U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,582,611 times

Advertisements

Well first I was a snow bird. Then a year later I moved full time. Now in the up coming months will be leaving FL for good. I can see where some people would like FL. Like others said it depends on your situation and also where you live and lifestyle. In Boca I will agree that it is fake and obnoxious. Of course other states have this but no where near like Boca. I don't feel as safe in FL either. Now if you are retired I can see being in FL for the winter to be out of the cold and also to have the social interactions with people at a similar point in life.
I agree we are all different and what one person may like another does not. To the OP I hope you find happiness where ever you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,795,966 times
For the record boca is exactly like a town I lived in in NJ...and I will leave it at that except in my circle and life the people are nice here and friendly and the kids are very welcoming....and again people will say Boca this Boca That and well I say who CARES!!! Anyway we love our lifestyle

Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,149,879 times
As long as I can choose a place that has no state (or city) tax... I'm there

Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,264,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Thanks for your response. I know it is cheaper elsewhere - KY is a perfect example. But Florida is not the south except in geography and I really do not like the south. It's just not my cup of tea. Good luck on selling your condo!

Uhh, that just depends on where in FL you are.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
ps - glad to hear you talk about the money and how that's not the most important thing. It costs me nearly half the money to live in louisville, but i hate it! Funny thing about se florida, as it's called the 6th borough of ny, people do engage you.they have personality, they talk to you - not here! People have established their lives and have no desire to open them any wider. That is not true in florida. Oh, i do so miss my home!!! And i'm a midwesterner btw - but fl is my true home!

huh????????????????

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 PM

57 posts, read 105,247 times
Interesting! Miss Shona, I grew up in Pittsburgh and didn't know any different. Great city with lots of culture and interesting things to do. But awful weather. Then I moved to South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale area)- paradise as far as I am concerned! Lived there for many years but then due to the housing bubble and hurricanes, and such, we moved to Athens, GA where we could buy a much nicer house for much less money than Florida. But I miss the tropical climate of Florida. Nothing like warm air, sun and palm trees and the Atlantic Ocean!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,047,125 times
Quote:
PS - Glad to hear you talk about the money and how that's not the most important thing. It costs me nearly HALF the money to live in Louisville, but I hate it! Funny thing about SE Florida, as it's called the 6th borough of NY, people DO engage you. They have personality, they TALK to you - NOT HERE! People have established their lives and have no desire to open them any wider. That is not true in Florida. Oh, I do so miss my home!!! And I'm a midwesterner BTW - but FL is my true home!
Apparently, you've met the wrong folks here. I'm originally from here and there are things I don't like about my city, but there are a lot of things I do. I was in South Florida this past summer and found a lot that I did like, and a lot of things I didn't like, as your previous post mention. What don't you like about Louisville~? I don't like the drivers, and think ya'll drive better down there. I am very friendly person and maybe too friendly. I strike up conversations and when I was in Florida, not a lot of people do. They were rude and cold to me when I did. Few people I did meet, did return the conversation back to me. I loved the weather and the beach, and plan to go back there again.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 PM

272 posts, read 813,499 times
I left 4 yrs ago and moved to SC and I'm so sorry. The people here are polite, but not friendly. If you weren't born here and can't talk about your civil war lineage, you just don't count. It's lonely, and I miss my Florida neighbors and friends.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:56 AM

^^^ Where in SC?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 AM

522 posts, read 1,424,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Interesting thread. Well I left South Florida in 2008, unwillingly. Basically I had sustained injuries in a car accident (thanks South Florida drivers!) and was unable to live on my own...so I had to move in with family here in PA. I am on a perpetual pendulum that swings back and forth when it comes to missing FL. However, it does seem biased to the FL side...let me explain why...

At first I just missed South FL because I didn't feel like I was home. My things, my bank account, my job, etc were all stuck down there until my health improved enough for me to travel back (that took about 8 months). So it was basically an inconvienance issue.

However as 2008 wore on, and the economy continued to tank, I kept hearing all these horror stories from my middle-class friends. Stories of losing sleep over foreclosure, reductions in pay/commissions, layoffs, other people either relocating or just 'falling off the grid' for various reasons. I began to feel thankful that I was not in the thick of it myself. Plus I was living unencumbered life in that I was not working, and was leaving the house for only physical therapy and to go out with friends. Also I was getting more quality time with my family then I had in years! Oh, and I completed my degree too!

But in 2009 when I got back to the workforce, I began to dislike Pittsburgh again. For one, the winter of 2009-2010 was for the birds! 20+ inches of snow is NOT my thing! I can't stand cold weather to begin with! Yet with working, I'm forced to deal with it every day. Also in spite of Pittsburgh having more things to do that are more in tune with the type of things I'm into (music, arts, recreation, etc.), I still tend to hibernate in the winter....so I only have 3-4 months of "going out". After that, it's just not fun anymore.

Also the things that have sort of sucked for me in regards to what is making me disgruntled about life are pretty much the same in both places. I am still single; however I found that it was MUCH easier to meet men that were interested in me in South Florida. I am still low-income....and yes, the cost of living is lower here in Pittsburgh. But my lower pay pretty much makes it a wash. My thinking is that with my newly earned college degree, and added experience, I should be able to command more in South Florida now then I was able to 6 years ago.

As far as driving...in spite of South Florida's crappy drivers and road rage, I actually prefer the driving down there to the driving up here! I can't stand driving on snow and ice. I've been in cars that have spun out and doing 360s in a car on the road is an absolutely HORRIBLE feeling. Oh and the roads and potholes here make you feel guilty for driving around too much....in that you are rattling your car to pieces. There are streets in Pittsburgh that I avoid SOLELY because of the potholes. This was NEVER the case in FL...and I think this is a shame. I like driving.

With all things considered, South Florida just seems more suited to me. In spite of all the negatives (including the Republican political climate), it was just a happier place for me to be in. I lived in Broward briefly...and then Miami-Dade for the majority of the time I lived there. I'm thinking that living in Palm Beach county (more liberal, more Jews) might suit me better. Who knows?
I know how you feel and I've only been in KY 6 months and winter has not even really begun. I HATE driving here - the roads are all narrow and winding and the drivers find using turn signals and staying in their lane a challenge. Not to mention that even a GPS doesn't work very well here. The freeways and most of the roads go in all different directions - meaning north, south, east AND west. Parallel roads will often intersect. Street signs are often nonexistent and are very small. Roads start out with one name and then change to another. Roads pick up and start up somewhere else - as many as 6 times! And, yes, the roads are terrible here also. Jobs do not pay well and it's difficult for an outsider to get a job - if you have some sort of hick or southern accent people tend to look at you as though you are from another planet. And if you use anything other than the most BASIC vocabulary no one understands what you are talking about. I find it all very lonely and very boring. Actually the biggest problem with Florida remains to be a terrible economy and a still fairly high cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach