U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,426,961 times
Reputation: 225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Seems like a lot of people move to Florida for health reasons too instead of here, from what I have heard. We do have a lot of "bible thumpers" and people of faith here being that it is the "Bible Belt", as people call it. We also have a lot of people who have no faith too. In some ways, living in Florida would be good for me. I have family, but we don't speak. I've tried, but it isn't worth being yelled at for no good reason and/or being ignored. Holidays are depressing for me.
They move to Florida with health issues because it's warm there, so certain health problems, like arthritis for example, don't bother you as much in a warm climate. Miami has some excellent doctors and hospitals. I had a cosmetic surgeon, who was arrogant as he could be but his personality sort of grew on me anyway, and he was excellent, the hosptial was in Miramar, close to Miami and his office was in Miami - I had to have the surgery because of skin cancer on my face and he did an excellent job and the nurses were great too. My experiences in Palm Beach county were not so good, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,426,961 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Seems like a lot of people move to Florida for health reasons too instead of here, from what I have heard. We do have a lot of "bible thumpers" and people of faith here being that it is the "Bible Belt", as people call it. We also have a lot of people who have no faith too. In some ways, living in Florida would be good for me. I have family, but we don't speak. I've tried, but it isn't worth being yelled at for no good reason and/or being ignored. Holidays are depressing for me.
Forgot to respond to your comment about going there around New Year's Eve - it depends on what you like. January is one of the month's you can get the cheapests flights to FL, but even in SE Florida it can be too chilly to really enjoy the beach. I really don't like Jan and Feb in Florida - I find it too cold. Also, if family is not an issue for you and you get a job FIRST I would encourage you to move to FL. It's a great place for a single person because they are so many single people in all age brackets so it's really easy to meet people. Having said that, you MUST BE WARY - con artists and liars are in abundance. My hairdresser met this guy who told her he was a pilot - would call her and say he'd just gotten back from Paris - long story short she had him checked out and not only was he NOT a pilot - he lived with his mother in a relatively seedy part of town. Unfortunately, this is not as uncommon as you might think. I heard LOTS of lies in Florida. And I wasn't used to that kind of thing at all! It took me years to wise up and stop trusting people right off the bat. In alot of places you trust people until they prove they cannot be trusted. In SE FL, you DON'T trust them until they prove you CAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,059,993 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I live in J-Town -it's kind of east but not REALLY east. I like Delray alot. April is beautiful in florida. Delray is nice. I really like Deerfield Beach though - check that out if you haven't already. There are nice restaurants down there where you have a full ocean view and the people are extremely friendly, not to mention the beach is beautiful - the water is clear as a bell. I always wanted to live there but unfortunately Deerfield Beach area tends to be either high end or low end housing - not much in the middle. And if you get too far west it tends to be spotty - there are some ghetto areas, especially between US 1 and Powerline. I also like West Palm's beach and the intracoastal up there is beautiful it's alot bigger than in southern Palm Beach County so the water is much prettier. City Place is a nice place to go in West Palm as well.
Hello neighbor I'm just a rock-throw away from ya...at the other end of T-Road I did drive thru Deerfield to go to Lion Safari or Monkey Jungle, I forgot. But I almost did go to Deerfield instead of Delray. Someone told me that Delray has more younger folks than Deerfield. I met a lot of people in the ocean as well as a couple of homeless men. One of them made me a souviner (sp) out of a palm tree and the other one tried to sing songs to me. It was an adventure for me indeed since I haven't had a vacation in like 15 years. I think I did go to City Place, but this place was Clemetis and they had some nice music in a park-like setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2010, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
522 posts, read 1,426,961 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Hello neighbor I'm just a rock-throw away from ya...at the other end of T-Road I did drive thru Deerfield to go to Lion Safari or Monkey Jungle, I forgot. But I almost did go to Deerfield instead of Delray. Someone told me that Delray has more younger folks than Deerfield. I met a lot of people in the ocean as well as a couple of homeless men. One of them made me a souviner (sp) out of a palm tree and the other one tried to sing songs to me. It was an adventure for me indeed since I haven't had a vacation in like 15 years. I think I did go to City Place, but this place was Clemetis and they had some nice music in a park-like setting.
OMG - I think I KNOW the homeless guy you met!! Did you meet him in Delray? Did he call himself Trapper and he made the palm leaf look like a mask? I have a good friend who lives in Ocean Ridge and he used to hang around that area - it's right across the Woolbright bridge over to AIA. He disappeared and we heard he went to Delray but he used to make these things and try to sell them. I felt really sorry for him, but then he started hanging around us too much and I was like, "Can't we just get rid of him for awhile? " (This is how you get in south Florida - sympathy only goes so far!) He was real skinny, kind of small with blonde hair and blue eyes. He started to complain all the time about the trials and tribulations of being homeless and I would say stuff like, "Well Trapper you have a really great tan!"

It's true in general that you will see younger people on the beach in Delray than in Deerfield, but at nite places like Patio Bar, JB's, etc have lots of young people hanging out and it's great fun! Lots of live music and everyone talks to everyone there.

I live right off Taylorsville Rd BTW - down Merioneth, if you know that area. Small world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,059,993 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
OMG - I think I KNOW the homeless guy you met!! Did you meet him in Delray? Did he call himself Trapper and he made the palm leaf look like a mask? I have a good friend who lives in Ocean Ridge and he used to hang around that area - it's right across the Woolbright bridge over to AIA. He disappeared and we heard he went to Delray but he used to make these things and try to sell them. I felt really sorry for him, but then he started hanging around us too much and I was like, "Can't we just get rid of him for awhile? " (This is how you get in south Florida - sympathy only goes so far!) He was real skinny, kind of small with blonde hair and blue eyes. He started to complain all the time about the trials and tribulations of being homeless and I would say stuff like, "Well Trapper you have a really great tan!"

It's true in general that you will see younger people on the beach in Delray than in Deerfield, but at nite places like Patio Bar, JB's, etc have lots of young people hanging out and it's great fun! Lots of live music and everyone talks to everyone there.

I live right off Taylorsville Rd BTW - down Merioneth, if you know that area. Small world!
Apparently, we know different homeless guys. This guy burnt with a magnifying glass my name, with Delray Beach with turtles on it and other thing. He told me he had numerous of real jobs as well as traveled around. He didn't seem homeless and never bothered me after that incident. Also, I don't believe his name was trapper. He signed this palm leaf with the inital of BB.

Oh, I know that street where you live. I go out to J-town often and when I did put my dog in boarding we go past that street too. I'm past Hikes Point but before you get to Bon Air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 6,305,115 times
Reputation: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Apparently, we know different homeless guys. This guy burnt with a magnifying glass my name, with Delray Beach with turtles on it and other thing. He told me he had numerous of real jobs as well as traveled around. He didn't seem homeless and never bothered me after that incident. Also, I don't believe his name was trapper. He signed this palm leaf with the inital of BB.

Oh, I know that street where you live. I go out to J-town often and when I did put my dog in boarding we go past that street too. I'm past Hikes Point but before you get to Bon Air.

Lol, he was probably an ex-realtor in the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,059,993 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Lol, he was probably an ex-realtor in the area...
Your funny He had something to do with artistic I recall, and he didn't look homeless since he dressed nicely. One of my repair guys told me to beware of the homeless, but that was after this happened. I'll post a picture of this item I'm talking about later. I need to upload it on my photobucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
8,964 posts, read 6,305,115 times
Reputation: 3380
There are a lot of schemes and frauds in S FL, I'm not picking on the place, I'm just saying. So just beware of someone you may think is homeless or someone asking for money, assistance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,059,993 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
There are a lot of schemes and frauds in S FL, I'm not picking on the place, I'm just saying. So just beware of someone you may think is homeless or someone asking for money, assistance, etc.

Here it is, what do ya'll think~? Thanks ComSense After that incident, the other one I ran into on the beach was more obvious to me.


Florida 2010 pictures by veggienut - Photobucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 AM
 
817 posts, read 1,930,523 times
Reputation: 993
I grew up in South Florida (well, kind of....Jupiter...if that counts). I lived in Ft Lauderdale from 99-2005.

I miss a lot about Jupiter.

I miss almost nothing about Broward county or the south Florida area as a whole. It used to be a near-paradise, but is now overrun with all manner of people that I just cannot tolerate, and it's expensive, and just too crowded.

I live in Tampa now and love it. I hope what happened to So Fla never happens here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top