U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 PM

75 posts, read 161,946 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am planning a move to Florida. And, coming from the Midwest I am used to and enjoy quaint downtown areas for shopping, dining, and entertainment. It appears that a lot of the beach communities from Fort Lauderdale to Daytona lack a core downtown area. It seems that strip malls are the norm. In a perfect world (for me) I would love to go out my front door and be able to walk to everything I need in a quaint downtown shopping area. Are there any such areas on the East Coast of Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,649 times
google "downtown delray beach, fl"

Old 02-05-2011, 02:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,425,538 times
- Delray Beach: nice but I don't know what crime in the area is like.
- Lake Worth: some really cool bars and restaurants but has gotten a little dumpy again and there is low-level crime in the residential areas nearby.
- the city of Palm Beach: super wealthy but a fun place to visit to see the architecture and glitz.

More manufactured walkable areas: Jupiter and Boca Raton

Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,635,052 times
In terms of a "downtown core" where you truly have everything you need in Walking Distance, the only thing I can think of is Cityplace area, where you have a grocery store, restaurants, salons, clothes shopping, bars, drycleaners, etc., all within a half mile radius. Not particularly "quaint" though (there is free trolley, lol!)

Downtown Lake Worth area is getting a publix supermarket that might make that more attractive. If you look into Lake Worth, closer to the water is key. I mentioned this to someone else just today, but you can probably have a beach village lifestyle if you live in the parrot cove neighborhood area of Lake Worth.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:39 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,376,883 times
Saint Augustine, Florida. Great "old world" little city Founded in 1565 by Spanish explorers, it is the oldest continuosly occupied European-established city and port in the continental US. Located midway between Jacksonville and Dayrona Beach Florida (60 miles from either). Beautiful beaches lie just 5 miles south of the city. Flagler Hospital (a first class hospital), Flagler College (always tops in the rankings) and the much respected Florida School for the Deaf and Blind are located here. We have many art galleries, wonderful restaurants, live theaters, an opera company and residents who give of themselves through volunteerism. The Council on Aging here has won many awards for their inocative programs and services. If you have never visited, you must come and check it out. You won't find anything else like it.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:17 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,425,538 times
St. Augustine is a fun place to visit but very touristy.

Anastasia State Park is a really really nice place to camp though and right near the beach, one of the parks I enjoyed most in FL that me and my family camped at when I was growing up...hopefully it's still as nice.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,376,883 times
Well... St. Augustine is a tourist destination in many people's minds, because they are tourists when they visit, they do the historical tourist thing / beach/ state park or whatever for a day and then they go home. Yes, our downtown area has tourists shops just like every other community up and down the coasts of Florida. But we also have stores where the locals shop for clothes, shoes, furniture and household goods when we don't want the box store stuff and where we bank, get haircuts and go to the library and church. I can assure you that we have a very unique hometown here with people who go to work in traditional jobs, support our local merchants and love our community of friends and neighbors who make this a special place. The poster from the midwest looking for a quaint town with shopping, restaurants and entertainment should check us out on her way south. I and other transplanted midwesterners I know who have moved here, started out on a mission to find where in FL to settle. We would come to FL for 2 one week visits a year and stay somehwere different each trip. After one week in St. Augustine, we knew we had found home. I've been here 12 years and have loved every minute of it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 AM
JPA

1 posts, read 3,374 times
Ironically I am also planning a move to South Florida and have wondered the same question. The only area I have personally seen (coming from the "town center" areas of the northeast is Delray Beach. I saw City Place which seemed nice but all high end shopping vs small town center - To someones point, I don't anything about the town but cool vibe town center (which is also beach front)

Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,635,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA View Post
Ironically I am also planning a move to South Florida and have wondered the same question. The only area I have personally seen (coming from the "town center" areas of the northeast is Delray Beach. I saw City Place which seemed nice but all high end shopping vs small town center - To someones point, I don't anything about the town but cool vibe town center (which is also beach front)
West Palm's downtown core is anchored by and includes Cityplace, but really extends beyond Cityplace through to Clematis and down to the waterfront.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,204,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thitzler View Post
Hi, I am planning a move to Florida. And, coming from the Midwest I am used to and enjoy quaint downtown areas for shopping, dining, and entertainment. It appears that a lot of the beach communities from Fort Lauderdale to Daytona lack a core downtown area. It seems that strip malls are the norm. In a perfect world (for me) I would love to go out my front door and be able to walk to everything I need in a quaint downtown shopping area. Are there any such areas on the East Coast of Florida?
Brickell Ave in Miami, Atlantic Ave in Delray, City Place in West Palm. I live in the northeast and I am very familar with FL. Brickell a neighorhood in downtime Miami is the closet to a city/urban core that FL has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach