U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times

Advertisements

I have no reason to talk ill about Odyssey since I didn't research it when we were looking as it wasn't an area we wanted to live in..Having Teacher Friends in Florida for so many years I do like to ask them for opinions on schools they know about and well im sorry but Boynton Beach Schools aren't known for being so good..Im not saying they are bad either I have no experience with them I am saying that if I visit a school and don't like what I hear or see than that is my opinion and my decision whether or not my child will Succeed....so It wasn't me.. I am from NYC I do not live in a bubble thank you as I grew up In Brooklyn in apt buildings and we had no money and I attended city schools...with that being said, we chose boca because of what the school offers our child and the fact that it is in fact rated number 2 in PBC behind Sun Coast and they hand pick their students...(sun coast that is ) with that being said My child attended another HS and was not challenged and this is a kid that is an average student however doesn't mean it wont work for someone else...Schools were a 1st priority for us and well what else can I say..Again my perception was what I saw and from people I know 1st hand with experience as well as talking to kids that attend the school...I also disagree that a child can learn anywhere, my son is very average and in schools in the past he wasn't able to get the assistance he needed or extra help nor did the teachers care enough...I get emails from his teachers, I speak to his guidance Counselor once a week, and his teachers give him whatever help it is he needs which is why he is in the school he is in...and I have no issues with Diversity...and where I went to HS it was extremely Di versed....

Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM

82 posts, read 194,372 times
How do you know that all Boynton Schools aren't very good. Didn't you just say that you didn't research Odyssey? The problem here is you comment on a lot of things here that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Stop with the "I heard my friend is a teacher" crap. I have friends who are teachers in PBC also. Should I post on here what they say about Boca? Of course I wouldn't do that. But they do say they are all snobs. Except where your children go to school of course. Obviously I don't mean this, as I am just trying to make a point. Why don't you stick to the facts. Unfortunately people from all over read this forum and hopefully they don't listen to your BS as gospel and research the facts for themselves.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM

If you feel your happy with the schools and if that is your experience than great. you would know best doesnt mean people have to agree, and No I will say except where my children go because you obviously dont know me very well...there are snobs in all schools I dont care where you live my children happen to have nice friends who Aren't Snobby or Stuck Up and neither are their parents...I never said there weren't Snobs...There are snobs in Boca High too but its a Good School and I would send my kids there...oh and obviously you havent seen my Review on Boca Elem and or Boca Middle...and yes I visited myself and spoke with teachers in those schools as we were looking to move to east boca and they felt OMNI was the best suited for my child which is where she will attend anyhow...I would not send my child to Boca Elem or Boca Middle but that would be my choice for my reasons...its no different than me saying oh "I was told not to go to East Boca because of the Schools" for our family We wouldn't however we do love East Boca..however we would Definitely send to the HS even if its filled with snobs..Because there are nice kids there too..It boils down to Academics and long before we moved to boca we knew they had some of the best schools in PBC...My son also Attended West Boca HS and weren't personally happy with that school.Academically as he wasn't challenged so I speak of 1st hand experience...My friends didn't Choose Boynton because it wasn't what they were looking for when they came to visit recently and yes they did go up to the schools the only one they were happy with what they heard was Park Vista...so you are wrong since you have no idea who I am persay and if Odyssey Middle is a good school then Great again people need to do their homework that is the bottom line.. .but you are right people do take this board for Gospel as they shouldn't..They should listen to peoples Opinions which should be just that and not Bashing but their Opinions as Everyone else's might be different as well as everyone else's Experiences and again I know what I was told and since I have a special needs child who learns differently Boca was the best place for her in OUR opinion..so Boynton Beach wasnt an option as a very good friend of mine grew up in Boynton Beach as her kids attend Park Vista which happens to be a very good school. but if im not mistaken that school was rezoned and now some of Boynton goes to Olympic Heights..so for our daughter YES I do listen to my Teacher Friends as well as other parents whom have experience with certain schools however I said "Boynton beach isnt known for their schools" .well guess what, where we lived in NC they werent known for their schools either and they were ok...BUT people need to do their homework and make their own determination....Never EVER go off just what people say...I know all about the Stereo Type about our Schools here Boca I heard it from an Olympic Heights Teacher we were talking in Publix and she said "oh yeah those kids at Spanish River and Boca High well they are a bunch of snobs" and my answer to her was actually they aren't then she says to me well my daughter didnt get into Spanish River but thats ok because she is better off" and you know what thats fine...My son's friends are very nice kids and so are their parents as that is MY EXPERIENCE...some of my son's swimming friends..With that being Said If people want to know the difference in schools then they should take a look at the report card? when I compare schools in other areas I look at a number of things..as Test Scores arent the way to tell whether or not a school is good..I do however look at academic performance what the school has to offer and if my children will fit in...We have been visiting florida for 15 years...and always knew we were looking in Wellington or Boca with Boca being our 1st Choice...with that being Said My son's HS yes people think is snobby im sorry but we haven't encountered that all his friends are extremely nice and so are the parents...HIS HS also is known as well as Boca High to be very competitive..it just so happens our Middle school has a great program for our daughter so that is where she will be attending....So the answer is YES I do listen to people who have Experience in the School System..as I would hope someone would do their research...After my friend DID her research she and her dh made the decision to not look in Boynton and will concentrate on other areas..I also Recommend Jupiter as they have a very good school system...I'm sorry if you are offended but I wont apologize for my friend doing her homework, or for me to tell people to research the schools 1st and make their decision...Nor am I not going to not tell people what I know from people who did their research again I'm not telling people to take it as Gospel either...What I find acceptable someone else obviously might fine not acceptable for them what does upset me is when people DON'T do their homework again Me stating that they weren't known for their schools doesnt make it bad it just means if someone is interested they need to research it for themselves ...and think since I live here and my friend doesnt I was doing some reserach for her.. I know what people say about Boca and that is their opinion..I know different...Academically there is not much you can that Bad here in Boca so Our son is doing very well and if its snobby well so be it if he is getting a good education I wont be complaining...I didnt say NOT to live there I said my friends wont be interested because of the HS...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 01-05-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM

OK...... Just the facts please. You may have your own opinions of course but please try to be factually correct when stating those opinions. That is all I ask. When certain people post on here their "opinion" if it is factually wrong then it is still wrong no matter what.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Ok I will let people refer to the Report Card so they can determine what school is right for their child...although that doesn't give the whole picture im sorry to say...

http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp-this (broken link) one is for Odyssey Middle but you can check any school...This school has positive Parent Review again that is important

http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp- (broken link) and this one is for Olympic since these were what we were discussing..again one can check any school..

this site you can check off Palm Beach and then the Next Screen you can choose your school

so this way people can make their own decisions

and not all children learn the same nor do some schools accommodate certain needs and if they do some do it better than others...Schools become a Personal Choice basically

Last edited by Swimmom32; 01-06-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 PM

239 posts, read 412,247 times
5312 did you see the report card? greatschools.org

Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM

GreatSchools.org Search: boynton beach
http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/...om..HeaderLink
this is another tool you can use..

Last edited by Swimmom32; 01-06-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 AM

Of course I have seen the grades. That is not my point. My child has done excellent there and that is what matters. Just stop badmouthing a school because it is not Spanish River in Boca.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 AM

623 posts, read 1,103,728 times
to 5312 ???????? Why do you care so much if someone is commenting on the school?

I'm smart enough to form my own opinion BUT appreciate the opinion of another parent, especially when it comes to my kids and the environment they're in 8 hours a day.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM

26 posts, read 48,951 times
I'm having a home built there right now! Odyssey Middle School it is. I have two toddlers. By the time my kids get to high school, things may be totally different. I certainly didn't base my home location on their middle or high school. Both of which I am told are perfectly fine, by mothers who have their children attend them. Most everything depends on how the parents raise their kids. Who cares who they attend school with? The teachers are great from what I hear! The high school is actually gorgeous and practically brand new. Yes, they bus in children from not so desirable neighborhoods, that are not fortunate enough to live in the Canyons, but how can those children ruin a school? I hope you will post what you were going to say so I can get a reality check in case these women are blowing smoke up my butt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach