U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 11,436,282 times
Reputation: 2935

Advertisements

Be careful with that sun though...after several years in Florida skin cancer can strike you, and Florida sunlight can mess up your eyes after a long time soaking it in as well. Everyone in my family avoids the sun when they're outside--parking under shady trees, driving white cars, crossing to the shady side of the street when walking, etc. I think you learn it after a while of being there. When I go home though I try to stay out in the sun as much as I can because you don't get that kind of sunny weather in CA, though I always wear sunglasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach, FL & Napa, CA
2,093 posts, read 4,847,893 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Be careful with that sun though...after several years in Florida skin cancer can strike you, and Florida sunlight can mess up your eyes after a long time soaking it in as well. Everyone in my family avoids the sun when they're outside--parking under shady trees, driving white cars, crossing to the shady side of the street when walking, etc. I think you learn it after a while of being there. When I go home though I try to stay out in the sun as much as I can because you don't get that kind of sunny weather in CA, though I always wear sunglasses.
As long as you take precautions, by wearing sunscreen when you plan to be outside for extended periods or when you go to the beach, wearing good quality Sunglasses (I wear $200+ Maui Jim's everyday, not the cheap 7Eleven $5.99 trucker shades with little protection) even on cloudy days. A wide brimmed hat works wonders for outdoor exposure safety too.

It's very sunny in Southern California and it's a problem there as well, but everyone knows you don't need sunny days to get hit by UV rays, the clouds don't block them all so this applies all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM
 
1,036 posts, read 1,715,902 times
Reputation: 1255
We moved out of Royal Palm Beach 11 years ago to Wake Forest, NC and it was the best thing we've ever done. I think the clincher was the pitched machine gun battle between drug dealers and police that happened a few blocks away just before we moved. I grew up in West Palm, and it was a great place for that - in the Sixties. Today it just seems like a cesspool of crime, crappy neighborhoods, exhausting humidity, giant bugs and angry people. Folks were so nice up here in comparison that for a while I wondered what they were up to.

The only reason I return to south Florida is to see friends or my wife's family, and after a couple of days I can't wait to get out of there. I always breathe a big sigh of relief at the state line. Of course, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times
Reputation: 1992
We moved to Charlotte NC in 2007 to 2009 and it was the worst thing we ever did...and South florida was the best move for us..again what doesnt work for you might not work for me..We couldnt imagine living anywhere else..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM
 
7,496 posts, read 9,729,384 times
Reputation: 7394
I lived in south Florida for six months back in '08 and left solely because of the job/economic situation down there. I live in Denver, Colorado now and I hate it just like I always did. Yes there are a few more jobs here and the mountains are beautiful, but this place still sucks! I won't start listing the reasons why, as not everybody would agree with me anyway. Some people love it here but I don't. I start hyperventilating any time my negative little mind runs away from me with the thought that I'll be stuck here for the rest of my life. (There it goes again, oh gawd make it STOP!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I lived in south Florida for six months back in '08 and left solely because of the job/economic situation down there. I live in Denver, Colorado now and I hate it just like I always did. Yes there are a few more jobs here and the mountains are beautiful, but this place still sucks! I won't start listing the reasons why, as not everybody would agree with me anyway. Some people love it here but I don't. I start hyperventilating any time my negative little mind runs away from me with the thought that I'll be stuck here for the rest of my life. (There it goes again, oh gawd make it STOP!)
Dont feel bad we lived in Littleton Colorado for 5.5 years and as beautiful as it was, I feel your pain I was also in my early 20's..lol at the time

We are from NYC lived there all my life until I was 22 was married 2 years lived in Denver for 5.5 years moved back to NYC then to NJ for almost 10 years then to NC for 2 years which was our decision and dh had a great opportunity there, most of our relo's were Job related for dh does but we have business's and he works full time we are staying put as we all have never been happier anywhere we lived We did want to move here back in 1999 and well stayed in NJ until 07..then came here in June of 09 no more moving for us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,422,660 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I lived in south Florida for six months back in '08 and left solely because of the job/economic situation down there. I live in Denver, Colorado now and I hate it just like I always did. Yes there are a few more jobs here and the mountains are beautiful, but this place still sucks! I won't start listing the reasons why, as not everybody would agree with me anyway. Some people love it here but I don't. I start hyperventilating any time my negative little mind runs away from me with the thought that I'll be stuck here for the rest of my life. (There it goes again, oh gawd make it STOP!)
I feel your pain too! I never lived in Colorado but visited a few times over the years - never liked Denver but liked other parts like Colorado Springs. But I hate the cold and snow so I never considered moving there. And I hate Kentucky and the idea of living the rest of my life here literally upsets my stomach!

Although I don't see the job situation here in Louisville being any better than south Florida (the stats are better here but it's mostly blue-collar type jobs that I don't have the skills for) it IS the economy in Florida that scares me the most about moving back. I realize Florida is not the most expensive place to live - not like California, New York, DC, etc. but there are not many jobs at all there and those that do exist do not pay enough to sustain the still relatively expensive cost of living there. There are alot of $10 and even $8 an hour jobs there and plently of competition for them as well. Most of those jobs go to the sizable foreign population because employers feel they will STAY in the job longer and won't object to working holidays like the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc because so many of those holidays are not celebrated in the countries they come from. Also, speaking English is really not a priority but speaking Spanish and even Creole IS.

I am lucky to have a pension from an early retirement, but it is not enough to sustain me in south Florida. My money goes much further in Louisville and I haven't really figured out why. My mortgage for a small 2 bedroom home is equivalent to a one-bedroom apartment or condo in Florida (which is fine for me there. I only bought a house here for the yard for my dog - I didn't want to walk her during the winter months- not a consideration in south Florida). Gas prices are currently $3.16 a gallon, which I believe is also equivalent to south Florida. Kroger prices here are equal to Publix in south Florida. There are state and county taxes here in KY as well. The sales tax here is .50 percent less than Florida. I honestly think a big part of my money going farther here is I don't go anywhere here - a tank of gas lasts me twice as long here and not going anywhere means I don't spend any money except on necessities. The reason I don't go anywhere is it's hard to make friends here (Florida is transient so it's welcoming to outsiders. Kentucky is not) and the weather sucks so bad in both summer and winter that I hardly ever want to be outside.

I often feel like kicking myself for not moving back to my hometown of St. Louis - I mean if I was going to leave what for me is a perfect climate and go to one I hate, I should have moved THERE! St. Louis is MORE affordable than Louisville, certainly more cosmopolitan, rich in both culture and major league sports, excellent health care and colleges and universities and people who are not just polite but friendly. However, since I did not do that I really can't see making a move to STL when I hate the climate and probably, at age 56, only have one more out of state move left. Having said that, I am not optimistic about the economy in Florida turning around anytime soon and I am LESS optimistic about the prospect of spending YEARS in KY. I can't even THINK about it!

Life is complicated huh? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,660,037 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Although I don't see the job situation here in Louisville being any better than south Florida (the stats are better here but it's mostly blue-collar type jobs that I don't have the skills for) it IS the economy in Florida that scares me the most about moving back. I realize Florida is not the most expensive place to live - not like California, New York, DC, etc. but there are not many jobs at all there and those that do exist do not pay enough to sustain the still relatively expensive cost of living there. There are alot of $10 and even $8 an hour jobs there and plently of competition for them as well. Most of those jobs go to the sizable foreign population because employers feel they will STAY in the job longer and won't object to working holidays like the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc because so many of those holidays are not celebrated in the countries they come from. Also, speaking English is really not a priority but speaking Spanish and even Creole IS.
I think the "you need to know a secodn language" thing is less pronounced in central/northern Palm Beach County and northward. A good thing to have, but certainly not a necessity. I have several friends who hire for retail and they've never mentioned it as a requisite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 AM
 
623 posts, read 1,104,454 times
Reputation: 143
I was thinking the same thing! When we're in Florida (south at least) we do spend more money in because there is so many great things to do and see!

It costs money. Even if it's just the gas to get there. Hard to stay HOME when there's all that. lol




Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I feel your pain too! I never lived in Colorado but visited a few times over the years - never liked Denver but liked other parts like Colorado Springs. But I hate the cold and snow so I never considered moving there. And I hate Kentucky and the idea of living the rest of my life here literally upsets my stomach!

Although I don't see the job situation here in Louisville being any better than south Florida (the stats are better here but it's mostly blue-collar type jobs that I don't have the skills for) it IS the economy in Florida that scares me the most about moving back. I realize Florida is not the most expensive place to live - not like California, New York, DC, etc. but there are not many jobs at all there and those that do exist do not pay enough to sustain the still relatively expensive cost of living there. There are alot of $10 and even $8 an hour jobs there and plently of competition for them as well. Most of those jobs go to the sizable foreign population because employers feel they will STAY in the job longer and won't object to working holidays like the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc because so many of those holidays are not celebrated in the countries they come from. Also, speaking English is really not a priority but speaking Spanish and even Creole IS.

I am lucky to have a pension from an early retirement, but it is not enough to sustain me in south Florida. My money goes much further in Louisville and I haven't really figured out why. My mortgage for a small 2 bedroom home is equivalent to a one-bedroom apartment or condo in Florida (which is fine for me there. I only bought a house here for the yard for my dog - I didn't want to walk her during the winter months- not a consideration in south Florida). Gas prices are currently $3.16 a gallon, which I believe is also equivalent to south Florida. Kroger prices here are equal to Publix in south Florida. There are state and county taxes here in KY as well. The sales tax here is .50 percent less than Florida. I honestly think a big part of my money going farther here is I don't go anywhere here - a tank of gas lasts me twice as long here and not going anywhere means I don't spend any money except on necessities. The reason I don't go anywhere is it's hard to make friends here (Florida is transient so it's welcoming to outsiders. Kentucky is not) and the weather sucks so bad in both summer and winter that I hardly ever want to be outside.

I often feel like kicking myself for not moving back to my hometown of St. Louis - I mean if I was going to leave what for me is a perfect climate and go to one I hate, I should have moved THERE! St. Louis is MORE affordable than Louisville, certainly more cosmopolitan, rich in both culture and major league sports, excellent health care and colleges and universities and people who are not just polite but friendly. However, since I did not do that I really can't see making a move to STL when I hate the climate and probably, at age 56, only have one more out of state move left. Having said that, I am not optimistic about the economy in Florida turning around anytime soon and I am LESS optimistic about the prospect of spending YEARS in KY. I can't even THINK about it!

Life is complicated huh? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Waxhaw, NC
1,076 posts, read 1,995,769 times
Reputation: 1100
I left South Florida becauseI couldny fathom the idea of raising my duaghter in such a place. I lived in Hollywood since I was two, and the schools I went to were horrible, even though I lived in a nice neighborhood. I enjoyed being able to play outside at a young age, but I wouldnt even consider it for my family now. My fiance and I put a 2 year time frame on making it to NC, and suceeded in every aspect. Florida was getting under my skin with the poor drivers, the better than thou attitudes, and everyone seemed to only be concerned for themselves. We were looking for a slower face, a community feel, and nicer people. At the last few months of living there I couldnt stand driving to and from work because of the traffic. And even if someone else made a poor choice on the road, in the store etc etc, you get the dirty look or the shrewd comment. I never understood how people behaved that way. We now live in Union county in NC, outside of Charlotte and LOVE IT. People are concerned for one another, everyone says hello or good morning. The drivers are far less obnoxious. It has been the best decision I have ever made. I can even let my daughter play and run outside. My mom apologizes for moving us from Indiana to FL years ago, but it was a good place back then. Now it jsut turns my stomach.
When we first made a visit to NC we were disgusted driving back seeing how comparably dirty it was! LOL! It stunk and had this "black cloud" surrounding it. Now with 595 being under construction I laugh in the face of commuters. I have an hour and a half drive from my home into downtown Charlotte, but its plesant. I wouldnt trade it for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top