U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,844,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well I grew up in Wellington FL and I live in the Bay Area now. I think I explained why I don't want to live in FL earlier in this topic. I just wouldn't want to live there even if I could get a decent job, and I don't think I could get a decent job in PBC even when the economy is good. I don't like the endless suburban sprawl and constant heat. Sure there are good jobs in PBC if you do something specific like being an accountant or a doctor, there are lots of professional jobs like that because of all the retirees, but there isn't the variety of work you can get in the urban parts of California. And it seems like rent in South Florida is almost as bad as the Bay Area now. A 1 bedroom in a nice part of the East Bay (over the bridge from San Francisco) can go for $1100, and when I was in South Florida recently and looking at rentals I saw plenty of places that were around that price or higher. Also I'll take 70 degree days in July in Oakland over miserable 92 degree days in Florida. I don't even need to own an air conditioner.
Your right about the job market here. It's not good for a lot of fields, never will be either. The Bay Area is great for jobs in certain fields as well, mainly the tech field, software engineering and etc. Thing is, the Bay Area is expensive compared to South Florida, that's already known. Even with those perks, there is a trade off with high taxes both sales and income tax. If your not getting ahead here, how would a salary increase to compensate the high cost of living do it there? Unemployment is right on par with Florida too.

I don't see the cheap rentals there, sure they are pricey here but not nearly as bad as the Bay Area. Another thing demand is high there and places are hard to get, there is little listed on Realtor.com.

2/2 in Mountain View at $2,500/month, not a bad looking place, but you can rent something just as nice if nicer here for $1,500/month with a 2 car garage.

727 Cottage CT Mountain View CA - Rental Home - MLS #81057225 - Realtor.com®

1/1 in San Franscisco $1,350/month, 364 sq ft

1059 Leavenworth St #16 San Francisco County CA - Rental House - MLS #81022679 - Realtor.com®

I'm sure cheaper rents exist in Oakland, cheap rents here exist in Riviera Beach too, comes with a trade off. Not saying all of Oakland is bad, but usually you get what you pay for.

Weather, well the Bay Area isn't always balmy, it's often damp,cold and foggy and mainly overcast there a lot too, can you say SAD syndrome? Tropical weather is not for everyone, I know natives that live here that want to leave and move to Minnesota thinking the winter can't be that bad. Actually it's currently 40 degrees F here now and the summer was mild this year. 92 is hot? Wow, how did you ever live here it must have been brutal, more so then the job market. Personally I would say the Southern California has nicer weather, more sunshine.

I won't even mention Earthquakes, I'm not going to be the typical stereotypical reply and make those comments, can't say I care for the ones on Florida "oh it's too hot", "hurricanes" and "Gators'....chicken little the sky is falling stuff..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,221,718 times
Total Travel Estimate: 8 hours 29 minutes / 550.78 miles Fuel Cost: Calculate
From Boca Raton FL to GA mapquest says it is 550 miles
I would not consider the Bahamas a change in scenery or climate and cannot be done by car in a weekend getaway (100 per person for a family of 4 is not inexpensive anyway)
I can be in the largest Ponderosa forest in the USA in 2 hours for a change of scenery here in AZ with a 30 degree change in temperature.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,844,785 times
[quote=autism360;17004956]I have lived through 15 Florida summers and my opinion is that the summers in Arizona are better because of the low humidity factor.
You cannot do weekend 6 hour trips from S Florida because it is much to far to travel in a weekend to get out of the state,in AZ you can do weekend trips to Vegas, N AZ , CA and mexico if you want a change of scenery,from S Florida you cannot. I suggest you do a mapquest search to see how long it will take to drive from S Florida to Georgia or North carolina which are the 2 closet states from S Florida. It will take you almost 12 hours to get to NC and 9 hours to get to Georgia which makes a day trip almost impossible.
Over 1/2 the population from S Florida are from New York where in Arizona they are from the Midwest and my 15 years of S Florida experience tell me New York City people do not have the same mentality as people from the Midwest.

Quote:
I lived and near Jupiter for 15 years and have lived in Arizona for 3 years now. All factors considered Arizona is the hands down winner.
1. better weather(7 months are better than Florida and the summer is more bearable than Florida)
2.closer proximity to weekend vacation areas(california,vegas,mexico and N arizona)
3 less bugs
4 friendlier people( more people with core family values live in Az)
5 better housing available in AZ (newer and cheaper)
6 cheaper food costs due to having over a dozen different food stores in AZ as opposed to 1 major monopoly in Florida (Publix)
7 This is the reason I moved (no natural disasters in Arizona where in Florida you never no when life or property will be ruined by a hurricane or a tornado)
These just keep getting better...let's see..Arizona talking the major population centers is way too hot in the summer months no way is it better then here during the summer, it never get's over 100 degrees F here and we always have a sea breeze and during the winter it's not much different than Arizona would say it's nicer and not as cold due to the higher humidity....summer though just stay inside with the AC blasting, go out after dark wear a jacket. So dry your sinuses need saline and if you wear contacts constant rewetting drops will be necessary. Then don't forget the hand cream if your even more sensitive.

Too dry and dusty, not much trees, not much grass, backyard is gravel ground scrub for plants, no ocean in a stones throw of your back yard. Oh that's right Lake Havasu, full of it's drunken morons that makes Peanut Island boat parties look like a small fry and quite the hall from Tucson or Phoenix to boot.

Bugs let's see..Huge Tarantulas that jump, Scorpions, get down on your knees with a flashlight to check the floors for them at night. Not that bugs scare or bother me.

I don't agree with TriMT7 on Georgia being only 3.5 hours, Jax is around 5 hour trip from Palm Beach County on a good day. I have driven 95 enough to experience that, ATL is around a 8 hour drive, Savannah is closer. Agree though that the Caribbean is a easy boat ride or flight away. Plus you have other parts of Florida to see and experience. Not that Orlando is my thing, but your not going to find anything as good near Arizona other then what Southern California has to offer and even that's debatable.

Phoenix to Las Vegas is easily over a 5 hour drive, so that's considered any different then living here? Do you consider going to Mexico with proximity to Arizona a "vacation spot" do you also pack armed guards? The usual places, Cabo and Cancun are just as close to Florida via plane or boat. No need to drive.

Housing here is quite new, cheaper as of late too but still too much. Arizona had a major issue the boom as well, so things there are just as hard hit as here. I saw a video on Youtube showed all the empty retail, just as bad as here.

I heard the opposite from others on the people, and if you want midwest type people head to Naples or the left coast here.

Agree that Publix is a monopoly, more so now then ever, Albertsons and Winn Dixie have closed many stores here.

Natural disasters, you can still get the effects of Hurricanes in Arizona, it's been documented and bad flooding is evident. I think the biggest disaster waiting to happen is the drug war in Mexico, it's already crossing over the border. Not to mention the issues with Mexico in general.

If being landlocked with no ocean is your idea of a good time, then more power to you. Beachfront property and proximity will always be in demand, looks like the best you can get in Arizona is the wave machine at your local waterpark, they have lot's of those there so you should be good to go, maybe they also pipe in the seagull sound, sandpipers and flocks of Pelicans flying over the water. Just can't simulate that...who cares about the New Yorkers....there is no law saying you need to hang out with them here.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Your right about the job market here. It's not good for a lot of fields, never will be either. The Bay Area is great for jobs in certain fields as well, mainly the tech field, software engineering and etc. Thing is, the Bay Area is expensive compared to South Florida, that's already known. Even with those perks, there is a trade off with high taxes both sales and income tax. If your not getting ahead here, how would a salary increase to compensate the high cost of living do it there?
Because the difference for a lot of people just out of college, including myself, would be working at Wal-Mart in South Florida making $6 an hour or whatever versus getting a decent office job in a place like San Francisco or Chicago or whatever. Plus when you're 25 or whatever, PBC is pretty boring. Unemployment sucks now in CA which negates the value of having a large economy, but when times are good here it's very easy to find work, unfortunately those are the times that housing is more expensive.

Quote:
I don't see the cheap rentals there, sure they are pricey here but not nearly as bad as the Bay Area.
Problem is it seems like a lot of jobs in FL still pay really low compared with how much rent has risen in the last 10 years, it's like they're still paying 1999 salaries or something. Salaries in the Bay Area went up a lot during the tech bubble in the late 90's and early 00's, and they keep rising though not as fast as rent goes up, but generally you'll be comfortable here if you're not making minimum wage (which is like $10 an hour in SF).

Quote:
Another thing demand is high there and places are hard to get, there is little listed on Realtor.com.
Craigslist is really the main place to find rentals in the Bay Area.

Quote:
2/2 in Mountain View at $2,500/month, not a bad looking place, but you can rent something just as nice if nicer here for $1,500/month with a 2 car garage.
I'm not too familiar with Mountain View prices but it is in the heart of Silicon Valley and is where Google is headquartered. 1 bedrooms in San Francisco are around $1400 and higher. You can get a 2 bedroom in Rockridge for around $1200, and 1 bedrooms for $1000 it's that much cheaper. Housing isn't going to be as nice as in South Florida because it's older and it's a very urban area where smaller apartments are the norm. If you want an entire house you can move further out into the suburbs for newer and bigger places.

Quote:
I'm sure cheaper rents exist in Oakland, cheap rents here exist in Riviera Beach too, comes with a trade off. Not saying all of Oakland is bad, but usually you get what you pay for.
A lot of Oakland, especially Rockridge, where I live, is really nice and much quieter and cleaner than most of San Francisco, plus it's quite a bit cheaper to live in Oakland. Most outsiders think Oakland is one big ghetto, I sort of had that attitude when I lived in SF until I spent more time in Oakland.

Quote:
Weather, well the Bay Area isn't always balmy, it's often damp,cold and foggy and mainly overcast there a lot too, can you say SAD syndrome? Tropical weather is not for everyone, I know natives that live here that want to leave and move to Minnesota thinking the winter can't be that bad. Actually it's currently 40 degrees F here now and the summer was mild this year. 92 is hot? Wow, how did you ever live here it must have been brutal, more so then the job market. Personally I would say the Southern California has nicer weather, more sunshine.
92 is like as hot as Florida ever got when I was growing up because the humidity would keep it from going higher (though it would feel a lot hotter). I don't know if you're having hotter summers now. 92 in Florida is just brutal to me, I've been in 100+ weather in Chicago and the Bay Area and it was bad too but it would go away after a couple days, but in Florida it lasts from around what, March to November?

SF and a few coastal areas are really the only cloudy and foggy areas in summer. In SF it is really windy all the time in summer because it's sort of thrust out into the Pacific, and it's not uncommon to have long stretches of 60 degree days. Usually the sun comes out but the coastal parts of SF like the Sunset District can be really foggy all day long. This summer was one of the coldest on record, it was 60-65 every damn day which just gets old after a while, but usually it gets to be more like 70 which I think is the perfect temperature. This is the first summer I've spent in Oakland and it would always be like 70-75 and sunny all day, and not windy like SF is. Also on the plus side it never rains in summer in the Bay Area. Winter kind of sucks though, it's cold and it rains a lot--it's been raining all day here. Overall I don't really mind the weather here, the winter is a LOT better than places like Chicago and NYC, and the summers are better than in Florida. I'd take Florida winters over Bay Area winters though.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,645,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138
I don't agree with TriMT7 on Georgia being only 3.5 hours, Jax is around 5 hour trip from Palm Beach County on a good day.
You're right, I meant 5.5 hours to the Georgia line.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:30 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
[quote=THX 1138;17007662]
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I have lived through 15 Florida summers and my opinion is that the summers in Arizona are better because of the low humidity factor.
You cannot do weekend 6 hour trips from S Florida because it is much to far to travel in a weekend to get out of the state,in AZ you can do weekend trips to Vegas, N AZ , CA and mexico if you want a change of scenery,from S Florida you cannot. I suggest you do a mapquest search to see how long it will take to drive from S Florida to Georgia or North carolina which are the 2 closet states from S Florida. It will take you almost 12 hours to get to NC and 9 hours to get to Georgia which makes a day trip almost impossible.
Over 1/2 the population from S Florida are from New York where in Arizona they are from the Midwest and my 15 years of S Florida experience tell me New York City people do not have the same mentality as people from the Midwest.

These just keep getting better...let's see..Arizona talking the major population centers is way too hot in the summer months no way is it better then here during the summer, it never get's over 100 degrees F here and we always have a sea breeze and during the winter it's not much different than Arizona would say it's nicer and not as cold due to the higher humidity....summer though just stay inside with the AC blasting, go out after dark wear a jacket. So dry your sinuses need saline and if you wear contacts constant rewetting drops will be necessary. Then don't forget the hand cream if your even more sensitive.

Too dry and dusty, not much trees, not much grass, backyard is gravel ground scrub for plants, no ocean in a stones throw of your back yard. Oh that's right Lake Havasu, full of it's drunken morons that makes Peanut Island boat parties look like a small fry and quite the hall from Tucson or Phoenix to boot.

Bugs let's see..Huge Tarantulas that jump, Scorpions, get down on your knees with a flashlight to check the floors for them at night. Not that bugs scare or bother me.

I don't agree with TriMT7 on Georgia being only 3.5 hours, Jax is around 5 hour trip from Palm Beach County on a good day. I have driven 95 enough to experience that, ATL is around a 8 hour drive, Savannah is closer. Agree though that the Caribbean is a easy boat ride or flight away. Plus you have other parts of Florida to see and experience. Not that Orlando is my thing, but your not going to find anything as good near Arizona other then what Southern California has to offer and even that's debatable.

Phoenix to Las Vegas is easily over a 5 hour drive, so that's considered any different then living here? Do you consider going to Mexico with proximity to Arizona a "vacation spot" do you also pack armed guards? The usual places, Cabo and Cancun are just as close to Florida via plane or boat. No need to drive.

Housing here is quite new, cheaper as of late too but still too much. Arizona had a major issue the boom as well, so things there are just as hard hit as here. I saw a video on Youtube showed all the empty retail, just as bad as here.

I heard the opposite from others on the people, and if you want midwest type people head to Naples or the left coast here.

Agree that Publix is a monopoly, more so now then ever, Albertsons and Winn Dixie have closed many stores here.

Natural disasters, you can still get the effects of Hurricanes in Arizona, it's been documented and bad flooding is evident. I think the biggest disaster waiting to happen is the drug war in Mexico, it's already crossing over the border. Not to mention the issues with Mexico in general.

If being landlocked with no ocean is your idea of a good time, then more power to you. Beachfront property and proximity will always be in demand, looks like the best you can get in Arizona is the wave machine at your local waterpark, they have lot's of those there so you should be good to go, maybe they also pipe in the seagull sound, sandpipers and flocks of Pelicans flying over the water. Just can't simulate that...who cares about the New Yorkers....there is no law saying you need to hang out with them here.
Wow we actually agree on something very well put!! and let me add that to make general statements comparing so many places isn't very fair either...because it really does depend on what u do..and people wouldnt still be moving here if they werent working..In this economy too alot of people are now self employed, or work from home etc...I can tell you one of my Oldest friends works for walmart and is a manager of the store and well they make in the MID to upper 100's plus bonus's so Im just Sayin...and that is across the board no matter where he works and with a transfer to florida he will make the same as he would anywhere else....
We looked in AZ back in 94 when we lived in Colorado and well I don't like bugs and things that jump and crawl..Florida has been tough for me with the bugs but I still love it here...DH and I weren't impressed with AZ we looked in Scottsdale and the surrounding area of Pheonix it was way too dry, way to hot in the summer and just wasn't what we were looking for...Back then there were alot of NY people dont kid yourself there are plenty of them in AZ too...

Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 AM

522 posts, read 1,421,953 times
[quote=Swimmom32;17009898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

Wow we actually agree on something very well put!! and let me add that to make general statements comparing so many places isn't very fair either...because it really does depend on what u do..and people wouldnt still be moving here if they werent working..In this economy too alot of people are now self employed, or work from home etc...I can tell you one of my Oldest friends works for walmart and is a manager of the store and well they make in the MID to upper 100's plus bonus's so Im just Sayin...and that is across the board no matter where he works and with a transfer to florida he will make the same as he would anywhere else....
We looked in AZ back in 94 when we lived in Colorado and well I don't like bugs and things that jump and crawl..Florida has been tough for me with the bugs but I still love it here...DH and I weren't impressed with AZ we looked in Scottsdale and the surrounding area of Pheonix it was way too dry, way to hot in the summer and just wasn't what we were looking for...Back then there were alot of NY people dont kid yourself there are plenty of them in AZ too...
I must say i am surprised by the comments about the bugs in SE Florida. I had fewer bug problems in Florida than anywhere I have ever lived. I think it's because they spray the grounds so religiously there. I think I had 2 spriders in 6 years, had a few palmetto bugs in the garage of a townhome I lived in near Boca's intracoastal - called management to spray and never saw a single one again. Maybe I was lucky but I lived in 6 different places (yes, I'm a gypsy) and never experienced any problems at all.

Ahh, you poor New Yorkers - you take such heat, even occasionally from me. I'd say 7 out of 10 people I met there were from New York. Personally, I have to say I find New Yorkers friendly, quick to engage you in conversation, etc. Yes, I think they can be rude but that is mostly the much OLDER folks there and I'm not really sure it has a whole lot to do with being from New York or just being old, crabby and set in their ways. I do think New Yorkers tend to be more impatieint than most, have high standards and are quick to express their displeasure when those standards aren't met. I also see them as being a bit more self-absorbed than those from other parts of the country. But aside from that, New Yorkers have the same set of family values, sense of community and way of looking at the world as others. Let's face it, New York city is a fast paced place with very high quality gourmet food shops, restaurants, clothing stores, you name it. They don't find that in most other places and sometimes they get short-tempered when they don't It's understandable. I say cut them a break. And they don't all fit into that mold. It's like all people from the south are friendly and hospitable, that's not true either.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,429,588 times
There are just bugs and lizards everywhere in South Florida. You get used to it but you don't really see it in places like California or the Northeast. In FL you can't leave anything out on the counter or it will be covered in ants soon. Flick on the lights in the middle of the night and you're liable to see roaches skittering around. There's always crickets or cicadas or whatever constantly buzzing outside. Outside there's bugs and lizards everywhere, wasps, red ants, etc.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,645,113 times
Quote:
There are just bugs and lizards everywhere in South Florida. You get used to it but you don't really see it in places like California or the Northeast. In FL you can't leave anything out on the counter or it will be covered in ants soon. Flick on the lights in the middle of the night and you're liable to see roaches skittering around. There's always crickets or cicadas or whatever constantly buzzing outside. Outside there's bugs and lizards everywhere, wasps, red ants, etc.
Uhhh.... that sounds like a dirty house to me, not a Florida problem.

I routinely leave food out on the counter, including cookies, rolls, etc. and have never come back to find either roaches or ants in my food. The occasional palmetto bug will find its way into the foyer, only to be caught and done away with by the dog or cat.

I have pest control come out once a month.

And yes, lizards are outside. No big deal, they don't bother anyone and are kinda cool. Red ants can be a problem if you let them build their mounds in your yard. But, red ants are an increasing problem throughout the southeast.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:29 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
Quote:
Northeast doesnt have bugs? born and raised in brooklyn NY oh please...lived in NY and NJ most of my life...and NC and talk about disgusting bugs Poisionus spiders and snakes...eesshhh.....I love the Lizards and iguana's...and I agree Tri that is a DIRTY house then...we had an ant problem in West Boca after treatment never saw them again in the house..here we had a problem and well treated and have been gone for almost a year now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach