U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM

59 posts, read 118,784 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking on these boards for quite some time and finally decided to post.

I am NY-er who will be relocating to Boca this summer. I have twin boys in the 3rd grade. They are both in the gifted program. Schools are the absolute #1 priority.

We are coming down in February to do some reserch and narrow down where we will move. We are planning on renting initially.

My research has shown that housing is newer and more spacious in W Boca.

What are the drawbacks then? How far is it from the beach? How are the schools in comparison with Central Boca?

Any information or opinions is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,554,226 times
Hi. I am not an expert but will try to help a little. To me Central Boca is newer with more gated country club homes then West. A lot will depend on what type of home you are looking for and your budget. I think renting is very good idea because it will allow you to explore. What one person may like another may not. Most of Boca it won't take too long to get to the ocean. If you want waterfront though that would be East Boca which I also heard is a younger crowd.
On the West vs Central some times it is confusing on if a home is Central or West so just keep that in mind. Also I have seen rental ads where a unit will say Central when in realty it is not etc. Good luck with your move and trip

Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 6,747 times
West Boca is probably going to average about 10 miles away from the beach.

On the school front its probably about even. West Boca is going to have the better elementary schools (although Verde Elementary in Boca Del Mar is awesome) and Central and East will have the better Middle (Boca Middle or Omni) and High Schools (Boca High or Spanish River) IMO.

The housing is newer, less expensive and sometimes larger in West Boca but it might be harder to sell in the future and certain areas are a bit sketchy. Stay away from the Sandalfoot area. Anything south of there (Marina and 441) will be considered "Coconut Creek" rather than Boca. Mission Bay and north is ok. The Boca Chase area is very nice as well. Also, with the way the zoning is here, by living in "West Boca" you, in some cases, will be considered a county resident and won't be entitled to some of the benefits of being a "city resident". (Free dog park stickers, discounted beach passes, etc)

Living in central Boca will put you closer to "the action" so to speak. There are more shops and restaurants and things to do the closer in you get to "downtown" (I pretty much use the area between Mizner Park and Town Hall (2nd and Palmetto Park road) as my center oint for "downtown". Depending on where you are you will either be classified as a city resident, city annexed resident or country resident. Being a city resident comes with the perks mentioned above plus discounted city recreational classes. It will also put you closer to the Beach.

I live in Central Boca right now but I have lived in east most of my life.

Last edited by PrincessPeach430; 01-20-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 02:03 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times
I agree with the Above except for the Elem School Part..Del Prado is Central..our daughter attends Calusa its a good school they have done right by her but if I had my choice again it would have been Del Prado...which by far is better than and some of the other elem's in West Boca Waters Edge (my daughter attended there and was not happy) Sanpipper however is also a good school, and the Middle Schools Princess is right on target which was the main reason we moved from West Boca to Central Boca as our son attended West Boca and and wasnt challenged so he moved to Spanish River HS and for our family it was the best move...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM

623 posts, read 1,103,545 times
Can any one comment on sandpiper vs Del prado vs Verde? NO FLAMES on opinions please

Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM

there isnt much difference with Verde and Del Prado when I visited other than I just had a good feel for Del Prado.however we chose Calusa and should have gone with my instinct....As far as Sandpiper there isnt anything wrong with it but they then attend Loggers Run which was not our choice which is why we moved...I would check PBC school site to compare..

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM

623 posts, read 1,103,545 times
do you mean the middle school is loggers run after sandpiper?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
do you mean the middle school is loggers run after sandpiper?
Yes
and Omni was the only middle school we were going to send our daughter..

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM

32 posts, read 96,064 times
Default West over Central for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
Can any one comment on sandpiper vs Del prado vs Verde? NO FLAMES on opinions please
We just moved to West Boca - Sandpiper district - in June. I have a 3rd grader and preschooler. We had focused on the Del Prado district originally - my daughter is gifted and could go there anyway from West Boca - but it was important to us to have a 'neighborhood' school, so we kept her at Sandpiper.

We lived in Boca del Mar neighborhood 11 yrs ago and liked the area, but looking in that area this time - we wanted 4 bedrooms - just weren't finding anything in Del Prado or Verde districts that we liked.

So here we are out west. It's pretty suburban - but we enjoy being close to the western parks, all the shopping - and we walk/bike to school every day. Good for meeting neighbors.

We've met several families with kids in Loggers Run that like the school - even some whose kids went to gifted program at Del Prado and are now at LR.

It is a 20 min ride to the beach - but we go at least 1x/month - more when it's HOT.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:00 AM

32 posts, read 96,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateway142 View Post
We are coming down in February to do some reserch and narrow down where we will move. We are planning on renting initially.
Oh - and our next door neighbors are moving to a larger house and are planning to rent their 3 BR soon - it's in good shape!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach