U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM

59 posts, read 119,430 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move next year from NY. We have 9 year old twin boys and school is very important. I know Boca has a great reputation for having good schools...but from what I understand so does Aventura.

I realize that both places are totally different from each other and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on either or a comparison of both.

We are coming down for a few days next week to drive around and take a look at Aventura and Boca (particularly like the new community Azura).

Work is not an issue as we both work from home.

I want to have a spacious home which leads me to favor Boca, yet I don't want to be far from the action (shopping, restaurants, etc). Although we are in our late 30's we are very social and stylish and "young"...leading me to favor Aventura due to it's proximity to Miami.

Ultimately of course schools (public) are top priority and the best life for our kids.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated....thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,803,940 times
You would have to compare them thru the school districts website and accountability Reports...We have friends from swim who live in Aventura and the schools are ok they said but I dont have Experience with them so I cant tell you but I can tell you we love our Schools...Dh works in Miami so we had considered moving closer at one point but we love our schools here in Boca and we really like living here so we ruled it out, plus the proximity to Everything n boca worked for us..Aventura is very nice so You would have to look at both areas and talk to the schools in both areas to get a "feel" so to speak of which area suits your needs...

Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 PM

71 posts, read 156,481 times
I can't comment on the school system since I have no kids, but I prefer Boca vs. Aventura. I'm not a high rise person. If you're planning on spending all your time in Miami, it's a no brainer - Aventura is much closer. It takes me around 30-45 min. from Boca to Aventura and about 1 hr. from Boca to Miami. Boca is very clean & manicured.

Best of luck to you wherever you end up!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Hi everyone...thanks so much for your replies.

We are definitely not going to be spending all of our time in Miami...but would like to go out to dinner in the area on weekends. Maybe spend a weekend at the Gansevoort here and there (no kids of course!).

I am definitely not a high rise person, having lived in a house my whole life, and I do prefer more living space and more land.

Ultimately, I do want the best life for my children. Having grown up in Brooklyn, I would like for them to have everything I always wanted....great schools, friendly people, great weather, afterschool activities, etc...YET I want them to be cultured and street smart and have access to a 'city' as well. We do spend a lot of time in NYC going to shows, museums, restaurants, parks.

All of your opinions and experiences are greatly appreciated...please keep them coming!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Well DH and I both grew up in Brooklyn, lived in Staten Island for 3 years and then NJ for 10..then lived in NC for 2 long years, and our kids love it here...But we have been visiting south florida for a long time before kids..lol Anyway, You will find alot of Nyker's here in Boca/South Florida and I have found them to be very nice..a few of my kids friends are from NY and NJ as well...Our Friends are from all over but have mainly lived in Boca for a long time...We go out to eat quiet often and love the restaurants here we venture out and head to south beach for dinner with my aunt and uncle who live here as well, and sometimes with the kids sometimes without the kids although they love Miami Beach, we stay in Boca, we go to downtown delray, we go to Las Olas in ft lauderdale...Not a big deal to drive it from here...Our Schools where we live in my opinion are excellent and we have been very happy..Our son will be a Junior at Spanish River HS and our Daughter will be in Middle School at Omni Middle...I would still advise looking at both areas if your interested...Good Luck

Old 06-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks Swimmom. I always love reading your posts. I actually live in Staten Island now. If we end up in Boca, it will be the Omni/Spanish River school district. I have read enough to know that is the best.

I know that Avenutra has good elementary/middle schools...just not sure about high school.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Well the HS that our friends dd go to is just ok she said when I asked her...but she said they dont compare to the HS's here in Boca...my son loves Spanish River and my daughter is a bit nervous but she will be attending Omni...If I can help you out, please let me know...My sister lives in Staten Island...and my Parents in NJ in the summer and florida in the winter...

Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 AM

71 posts, read 156,481 times
[quote=YET I want them to be cultured and street smart and have access to a 'city' as well. We do spend a lot of time in NYC going to shows, museums, restaurants, parks.quote]

Boca has more living space and is prettier IMO. Boca or Aventura does not come close to NYC. I also lived in L.A. and to me that's not a city either that compares to NYC. Everything is spread out and is missing "an energy level and sophistication that can not be duplicated as in NYC". I still miss NY during XMAS. It's still weird for me to see christmas lights on palm trees. Each city has it's own pros and cons - one just has to accept them.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 AM

[quote=runwiththewind4;19451449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YET I want them to be cultured and street smart and have access to a 'city' as well. We do spend a lot of time in NYC going to shows, museums, restaurants, parks.quote

Boca has more living space and is prettier IMO. Boca or Aventura does not come close to NYC. I also lived in L.A. and to me that's not a city either that compares to NYC. Everything is spread out and is missing "an energy level and sophistication that can not be duplicated as in NYC". I still miss NY during XMAS. It's still weird for me to see christmas lights on palm trees. Each city has it's own pros and cons - one just has to accept them.
I agree with you about NYC Christmas time..we would go to 5th ave since dh used to work Midtown after working on wall street and it was always beautiful with all the lights and the Tree..

Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 PM

The good things is...NY is a 2.5 hr plane ride away! My parents are still here and we can come visit any time we want. I feel like it's the best of both worlds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach