U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM

67 posts, read 140,492 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously considering a relocation from rural Nevada (pretty, but boooor-ing) to Palm Beach County. I am recently divorced, and let's just say that the dating pool here is rather shallow....

Anyway, I'd like to live in a neighborhood that has arts, culture, restaurants and other stuff to do. In what neighborhoods in PBC might I feel most comfortable?

About me: I am 40-something, graduate-school educated, no kids, speak Spanish fluently, like museums and culture, love to listen to live music, and would love to live in a neighborhood where I could walk to everything. I am affluent, and would like to live in a safe neighborhood, but don't really care if the community is gated or not.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks so much!
--Pilar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:20 AM

17,298 posts, read 25,601,140 times
The neighborhoods outside or in downtown Delray Beach, or the neighborhoods in downtown West Palm Beach, or its historic neighborhoods.

Or you can just live "in town" on Palm Beach Island.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 AM

Default Thanks for reply

Tri, I heard that during the summer, Palm Beach island pretty much shuts down and dies. Is this true?

I will observe that when I was in Palm Beach at Daniel Bouloud in August, the place was dead on a Saturday night. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM

17,298 posts, read 25,601,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
Tri, I heard that during the summer, Palm Beach island pretty much shuts down and dies. Is this true?

I will observe that when I was in Palm Beach at Daniel Bouloud in August, the place was dead on a Saturday night. I don't know if this is normal or not.

The Island is very seasonal, yes. Some businesses do shut down for the summer, but the staples remain, such as the diners, cafes and restaurants, as well as Publix, of course. The year round population is something like 10k, with seasonal at 30k, so it is definitely a very large difference!

Luckily, West Palm is less seasonal.

If you find a condo in (midtown) Palm Beach or West Palm Beach, you would be within about a 2 mile circle of the best amenities of both towns.

Downtown Delray (and its intown neighborhoods) are also a good option, as the scale of the downtown is quite accessible.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 AM

25 posts, read 64,151 times
Go for Downtown Delray.What a great spot to be for a single person if you can afford it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Default What do you like to do in downtown Delray?

@Dave, what do you like to do in downtown Delray? Is this a relatively safe area to live? I'm not really worried about property crime, just the muggings/rapes/robberies. Heh.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM

122 posts, read 260,919 times
Quote:
@Dave, what do you like to do in downtown Delray? Is this a relatively safe area to live? I'm not really worried about property crime, just the muggings/rapes/robberies. Heh.
Delray is probably the most "bohemian" of the cities mentioned here. There is a good bit of night life and sometimes live music as well. The rest of the county is comparatively sleepy by your criteria. (Especially Boynton) If you are really set on Florida, perhaps Sarasota may be closer to your liking. The demographic is a bit older but it has a lot of the requirements you are looking for. I'll get poo-poohed for saying this but there isn't much of an arts or music scene in PBC. It's primarily relegated to a seasonal crowd and tends to be older fare. The Norton museum is quite nice though.

As to your other question, there is some crime but its generally confined to certain locales of Delray.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Delray crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmbdude View Post
Delray is probably the most "bohemian" of the cities mentioned here. There is a good bit of night life and sometimes live music as well. The rest of the county is comparatively sleepy by your criteria. (Especially Boynton) If you are really set on Florida, perhaps Sarasota may be closer to your liking. The demographic is a bit older but it has a lot of the requirements you are looking for. I'll get poo-poohed for saying this but there isn't much of an arts or music scene in PBC. It's primarily relegated to a seasonal crowd and tends to be older fare. The Norton museum is quite nice though.

As to your other question, there is some crime but its generally confined to certain locales of Delray.
@exmbdude, where are the "certain locales" so I can avoid them. I'm aware that the area west of Swinton is a primarily african-american neighborhood, but when I visited earlier this year, it didn't seem "bad", just a little shaggy.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 AM

18 posts, read 25,452 times
Quote:
@exmbdude, where are the "certain locales" so I can avoid them. I'm aware that the area west of Swinton is a primarily african-american neighborhood, but when I visited earlier this year, it didn't seem "bad", just a little shaggy.
Shaggy is a good description. I moved from Dallas, Texas to Florida a year ago. I spent my year in Miami and moving to Delray in under a week. I'm excited that my life will be closer to my vision of living in Florida.

The closer to the beach the better, and always. Inside US1/Federal Highway is always is safer and better.

Close to downtown is good in Delray, depending on your budget and closer the better. Anywhere in the arts district is good and much of it is walkable.

One thing to remember, always lock your doors, this is still south Florida and even if you live on Fisher Island, nobody can be trusted here.

Florida is odd in that one block can make all the difference in the world. One side of the street can be safe, the other side not so much. Delray is certainly better than Miami in this regard but this rule still applies.

If it were me, I would plan a trip here just to secure housing, then return back to Nevada and move. Shopping online is more difficult in Florida than any other place for the reasons I've outlined and if you move into an area that you find out you don't like, your first year here won't be as enjoyable as you hoped. That's what happened to me and I won't make that mistake again.

Pet's are a problem here and will limit your rental options considerably. I would make a point to visit the closest grocery store, drug store, shopping centers, gas stations near any house I was considering to determine who actually lives around me. Drive the neighborhood late at night that I was considering and see who is on the streets. The ghoulish come out at night in soflo and not just on Halloween.

Delray is nice, the last vestiges of hip-cool Florida Americana heading south. North of Delray you start to feel the Bubba factor, south of Delray starts to feel ever increasing like Little Havana until you get to Key Largo. Delray is the sweet spot I think and I have looked closely at all of them. I find Boca is more expensive than Delray and more snobbish. I say no to Boynton as well. Lantana, extra shaggy.

What you are looking for is probably here, but a greater amount of due diligence is required. Come to Delray, spend a week looking at everything available and as close to the beach/downtown as possible. Go home with a primary residence and a backup residence plan. Once you've been approved, only then pack up and move would be my recommendation.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Delray Beach

@Newish, thank you so much for that detailed info. A couple of questions:

Re Boynton Beach: Why is this not a desireable area? When I was in PBC in August, I looked at some townhomes in Renaissance Commons. The area seemed safe, if a bit commercial. Any thoughts on this area?

When I make the move, I'm likely going to rent temporary "executive housing" so I can really scope out the area and find just the right place. When you were looking, did you work with a realtor, or did you go it on your own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach