U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
But why do you care? does it really bother you what other people have, do or say? Live your life, have fun, who gives a ___ about stuff.

You don't have to like where you live (do you live in Boca?) but other people might BE very happy there. ????? It's a pretty popular place with tons to offer for many different kinds of people!
Yes she does live in Boca and is very unhappy or let me rephrase she thinks the majority of Boca people are not nice, or stuck up because they live and drive what they do...I think she finds it difficult to believe people actually do like living here I know we do.....as well as our kids....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:28 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
Swim I can answer for myself. In many of my posts I say how I can see for the right person such as a retired person Boca could be a nice place to live. They would be near others who are in similar situation and if a snow bird could escape the heat. I have family in Boca who are very happy but at the same time they are very materialistic.
Also like I have said before I have lived in wealthier cities then Boca and I did not seem the same shallow/snobby nature I see in Boca. I stated Jupiter as a good possibility for the OP because it does seem more down to earth yet good schools/upscale.
Sakirav I answered the question stated about a non materialistic place. It seems on these boards no negative can be said especially about Boca as a few members get so defensive.
Again I did not say everyone in Boca is like this but many are. I am not the only one who says this and like I said even movies,comic,tv shows make fun of people in Boca.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 AM

10,102 posts, read 12,154,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Swim I can answer for myself. In many of my posts I say how I can see for the right person such as a retired person Boca could be a nice place to live. They would be near others who are in similar situation and if a snow bird could escape the heat. I have family in Boca who are very happy but at the same time they are very materialistic.
Also like I have said before I have lived in wealthier cities then Boca and I did not seem the same shallow/snobby nature I see in Boca. I stated Jupiter as a good possibility for the OP because it does seem more down to earth yet good schools/upscale.
Sakirav I answered the question stated about a non materialistic place. It seems on these boards no negative can be said especially about Boca as a few members get so defensive.
Again I did not say everyone in Boca is like this but many are. I am not the only one who says this and like I said even movies,comic,tv shows make fun of people in Boca.
+1- I agree whole heartedly with DaniellaG. That being said, I lived there for 17 years, went to high school there (private, plenty of money/affluence at school...we had a local mobster's son driving a brand new Ferrari daily that cost more than my parents house!).

Seinfeld routinely bags on "Del Boca Vista," Sarah Silverman's dad Donald has a blog about Boca (yes he actually lives there, hates it and laughs at his neighbors), Soprano's even mentions "goin' down to Boca Raton" several times. Boca has become a punchline, NY south, etc. Even Mrs. Bernie Madoff has taken up permanent residence there!

Why all of this attraction to Boca in the media? Yeah must be the culture, the great schools and the non-materialistic folks that live there! It is what it is, embrace it don't deny it!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM

10,102 posts, read 12,154,382 times
Actually there is a solution for the OP......

There is one section of Boca Raton (actually not in city limits but address is BR) out at Powerline(Jog Rd) and Palmetto Park that is home to the city's Hasidic population. They walk to temple, are definitely not ostentatious and if you live there you will be in the majority. Any realtor can identify the actual community names if you are inclined to investigate further.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 AM

623 posts, read 1,103,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
+1- I agree whole heartedly with DaniellaG. That being said, I lived there for 17 years, went to high school there (private, plenty of money/affluence at school...we had a local mobster's son driving a brand new Ferrari daily that cost more than my parents house!).

Seinfeld routinely bags on "Del Boca Vista," Sarah Silverman's dad Donald has a blog about Boca (yes he actually lives there, hates it and laughs at his neighbors), Soprano's even mentions "goin' down to Boca Raton" several times. Boca has become a punchline, NY south, etc. Even Mrs. Bernie Madoff has taken up permanent residence there!

Why all of this attraction to Boca in the media? Yeah must be the culture, the great schools and the non-materialistic folks that live there! It is what it is, embrace it don't deny it!

And of course if Seinfeld says it.....................

Old 09-10-2011, 02:35 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
And of course if Seinfeld says it.....................
LOL I guess so....and to City we arent talking about private school..Obviously you were exposed to it sorry for you but all my son's friends go to Boca High and Spanish River they dont go to the Private Schools and they dont drive around in Lambo's although some wish they did including our son or a ferrari covertable but anwyway...and to argue with people is ridiculous his friends drive normal cars...I guess we are shallow, and materialistic cause we certainly like the finer things life always have and always had nice things doesnt mean that someone isn't "normal" We are very nice people and down to earth and dont care what u drive or where you live....One of my very good friends has lived in one of the richest areas in NY and she is looking in boca and cant believe how many nice people down to earth she has met...so it take for what its worth...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 09-10-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
I have nothing else to say regarding this post but Swim I feel your responses can be really condescending and rude. There is a way to say things to make a point or give your opinion and it can be down with class and respect.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 PM

314 posts, read 717,383 times
Move to West Boca!! It's like not even the Boca Raton that people talk about!!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,184,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Yes she does live in Boca and is very unhappy or let me rephrase she thinks the majority of Boca people are not nice, or stuck up because they live and drive what they do...I think she finds it difficult to believe people actually do like living here I know we do.....as well as our kids....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have nothing else to say regarding this post but Swim I feel your responses can be really condescending and rude. There is a way to say things to make a point or give your opinion and it can be down with class and respect.
You have a point. Sorry swimmom

Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 AM

143 posts, read 397,245 times
Every area has it's stereotypes. My husband thinks because I grew up in Jacksonville, that I lived on a farm....actually it was a country club. But his perception is that Jacksonville is all farms or trailer parks...Boca is what it is, we all have our own opinions and lifestyles, doesn't make anyone better than the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach