Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Most people in PBC are in their 40's and 50's, there's not that many people in their 20's and 30's. Most people I know who grew up in WPB moved out to big cities like NYC, Chicago and the Bay Area because they got better jobs there or went to grad school there and it's fun to live in a city when you're young--less so as you get older. PBC is better than when I was a kid when it was just strip malls and fast food, but it's still really suburban.
Nah, Wellington, Royal Palm Beach, etc. is suburban and strip mallish. Not where I live, and not downtown Lake Worth or WPB.

I grew up on the Treasure Coast. Even more suburban and nothing to do than PBC. Most I grew up with did NOT end up in NYC, Chicago or the bay area. Most ended up in Florida's urban centers -- Miami, Tampa, Jax, Orlando, etc., or in even smaller towns elsewhere.

BTW, the median age in New York City is just two years younger than WPB, and San Fran and WPB have the same median age.

But I digress. Again, what do you do on a day to day basis in Oakland that is so different and so much more fun than what I or other working, professional 28 year olds would do on a day to day basis in WPB? I understand there is "more" in big cities, but I don't know too many people I work with my age that spend every night out till 3AM anymore....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I like downtown Lake Worth but it's gotten rather dumpy again after a nice revival, and it's like two blocks long. Clematis in WPB is similarly small and I haven't been there in years. There's just no urban life in PBC. Either you prefer it or you don't. I don't go to "clubs" at all but I just like being in the middle of a large urban area. If I go to Toojay's in LW I'll be the youngest person in the room by 30 years, if I go to a diner in Oakland I'm practically ancient, lol.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I like downtown Lake Worth but it's gotten rather dumpy again after a nice revival, and it's like two blocks long. Clematis in WPB is similarly small and I haven't been there in years. There's just no urban life in PBC. Either you prefer it or you don't. I don't go to "clubs" at all but I just like being in the middle of a large urban area. If I go to Toojay's in LW I'll be the youngest person in the room by 30 years, if I go to a diner in Oakland I'm practically ancient, lol.
I think downtown Lake Worth is better than ever. It's actually quite vibrant, almost more vibrant on many nights than Clematis.

And, Toojays is made for old people! I eat there but know I'm going to be with the geriatric crowd. (btw, there is a Toojays in the Wellington mall). Now, if I go to Rocco's Tacos or Cabanas downtown, I won't be! I was out on Clematis on a Saturday night a month or so ago and I felt like the old guy.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Thank you for the replies, everyone!

Not sure why Oakland keeps being brought up as a point of comparison. You couldn't pay me to live there. Same goes for NYC and Chicago.

The only two areas I am seriously considering at this point are WPB and PSL. Tampa and Orlando were on my initial list, but they were scratched early on. PSL is close to the same fate, as I am becoming more sold on WPB each day. Now I just have to hammer out the minutiae, get my condo in Nashville sold quickly, and make the move.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Because I live in Oakland and he/she saw that and started commenting on it.

If you live in PSL again what do you want to do? If all you want is a suburban house in an area with little traffic and nearby beaches and to occasionally go to small bars and restaurants without a lot of selection, and mainly to sit at home doing whatever, then PSL might be better. But that is the kind of life I would see more for someone in their 40's and 50's or later who just wants to kick up their feet.

If you want all of that but are willing to put up with a slightly busier area, but also have more access to things like art exhibitions, theaters, concerts, and a lot more options in terms of bars and restaurants and shopping, then I would go with the WPB area. It's suburban and relaxed but there's also enough things going on that you can get out and do stuff.

If you feel comfortable in PSL and don't think you'd be bored then by all means go for it. I've never spent much time in PSL but I imagine that the social scene trends towards teenagers or people in their 40's and older. WPB can have this same issue and isn't going to be as packed with young singles like a big city or someplace like Miami but it should be a lot better than PSL.

Last edited by mayorhaggar; 01-04-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 9,503 times
WPB is a great place for a single person your age. I'm selling my 2 Br. 2 Ba. Condo in West Palm Beach. It is in The Strand Condominium. Call me if you're interested. Marty 240-447-0258

Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
Brother in law just bought a place in PSL. Fwiw, he is close to age 60 and wanted things quiet.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Skip PSL. You'll die. Of boredom. I left PSL a couple years ago (in my late 20's). I found a job and bought a place in the palm beaches. I've lived in PSL since I was in highschool so, believe me, you won't last long there. And no, you will NOT want to drive down to palm beach on the weekends just for fun. Way the heck too much of a hassle. Palm Beach county is an excellent alternative for young singles. It's great for your social life and EXCELLENT for your professional life. I left and never thought twice to return to PSL. My parents still live there and it's GREAT for them. They love it and I don't blame them. (They're retired) LOL.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Sure, I'll send you a few good options.
Chamber of Commerce of the Palm Beaches - Young Professionals of the Palm Beaches - YPOP
This is a nice group I'm part of down here. If you decide to move down here it's a good way to meet people.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Are you part of YPOP? My gf used to run it. I just found a home for the girl that runs it now (Alex).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach