U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,798 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am trying to find some information on why so many children test gifted and whether or not I should have my own child tested. any help would be appreciated. Also, is there an age that I want my child to be at when I test if I do? Thanks Josie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:49 PM

232 posts, read 650,666 times
From what I have heard - it is somewhat of a sham (in some ways). You pay someone to test the child, pay is the optimal word, and the child is declared gifted. Essentially the field is littered with gifted children. The part that I do not understand, is if you do not have your child tested - would he/she lose out on opportunities in the school that other children have who were declared gifted?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 22,079 times
Default gifted testing

I know that there are names of psychologists going around who will say that every child is gifted, but I have also heard of some very reputable ones who do not do this and who work with you to find out the best for choice for your child given their scores. I posted on another link about a psychologist who is offering a discussion of gifted testing etc. I already tried to add the link and couldnt but look up Kindergarten Dilemma on facebook and you can go if you are interested. I and a bunch of friends are going because we heard this psychologist has ethics and helps you to make a good decision. I am sure tht most of the schools in Palm Beach are decent schools whether these chidren are gifted or not.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 12,357 times
Hi Jocelyn, I believe the age to have your kid tested is 5 for kindergarten entrance in palm beach although from what I heard, these scores are not really too accurate until the child is older. A friend of mine and a bunch of her friends actually went to a psychologist, I believe the same one that Melanie is refering to (Dr Heidi Cherwony) last year and she said that she was amazing and that not all of her friends kids tested gifted but this doctor helped them understand their child and also was like a mentor to help them decide where to send their children to school. She said that her kid and her nephew too did test gifted with this psychologist but the doctor told them not to focus on the IQ at this age but instead on the childs strengths and weaknesses and gave them a ton of recommendations to help them to be successful. I have a son in vpk now and I will most likely use this same psychologist. I did not realize that she was giving a seminar on this so thanks to Melanie, I will see if my husband can be home early enough for me to go. Maybe we can meet there

Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,589 times
Lightbulb Gifted Testing

My 1st grade child is doing well in school, and is ahead in every area- their reading level is towards the end of 2nd grade level. It is now February. I have NOT tested my child. I was told they qualify for enrichment based on diagnositics, however, due to the fact that so many children test into enrichment, there may not be a spot for my child. I didn't grow up in South Florida, I think this is backwards! I think you wait until a child is acheiving above their grade level before you consider "Gifted" testing. So many children are testing in Kindergarten, or prior to. That doesn't make sense to me! So, since my child whom just turned 7, who is also advanced- hasn't been tested, they may not be appropriately placed, Yet if I either wait out this delayed system (oh, the teacher explained most of the parents in the class have requested the school test their child and the system is backed up at least half a year), or just let it go. I'm NOT saying my child is gifted- they are advanced, and ahead a year in work level. Maybe my concern doesn't mean anything, but I just feel my child should be able to be placed in a class in which they diagnostically acheive!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 12,661 times
so can someone please give some ideas as to who are the reputable psychologists out there doing the testing, and who are the ones to avoid? I would like to have my child tested, but I dont have a clue as to who to use. I want to know who is good and who is not. I certainly wouldnt want someone to declare my child gifted if he's not. That's a sure fire way to ensure that he struggles in school. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 13,300 times
I used Dr. Cynthia Todd to test my three children ,she is very honest and straight forward
I lived in Wellington at the time and drove to Juno Beach for the testing .Its quite expensive roughly $500
per student but she was good with the kids and I think that helped them do their best

Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM

368 posts, read 794,194 times
I'm just curious about what parents tell their children BEFORE gifted testing. We don't want to say anything that will alarm or put unnecessary pressure on him (he has it this Friday) but we also want to be honest. Any recommendations?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 8,428 times
To Goldenah, I used Dr. Heidi Cherwony in Boca Raton. She was fabulous and gave us so much insight into our child. She was also very warm and stated that she does what is best for the child and will not give fake scores out.
Razz, Dr. Cherwony told me not to say much other than we are going to meet with a nice lady who will do some fun activities with you and that we want to see who will be the best teacher for you for kindergarten. My kid did not even blink so I think It was more pressure on us than on my kid. Good luck

Old 03-19-2016, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,510 times
I think kids who are truly tested gifted should consider The Greene School. They take the testing info and then form their own evaluation as well. Their standards are like those of the top schools in NY. Not one of those private schools who take anyone who can pay. Their website is www.thegreeneschool.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach