Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM

522 posts, read 1,603,508 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what those of you have left south Florida feel about where you live now? I left 6 months ago after living there for 6 years and miss it so bad!!! I am currently living in Louisville, KY and just frankly hate it! No place is perfect, but south Florida is so beautiful and if you like a tropical climate I just don't know who anyone adjusts to something else! I know south Florida is expensive, full of con artists and alot of rude people, but really, there are other things that can be worse - like a horrible climate, backward people who couldn't be con artists if they tried because they aren't savy enough, and people who honestly don't like outsiders and are polite but hardly friendly. Just wondering what some of you others think and how you are adjusting to your life outside Florida??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
If you end up coming back down, talk to us first and we can help you find the nicer places to live in South Florida that can help you avoid the more negative aspects of South Florida in favor of accentuated positives!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM

85 posts, read 270,937 times
I,for one can't wait to depart,condo is currently on the market.I can only speak for the ones that have left & share there experiences.
1st friend- relocated to NE Tenn in "04" he loves it,lives on 3.75 acres pay's 775.00 in taxes a yr,he is an outdoor guy & has plenty to do with activities & hobby's the community has much to do & he's not raped to pay for eveything all the time everytime.
2nd friend- Relocated to Athens Ga in "03" he was born & raised in the Boca/delray area after 40 yrs he had enough,he stated since 2000 it had been down hill,I say since "04" hurricane season south FL has been a cesspool & getting worse. He lives on 14 acres & his taxes are 2,100 a yr
He started his own business it has grown & he has found a niche market.
While Athens is a college town it still has alot to offer according to him. I visited him 3 times & I found it to be charming & a small town feel,with southern hospitality.
3rd friend- Relocated to SC has a good job,community has alot to offer,crime is very low where he lives,corruption is nill.I was up there in July,the heat is more oppressive than here I found because it is inland,no breeze at all Period.He lives on 1 acre & pay's 480.00 a yr in taxes.He never regrets leaving S.FL.
Most everyone I have talked to after leaving has not regretted it & have done well for themselves.
NO place is a paradise or utopia & 100% perfect all the time,however I feel there is alot more beyond the FL state line,actually beyond the Martin/Palm beach line.I might add even with heating there homes it's cheaper than FPL(fools,pillage & Loot).
Homeowners Ins is cheaper,car ins is cheaper,taxes are cheaper,food is cheaper & Ga$ is cheaper.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
I just have to say it always seems to be about the money..cheaper isnt better as we know 1st hand..and most people leave for the wrong reasons....that goes for anywhere not just florida...Joanie hope u can make it back, dh has met quiet a few people that have moved back from the "cheaper states" who were sorry they left as where they lived had a whole set of different problems.. good luck to you...

Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I just have to say it always seems to be about the money..cheaper isnt better as we know 1st hand..and most people leave for the wrong reasons....that goes for anywhere not just florida...Joanie hope u can make it back, dh has met quiet a few people that have moved back from the "cheaper states" who were sorry they left as where they lived had a whole set of different problems.. good luck to you...
Thank you. I understand and am happy for people who have left FL and are happy. But one thing I said a few months ago is "You don't know where your home is until you leave it." I really feel Florida is my home. I know about it's problems, very well, crime, expense, people from other countries getting all the jobs, rudeness, a cumbersome health care system, con artists. But there are problems everywhere. And where else can you live in such a beautiful tropical climate that is warm year round? And I think the people are friendly -Louisville is VERY unfriendly -polite is NOT the same as friendly. I know you're a Boca fan, which I am not - lived there and really wasn't happy with it, but liked Delray and even Boynton believe it or not! I'll be there for a visit with my BFF next week for Thanksgiving - ahhh, lovin' your shorts and tee-shirts I'm sure! Thanks for your well wishes!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyhotviolentwestpalm View Post
I,for one can't wait to depart,condo is currently on the market.I can only speak for the ones that have left & share there experiences.
1st friend- relocated to NE Tenn in "04" he loves it,lives on 3.75 acres pay's 775.00 in taxes a yr,he is an outdoor guy & has plenty to do with activities & hobby's the community has much to do & he's not raped to pay for eveything all the time everytime.
2nd friend- Relocated to Athens Ga in "03" he was born & raised in the Boca/delray area after 40 yrs he had enough,he stated since 2000 it had been down hill,I say since "04" hurricane season south FL has been a cesspool & getting worse. He lives on 14 acres & his taxes are 2,100 a yr
He started his own business it has grown & he has found a niche market.
While Athens is a college town it still has alot to offer according to him. I visited him 3 times & I found it to be charming & a small town feel,with southern hospitality.
3rd friend- Relocated to SC has a good job,community has alot to offer,crime is very low where he lives,corruption is nill.I was up there in July,the heat is more oppressive than here I found because it is inland,no breeze at all Period.He lives on 1 acre & pay's 480.00 a yr in taxes.He never regrets leaving S.FL.
Most everyone I have talked to after leaving has not regretted it & have done well for themselves.
NO place is a paradise or utopia & 100% perfect all the time,however I feel there is alot more beyond the FL state line,actually beyond the Martin/Palm beach line.I might add even with heating there homes it's cheaper than FPL(fools,pillage & Loot).
Homeowners Ins is cheaper,car ins is cheaper,taxes are cheaper,food is cheaper & Ga$ is cheaper.
Thanks for your response. I know it is cheaper elsewhere - KY is a perfect example. But Florida is not the south except in geography and I really do not like the south. It's just not my cup of tea. Good luck on selling your condo!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,570,887 times
South Florida is beyond perfect, but I lived in a few states and prefer it here. I actually left and came back after 3 years. If I leave again, that will be it. No matter what people say, money (unless your very wealthy or live off of someone who makes good money) rules the roost here and most anywhere.

Sure you can live on less, lower your standards and pay the fees to live here and not focus on material things but you still need to pay rent, mortage, taxes, bills and etc..and if you can't land a job or lose your job what else are you going to do? Work at Wal-Mart to live here?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Thank you. I understand and am happy for people who have left FL and are happy. But one thing I said a few months ago is "You don't know where your home is until you leave it." I really feel Florida is my home. I know about it's problems, very well, crime, expense, people from other countries getting all the jobs, rudeness, a cumbersome health care system, con artists. But there are problems everywhere. And where else can you live in such a beautiful tropical climate that is warm year round? And I think the people are friendly -Louisville is VERY unfriendly -polite is NOT the same as friendly. I know you're a Boca fan, which I am not - lived there and really wasn't happy with it, but liked Delray and even Boynton believe it or not! I'll be there for a visit with my BFF next week for Thanksgiving - ahhh, lovin' your shorts and tee-shirts I'm sure! Thanks for your well wishes!
PS - Glad to hear you talk about the money and how that's not the most important thing. It costs me nearly HALF the money to live in Louisville, but I hate it! Funny thing about SE Florida, as it's called the 6th borough of NY, people DO engage you. They have personality, they TALK to you - NOT HERE! People have established their lives and have no desire to open them any wider. That is not true in Florida. Oh, I do so miss my home!!! And I'm a midwesterner BTW - but FL is my true home!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,644,866 times
Leaving South Florida was the best decision I made.

You have to understand, everyone's circumstances are different. For us a 30's couple with a 10 year old child (6 when we left) low crime and good schools was important. I felt that S. FL schools were HORRIBLE and crime rampant.

I could never call FL home because home is more than where you live. You have many fake people in FL, where it's more important where you live and what you drive, rather than who you are.

I had a friend who owned a landscaping business. He told me 95% of all of his bounced checks came from Boca. It's all about putting on a show with your house, car or breast implants. I got sick of it because I'm not a fake person.

And don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great people in FL, but in my mind the great people didn't outweigh the fakes, flakes, and crime.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Leaving South Florida was the best decision I made.

You have to understand, everyone's circumstances are different. For us a 30's couple with a 10 year old child (6 when we left) low crime and good schools was important. I felt that S. FL schools were HORRIBLE and crime rampant.
Schools in places like Boca, Wellington and Jupiter, etc. are excellent, and crime is below national average. Palm Beach County has several nationally ranked schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE
I could never call FL home because home is more than where you live. You have many fake people in FL, where it's more important where you live and what you drive, rather than who you are.
Oh yes. "Where you live" and what you drive is NEVER important in the NE at all. Especially not the city or New England. And it NEVER matters who your family is or bloodlines are in the NE.

Or in the SE, where it doesn't matter at all if you're not white, straight and Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE
I had a friend who owned a landscaping business. He told me 95% of all of his bounced checks came from Boca. It's all about putting on a show with your house, car or breast implants. I got sick of it because I'm not a fake person.

And don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great people in FL, but in my mind the great people didn't outweigh the fakes, flakes, and crime.
Don't associate with fake people and you'll be fine. Fake people are everywhere, or have we not learned that yet from Real Housewives of Atlanta, New York, OC and New Jersey?

Are there MORE "fake people" here than, say, Maine? Most likely. But I'd rather be around a run around noveau riche bimbo in Boca with implants than an stiff upper lip, uptight waspy hag named Buffy Vontrapp in Connecticut whose biggest accomplishment in life is that her family came over on the Mayflower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach