U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 PM

32 posts, read 84,810 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am a teacher that just got hired at a school in Lantana and would start the middle of August. I am relocating from Georgia and have been coming up empty on possible apartments as 1). I had a lousy ex who had cosigned for a car and house and when I left he stopped paying for both, so I was forced to declare bankruptcy and 2). My college loan payments are unusually high and I still have one year left on the loan of my car. All of the apartments that are in my price range have gotten horrible reviews on apartmentratings.com or are located in a bad neighborhood.

I need some help!!!! Honestly, I cannot afford a 900 dollar a month apartment with a 700 dollar college loan payment and a 300 dollar car payment. I was looking into private rentals, but they required first, last, and security and I just don't have that much right now (I was laid off). I would like recommendations for reasonably priced apartments/cottages/mobile homes for rent within a 20 mile radius of Lantana. My family members are willing to cosign for me if needed as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,379,679 times
Maybe the principal of the school (where you will be teaching) can give you some suggestions. Perhaps she knows another teacher who is looking for a roomate. Craigslist room shares catagory might turn up something as well.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks, I am thinking that I am going to look to rent a guest house, I saw some on Craigslist that looked nice and were reasonably priced.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 PM

I guest house sounds like a good option. Just be sure you get the length lease you want, especially if it is furnished. Many furnished guest houses in that area rent for much higher (premium) rents in the "snowbird" winter months (Dec - April). Some landlords do not want to tie them up for a lower rent by renting annually. I'm sure you will find something that will work for you if you are diligent in your search. Best wishes in your search and in your new teaching position. You are very fortunate to have landed a job. I assume that you know that teachers in Florida no longer have tenured positions and pay raises are now based on a merit pay schedule based on the annual state testing of their students.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Yes, I was aware of the merit based pay, but not sure how that will work for teacher of students who do not take the state tests but instead have an alternate portfolio type thing. I also read that merit based pay, etc will not go into effect until 2014, so who knows what will happen until then?

As for the tenure issues, My sister teachers in GA, they get contracts every year and the district can decide not to give a teacher, even a seasoned veteran, a contract if they deem it necessary. I also know that in Delaware, where I was laid off, it's all about seniority in the district and the school you teach in - meaning you could be teaching for 12 years (My friend had 12 yrs experience teaching in Delaware) but was RIF'ed because she was one of the last ones hired at the school. By luck she got another position, but in the worst school in the state.

It really is frustrating about merit based pay, especially when you teach children with severe disabilities, but I am thinking that pay for teachers of these kids would be based on IEP goal performance and performance on the alternate assessment????

I'm happy to have a job, and I have the autism endorsements that a teacher of students with autism is required to have starting this year... Not enough people have it, so my job security is a little different... But should I worry about moving to Florida??? I hear people complain about the education system down there, but honestly it is like that everywhere right now - Delaware proposed a 8.5 percent pay cut along with 5 furlough days, teachers complained and it was lowered to 2.5 percent, but still, that amounts to a lot... NYC schools are laying off thousands of teachers, My best friend is a spec. ed teacher in New Jersey and she is once again looking for a position with no luck.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Special Education teachers will be exempt from the merit pay provisions. My sister just retired from teaching profoundly autistic middle school students in MD. Due to all the unfunded mandates and ever increasing class size, teaching had become more and more stressful for her. She moved to Florida last week and hopes to do private consulting work for parents and their autistic children. Your position is a difficult one. I hope your principal and the Palm Beach County School District gives you the support you need to be an effective teacher of these challenging students.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:37 PM

thanks! I understand it can be a very stressful job- 2009-2010 school year I was hired to take over for a teacher who quit the first week of school. The admin. decided to put two high functioning on grade level students with Asberger's with four lower functioning students who were self contained - and the two inclusion kids were identical twins with behavior issues. Needleless to say, it was a hot mess and completely overwhelming for me. But luckily I had good support and finally got the hang of it by the end of the year. However, the program/schools I worked for are touted as one of the best in the country for kids with autism and definitely hold teachers to a higher standard than let's say, Georgia (from experience special education is a lot different in the South). The school I was at expected more from the teachers and the results show what we did works very well. I know it is not necessarily like that in Florida, however that experience will carry with me. To be quite honest, I plan on running my classroom just like I would if I was at my old school up North. I saw results and loved what I did... I told my old principal the other day that I planned on bringing part of our program down to Florida and showing them what we are capable of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach