. So, my question is (and it's pretty simple) if I live for example across the street from Spanish River, am I going there? if not, why not?
if u live across the street yes u would obviously attend...I was just clarifying that there is a difference from east boca central boca and west boca...and the schools we choose and why...and since u were asking about areas in boca I was trying to explain...Im from NYC so I know what u are saying...the ACADEMY'S are basically designed for kids to attend a HS of their choice if they get in...if YOU live in West Boca lets say where we used to live off glades rd and 441 my home school was West Boca HS If my son wanted to go into law he could apply for the academy to attend that school "spanish river" if he was chosen..its all done by Lottery for all academy's..

So the bottom line is if u are looking for boca hs then u need to call the county and get a boundary list if u want spanish river hs or OMNI middle school then u would do the same..

Spanish river is our home school for where we live...

Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM

Wow, have to say, I AM now really confused too!

So they're calling the HS an academy (which) ok

And if i want to study law at the 'academy' what do I do to do that if I live in another town? Your post went off into west boca and then spanish river so what??????

are they all 'academies?' What the heck is an academy?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach