U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:34 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,726,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I was just wondering what those of you have left south Florida feel about where you live now? I left 6 months ago after living there for 6 years and miss it so bad!!! I am currently living in Louisville, KY and just frankly hate it! No place is perfect, but south Florida is so beautiful and if you like a tropical climate I just don't know who anyone adjusts to something else! I know south Florida is expensive, full of con artists and alot of rude people, but really, there are other things that can be worse - like a horrible climate, backward people who couldn't be con artists if they tried because they aren't savy enough, and people who honestly don't like outsiders and are polite but hardly friendly. Just wondering what some of you others think and how you are adjusting to your life outside Florida??
NE Tenn for now. Too much snow, even though Im orig. fr. NY. Miss the S Florida diversity, shopping, restaurants. NE Tenn idea of a night out here is the mall and Ruby Tuesdays. People are polite, but its like a time warp here.

I miss the beach and would return to Fl or CA as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM

57 posts, read 104,841 times
Default Loving Florida

Ha! Ha! dreamofmonterey! We just ate at Ruby Tuesday's tonight! Actually, it was pretty good, we had lobster tails, my husband had steak and I had crabcakes, and the veggies were delicious - cole slaw with blue cheese and grilled green beans! Who da thought? Ruby Tuesdays is getting better! Anyway, I am responding to Joanie55's original post. We moved to Georgia from Florida 3 yrs. ago and I miiiisssss Florida! I lived in Florida for 24 yrs. after meeting my husband. (Grew up in PA) Joanie, yes the roads around here are so windy and have different names every few miles! Oh, and, I have seen larger and more insects here than in Florida. I have seen the largest spiders and bees here - amazing! But I don't mind insects. The weather here, though -- the summers here are hotter than So. Florida - it was in the upper nineties from June to the beginning of Sept. I don't mind heat, either. Oct. and Nov. was beautiful, but December - down into the 30's, blah! I love the tropical weather in So. Florida! I love the humidity - my skin and hair were healthier in the humid climate. Here, in the winter, I am applying hand cream 20 times a day, otherwise, my hands are dry and red. I know this isn't polite or politically correct, or whatever, but the people here are generally not intellectual or highly educated and too religious (So. Baptist) ---- I KNOW! Too, judgmental. There are educated, intellectual people here, but, not the majority. In So. Florida, there is such a melting pot of so many kinds of people, you can easily find like-minded people. Oh - we left Florida about a year after Hurricane Wilma, after we finally got our roof and fence replaced. Joanie, I am hoping that you do get back to Florida at some point - maybe not exaclty the same area, but somewhere in Florida!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM

7,496 posts, read 9,715,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvchat View Post
And if you were really happy where you 'ended up' and so happy to be out of an area, would you really be spending time posting that information? noooooooo, you'd be busy enjoying your new life!!!!!!
I agree with that in a way but I also don't. I think it's good for people to post what was a problem for them where they once lived. However, in doing so, hopefully they realize that one, people are going to disagree, and two, when it really comes down to it, people need to experience a new place and form their own opinion rather than taking everyone else's word for it.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninPittsburgh View Post
Here, in the winter, I am applying hand cream 20 times a day, otherwise, my hands are dry and red.
That's so funny! I never would've pictured that in the south lol.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Dude, why do you keep insisting that this is true? I live in Asheville. People here are the friendliest around. It's not superficial. My neighbor offered to give my wife a ride to work when we got lots of snow. I've had neighbors invite us to go out to eat with them. I've had neighbors shovel snow for other neighbors unable to do it themselves. This is fake? How can you tell me all the way down there in South FL that this is fake? I think some people (not you specifically - dont take this personally) live in a place so long (places like NY or South FL - the 6th borough) where people arent friendly, and they seem to confuse genuine as fake. Some wouldn't know genuine from fake if it bit them in the ass.
I met some people from Mississippi at my job last summer. I was having a horrible day at work and they introduced themselves to me and gave me a hug and just made me feel better. Those ladies were the nicest people I've ever met, I wish I could see them again! But I'll always remember them.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I feel your pain too! I never lived in Colorado but visited a few times over the years - never liked Denver but liked other parts like Colorado Springs. But I hate the cold and snow so I never considered moving there. And I hate Kentucky and the idea of living the rest of my life here literally upsets my stomach!

Although I don't see the job situation here in Louisville being any better than south Florida (the stats are better here but it's mostly blue-collar type jobs that I don't have the skills for) it IS the economy in Florida that scares me the most about moving back. I realize Florida is not the most expensive place to live - not like California, New York, DC, etc. but there are not many jobs at all there and those that do exist do not pay enough to sustain the still relatively expensive cost of living there. There are alot of $10 and even $8 an hour jobs there and plently of competition for them as well. Most of those jobs go to the sizable foreign population because employers feel they will STAY in the job longer and won't object to working holidays like the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc because so many of those holidays are not celebrated in the countries they come from. Also, speaking English is really not a priority but speaking Spanish and even Creole IS.

I am lucky to have a pension from an early retirement, but it is not enough to sustain me in south Florida. My money goes much further in Louisville and I haven't really figured out why. My mortgage for a small 2 bedroom home is equivalent to a one-bedroom apartment or condo in Florida (which is fine for me there. I only bought a house here for the yard for my dog - I didn't want to walk her during the winter months- not a consideration in south Florida). Gas prices are currently $3.16 a gallon, which I believe is also equivalent to south Florida. Kroger prices here are equal to Publix in south Florida. There are state and county taxes here in KY as well. The sales tax here is .50 percent less than Florida. I honestly think a big part of my money going farther here is I don't go anywhere here - a tank of gas lasts me twice as long here and not going anywhere means I don't spend any money except on necessities. The reason I don't go anywhere is it's hard to make friends here (Florida is transient so it's welcoming to outsiders. Kentucky is not) and the weather sucks so bad in both summer and winter that I hardly ever want to be outside.

I often feel like kicking myself for not moving back to my hometown of St. Louis - I mean if I was going to leave what for me is a perfect climate and go to one I hate, I should have moved THERE! St. Louis is MORE affordable than Louisville, certainly more cosmopolitan, rich in both culture and major league sports, excellent health care and colleges and universities and people who are not just polite but friendly. However, since I did not do that I really can't see making a move to STL when I hate the climate and probably, at age 56, only have one more out of state move left. Having said that, I am not optimistic about the economy in Florida turning around anytime soon and I am LESS optimistic about the prospect of spending YEARS in KY. I can't even THINK about it!

Life is complicated huh? LOL!
Great post. I hope you get back to Florida one day. I understand about Kentucky not being open to outsiders. That's the way it is here too. Colorado "natives" can be so ridiculous and negative about newcomers, it's really dumb. And noooo diversity whatsoever. I'm not optomistic about things turning around in Florida either. As much as I would love to go back right now, I don't know if I can. I work at a major retail store, and my manager has told me that whenever I want to go back to Florida she could help me find a store down there to transfer to. I'm just not sure if I can afford to live down there working retail and I'm not brave enough to try it after one failed move.
(But the low wages I'm making right now seem to be what the average wages are down there, I'd probably be doing pretty good by standards of wages down there lol). So I don't know...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,214,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninPittsburgh View Post
Ha! Ha! dreamofmonterey! We just ate at Ruby Tuesday's tonight! Actually, it was pretty good, we had lobster tails, my husband had steak and I had crabcakes, and the veggies were delicious - cole slaw with blue cheese and grilled green beans! Who da thought? Ruby Tuesdays is getting better! Anyway, I am responding to Joanie55's original post. We moved to Georgia from Florida 3 yrs. ago and I miiiisssss Florida! I lived in Florida for 24 yrs. after meeting my husband. (Grew up in PA) Joanie, yes the roads around here are so windy and have different names every few miles! Oh, and, I have seen larger and more insects here than in Florida. I have seen the largest spiders and bees here - amazing! But I don't mind insects. The weather here, though -- the summers here are hotter than So. Florida - it was in the upper nineties from June to the beginning of Sept. I don't mind heat, either. Oct. and Nov. was beautiful, but December - down into the 30's, blah! I love the tropical weather in So. Florida! I love the humidity - my skin and hair were healthier in the humid climate. Here, in the winter, I am applying hand cream 20 times a day, otherwise, my hands are dry and red. I know this isn't polite or politically correct, or whatever, but the people here are generally not intellectual or highly educated and too religious (So. Baptist) ---- I KNOW! Too, judgmental. There are educated, intellectual people here, but, not the majority. In So. Florida, there is such a melting pot of so many kinds of people, you can easily find like-minded people. Oh - we left Florida about a year after Hurricane Wilma, after we finally got our roof and fence replaced. Joanie, I am hoping that you do get back to Florida at some point - maybe not exaclty the same area, but somewhere in Florida!

LOL, and S FL is a mecca for educated professionals and intellects! Move over Raleigh!

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,214,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I met some people from Mississippi at my job last summer. I was having a horrible day at work and they introduced themselves to me and gave me a hug and just made me feel better. Those ladies were the nicest people I've ever met, I wish I could see them again! But I'll always remember them.
It was probably all for a show and fake...

Some people cant believe things like that, so I just went ahead and said it for them, because it was coming anyway.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
I feel that way about here I am really surprised how nice people are...this gal started a conversation commenting on how beautiful our daughter was and how they grow up so fast etc..she has been down here from the Midwest for 5 years and loves it...she too was surprised as she had the Notion that everyone was rude...I wonder where she got that impression....lol

As far as the poster in GA I know what u mean, we spent some time there and it reminded me exactly of NC and we knew that wasn't a place we wanted to be.... visited a couple of the schools talked to some people and after speaking with them we knew where we really wanted to be as Florida/Boca was the place we wanted to be. 12 Years Ago we were looking to build a house a Wellington and well Just never went thru it...Everything in life happens for a reason the funny thing well its not funny just comical was there answer about the people there were yes they are nice but it depends "which development" we were told you lived in. Basically your going to find problems no matter where you go, some worse than others but hey lets face it happiness is what one makes of it and I dont think someone is "Stupid" or "Dont Move there" that is one's opinion..Again people should know the bad and and the good but there never seems to be an in between...
Anyway I hope Joanie can get back to Florida as this is now 2011 and a good time for change

Last edited by Swimmom32; 01-02-2011 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
LOL, and S FL is a mecca for educated professionals and intellects! Move over Raleigh!

Sorry, couldnt resist.

You're right. You couldn't. Cause we is all dumb and unemployed here in South Floriduhhh, and we all make $8/hour. We also all rude and nasty to eachother, and we is fake. Oh, and we hide in our homes without talking to our neighbors because we in fear of crime and violent minorities all day long, or because its too hot outside. We also can't speak or read English proper, which is OK cause all them signs at the grocery be in Spanish anyway.

You're perspective is well known, and noted, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach