U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 AM

115 posts, read 185,335 times
Default Palm Beach Public School

We are considering moving to Palm Beach Island. Very dissapointed with Miami, low quality schools (even in the best areas), horrendous traffic, and usually hard to get to the beach. We've picked PB Island because the beach there is absolutely beautiful and we want to live within walking distance from it. We can afford to spend $4000 on rent, but that puts private school out of the question for now. We have kids, the oldest is in 1st grade. My questions is, how is Palm Beach Public school regarded? On Greatschools.org I see it has 46% free/reduced price lunches, which in my experience is never a good thing. However, the school is so beautiful, and the location unbeatable for our needs. I guess the wealthy Palm Beach dwellers send their kids to private school, so whose kids go there? We don't mind diversity, just wondering if it's some sort of "ghetto" school in a fancy neighborhood. Also, we'd like to live walking distance of the school too, so living on the other side of the intracoastal would be excluded.
We've looked everywhere up and down the S. FL coast. There seems to be nowhere else where you can walk to the beach and the public elementary school, in a nice safe neighborhood for the kids.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

100 posts, read 146,045 times
It all depends really. Some public schools are great in PBC, while others are awful.
I would do ur research on the individual school your child would be attending if u moved to that neighborhood. Find out what elementary school children attend if u live in that particular neighborhood, then research the actual school, because some schools are great, while others are no better than in Miami.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 AM

14,656 posts, read 15,709,138 times
Palm Beach Public school is a good school. The reduced/free statistics come from the number of students that attend that are migrants, etc., that live in areas technically zoned for the school.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,068 times
The elementary school you'd be zoned for is Palm Beach Public, which is a very nice school, zoning the Palm Beach Island exclusively. However, when looking at middle and high schools, your out of luck. You'd be zoned for Conniston Middle & Forest Hill High, which take students from the surrounding poor neighborhoods as well as Palm Beach. You could look into magnet programs, like Bak, Dreyfoos, Suncoast, etc., for middle and high schools if you don't like Conniston or Forest Hill.

Have you tried Jupiter? It is close to the beach, and the schools there are rated better. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 AM

There is nothing wrong with Conniston, unless being around students that are "poor" or "Hispanic" is a deal breaker. Conniston is an A rated school I believe.

At the high school level, Forest Hill High would not be my best choice, but then again, if you're children are very young, you have no idea what ANY area will be like (for better or worse), 13-14 years from now! Also, if your child is an gifted/AP/Honors at most schools, the composition of the rest of the student body will have little impact on the quality of education received.

Though Jupiter is a very nice area, people who move to Jupiter tend to not be the same type of personality that looks at homes in areas zoned for Palm Beach Public, and vice versa.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 PM

666 posts, read 857,410 times
I have an idea ! Live very well in West Palm for 3000.00 per month and spend the other thousand per month for private school.

Then you won't need to worry about all those poor people that get free lunch.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM

I thought about that, because I love the city place area, but am not sure three small kids in a condo is such a good idea. Also, three kids in private school will be at least $3000 a month.
I did find a nice area in east Boca, close to the beach, beautiful homes with pool, but again private school for elementary.

My observation was that there doesn't seem to be any areas in south fl where you can live walking distance to the beach and attend great public schools, also walking distance. As opposed to southern California, where such neighborhoods do exist.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
I thought about that, because I love the city place area, but am not sure three small kids in a condo is such a good idea.
There are great single family neighborhoods NEAR downtown West Palm Beach that you can consider as well. In your price range you can find homes for 2-3k easily, and be within 2 miles or less of the beach, and walking distance to the intracoastal. Not sure what kind of house one would get for only 4k/month on Palm Beach Island!

There are several threads on the better neighborhoods of West Palm Beach.... Flamingo Park, El Cid (probably best for you if you are thinking about moving to the Island), Southland Park, Prospect Park. If you move to the "South of Southern" neighborhood (east of Dixie), you will be zoned for South Olive Elementary, which is a very good A rated public school as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA
My observation was that there doesn't seem to be any areas in south fl where you can live walking distance to the beach and attend great public schools, also walking distance. As opposed to southern California, where such neighborhoods do exist.
There are a couple. You just have to have a good knowledge of the areas.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM

Well, on the island I would "sacrifice" and live in one of those condos/duplexes in small buildings (of course, it has to have central ac!)
I love the El CID neighborhood, east of Dixie Hwy, reminds me of Coral Gables, but on the intracoastal. Totally fits our lifestyle, as I always see people biking, walking, rollerblading along the water, and we could easily ride our bikes to the beach. I could probably give palm beach public element a try, and if it doesn't work break the bank and move to Palm Beach Day academy, or one of the catholic schools downtown WPB!

It may be the closest I can get to the beach, in a nice neighborhood.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackHomeMIA View Post
Well, on the island I would "sacrifice" and live in one of those condos/duplexes in small buildings (of course, it has to have central ac!)
I love the El CID neighborhood, east of Dixie Hwy, reminds me of Coral Gables, but on the intracoastal. Totally fits our lifestyle, as I always see people biking, walking, rollerblading along the water, and we could easily ride our bikes to the beach. I could probably give palm beach public element a try, and if it doesn't work break the bank and move to Palm Beach Day academy, or one of the catholic schools downtown WPB!

It may be the closest I can get to the beach, in a nice neighborhood.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

You know, I actually ran a quick search and found a couple of three bedroom options in "midtown palm beach" (which would get you walkable to PB Public, the beach and downtown palm beach) for under 4k.... so it IS doable....

Examples from the PB Post:

124 Australian Av, Palm Beach | Midtown Palm Beach single family homes | Florida Home from The Palm Beach Post

220 Australian, Palm Beach | Midtown Palm Beach single family homes | Florida Home from The Palm Beach Post

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach