Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 28,817 times

Advertisements

PARKLAND, Florida (CNN) -- Yorelle Haroush fled a million-dollar South Florida home this week, chased out, she said, by drywall made in China that's emitting vapors that smell like rotten eggs.

"It's making me sick. Physically, mentally and emotionally, making me sick," said the 18-year-old, who is pregnant with her first child.

Get out of house with Chinese drywall, doctor tells family - CNN.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
Does anyone have any experience with replacing Chinese dry wall? I've looking through many real estate listings and have found some spectacular deals on places that have CDW. A lot of very luxurious houses in Parkland that go for under 400k that have CDW.

For instance, would anyone know the approximate cost to replace the drywall in a house that has around 2,000 sq ft? Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
It's been awhile, but I had an investor that was going to buy a cd home and gut it. It was 4500 sqft and our quotes from from 250-325k if I remember correctly.
Depends on how long the house has been sitting, upgrades, etc
You really have to get a good value though, who knows how long that negative stigma of CD will effect the value.
You have to buy cash and insurance will be an issue as well.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 PM

232 posts, read 773,443 times
I wonder if there is a bigger danger of NOT smelling the gas but the drywall being present.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Cool Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
Does anyone have any experience with replacing Chinese dry wall? I've looking through many real estate listings and have found some spectacular deals on places that have CDW. A lot of very luxurious houses in Parkland that go for under 400k that have CDW.

For instance, would anyone know the approximate cost to replace the drywall in a house that has around 2,000 sq ft? Thanks!

From the articles I have read about Chinese Drywall...it is almost impossible 2 remove it completely......for as you pull it off the walls and ceiling the drywall breaks apart and the dust/powder goes everywhere...then you have to remove anything copper...electrical wire, plumbing, appliances, air conditioning compressor and blower, etc...and don't forget the insulation......for by now it is full of drywall dust and particles...

After all of this...you can lift the carpets and hope you catch everything that has fallen on to it...then you can buy or rent one of those super expensive vacuums and begin sucking up everything that you missed...basically you have to strip the house down to the beams, studs and flooring...before you can start over...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach