U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM

330 posts, read 495,728 times

Advertisements

First of all, get NATIVE plants. Lawns came from england where it rains almost every day. Lawns in South Florida are a WASTE of water, energy and time. So get rid of that lawn and get native plants that are designed to live in this type of climate. Speaking of the climate, this is the tropics, so you have long dry spells, and then the rainy season comes. That time is just about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 AM

16,392 posts, read 13,054,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
First of all, get NATIVE plants. Lawns came from england where it rains almost every day. Lawns in South Florida are a WASTE of water, energy and time. So get rid of that lawn and get native plants that are designed to live in this type of climate. Speaking of the climate, this is the tropics, so you have long dry spells, and then the rainy season comes. That time is just about now.
Okay. After we get all those native plants and get rid of our lawns,
will we ever get any damn rain?

(hey(!)...what "energy" and "time" is being wasted by having a lawn? I mean, the energy part - isn't that exercise? The time part -
isn't that better than just sitting around? I rather enjoy the thought of putting some effort into a lawn.)

I'm not trying to tear apart your statements/opinion, but I don't think it rains almost every day in England. Our weather, here in the tropics, has changed very much as well.

I do appreciate your conservation-oriented mindset, though.
I conserve water like nobody else I've ever met.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM

Default using a lawn mower? = waste

Using a lawnmower is a waste, and again if you had more native plants you could spend less time taking care of them, they would be healthier, and you could relax in your paradise. You could excerisize with walking, yoga, weightlifting, etc. and thanks for your nice comment.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,428,575 times
Lawns definitely need a LOT of water or they turn all brown and then your neighbors will give you the evil eye. Look up "xeriscaping." Using native plants definitely helps but they still need some water in the summer.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,097,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
Good post. I have lived in the same house about 35 years and have gone from manicured lawns and shrubs to various other landscaping designs/schemes. Right now, my front yard is a cottage type garden, I know some don't like that but, it works for me. I have grass in the back but under huge oak trees, along with about 30 camillias. I have gone to quite a few natives but I still have other plants, as well as, a lot of things in big tubs/pots. My front yard is also my septic tank system so I have to be careful of what I plant. No matter, it still requires an unseemingly amount of water and the sun actually burns the leaves during the day.....I try to limit fertilizers and bug sprays.

I have 5 rainbarrels, made from plastic and they apparantly had olives or something shipped in them. I paid $30 a piece and they had the faucet installed already. they could be painted but I don't bother. I bought them from the county extension agency. Very serviceable.

I resent that I have to deny my flowers, vegetables and shrubs water so that the influx of people can be accommodated (?). Not fair.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Default well, its finaly raining!

Hey its raining...

Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
I am trying to find out if it rained in the Lower Keys recently...Cudjoe Key to be exact. Sure could use a "Keys" locale, since weather is very different from the Miami area to the maritime Keys area.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,760,092 times
Gettin that damn rain right now! I've never seen my dogs so freaked out.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,442,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The last time we had a delayed dry season was 2005, and I remember the same in 2004, 1992 and 1986. In most of those years you know what comes later....
Exactly what the UPS guy and I were talking about this afternoon.

Well we got a pretty good soaking yesterday, and a good storm passed south of us tonite.

Haven't mowed the grass in 2 months. But when you don't have a HOA you don't have to walk the line. I'll get out there tomorrow if it stays below 95 in the afternoon.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
Ckvar if you go to weather history online you can put in a specific day or month and it shows past weather history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach