Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 PM

207 posts, read 1,034,168 times

Advertisements

+1 Jupiter for living, schools, beach. PBG for shopping. West Palm for "nightlife" (I guess) and CityPlace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
Palm beach gardens is great for families with young kids and professionals. I love it here- it's pretty quiet. It's close enough to West Palm so you can drive if you want to go to the city. It's not very walkable, though. If that's what you're looking for, then you may want to consider the communities (that were already mentioned) in WPB. Some of the communities out west are pretty family friendly, too, like Royal Palm Beach for example.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,189 times
You stated that you were thinking about moving in March, so this advice may be a bit too late, but I haven't heard too many people mention Flamingo Park / Grandview Heights. They're historic neighborhoods very near to downtown, very safe, an easy bike ride to the beach, near a nice large city park & dog park (Howard Park), and just across Okeechobee Blvd from the Kravis Center, the largest performing arts venue in West Palm Beach. Many of the neighbors are very friendly and easy to get to know. My wife and I have lived here since 2005, and we love it. If you're planning on having more children, you may want to look elsewhere, since the homes here are all historic and smaller than modern standards, but if you don't mind not living in a McMansion, I think you'll enjoy it.

The Flamingo Park / Grandview Heights neighborhoods are between Parker Ave on the west and the railroad tracks on the east and between the Palm Beach County Convention Center / Okeechobee Blvd on the north and Belvedere Rd on the south (a little neighborhood called Sunshine Park is also in the south-east portion of this area, but it's pretty much the same neighborhood).

Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 AM
AFD

41 posts, read 167,554 times
West Palm Beach-Live near Downtown..Even if I was offered 3000.00 a month to live in West Palm Beach outside downtown I would not. So to pay my own money....NOOO WAY..

I got here in oct 2011 worked in West Palm Beach Ockechobee Blvd and Military.. I worked at a very upscale place and I was warned about not turning down any of the side streets. Stay on the main roads...am an Aquarius or " A Curious". I ventured down a side street and wish I did not. Im not one for speeding on city streets but I must have did 50mph to get off that block and back onto Military....

Before Seattle I lived in Redondo Beach, CA and worked in Inglewood,CA which until West Palm Beach was the worst place I have ever seen....Uhhhhh

If you must live in WPB outside Downtown enroll the whole family in Martial arts training, apply for a Concealed carry permit, and if you have a nice car (a car you consider nice) or wear jewelry that is visible, get the glass bullet proofed and remember I see it all the time stupid people locking there car door when they feel threatened or see someone they do not like..remember locking your car door does not stop someone from kicking the window in!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD View Post
West Palm Beach-Live near Downtown..Even if I was offered 3000.00 a month to live in West Palm Beach outside downtown I would not. So to pay my own money....NOOO WAY..

I got here in oct 2011 worked in West Palm Beach Ockechobee Blvd and Military.. I worked at a very upscale place and I was warned about not turning down any of the side streets. Stay on the main roads...am an Aquarius or " A Curious". I ventured down a side street and wish I did not. Im not one for speeding on city streets but I must have did 50mph to get off that block and back onto Military....

Before Seattle I lived in Redondo Beach, CA and worked in Inglewood,CA which until West Palm Beach was the worst place I have ever seen....Uhhhhh

If you must live in WPB outside Downtown enroll the whole family in Martial arts training, apply for a Concealed carry permit, and if you have a nice car (a car you consider nice) or wear jewelry that is visible, get the glass bullet proofed and remember I see it all the time stupid people locking there car door when they feel threatened or see someone they do not like..remember locking your car door does not stop someone from kicking the window in!

You realize that area you are describing is probably not West Palm Beach. Sounds like you're describing the "West Gate" area... or the "no go" areas just north of the airport that are like the lands that everyone has forgotten. And I would agree -- probably not somewhere anyone on this board will want to live. I wonder though how much experience with the city you actually do have. Next time you're in town, take Okeechobee Blvd EAST, all the way into downtown, and then turn South onto Olive Avenue, and take a nice drive down south until you hit downtown Lake Worth. THAT'S how normal middle class people in West Palm Beach live. Not the warzone in "West Gate"!!!

I guess what I'm saying is please be a little more careful in your hyperbole, so you don't conflate that crap part of the unincorporated county with the actual city of West Palm Beach (which has its bad area NORTH of downtown, EAST of 95... not out by Military Trial).

I see you're looking for info on Delray. Be aware that PER CAPITA, Delray has a higher crime rate than West Palm Beach.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:26 AM

22 posts, read 72,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You realize that area you are describing is probably not West Palm Beach. Sounds like you're describing the "West Gate" area... or the "no go" areas just north of the airport that are like the lands that everyone has forgotten. And I would agree -- probably not somewhere anyone on this board will want to live. I wonder though how much experience with the city you actually do have. Next time you're in town, take Okeechobee Blvd EAST, all the way into downtown, and then turn South onto Olive Avenue, and take a nice drive down south until you hit downtown Lake Worth. THAT'S how normal middle class people in West Palm Beach live. Not the warzone in "West Gate"!!!

I guess what I'm saying is please be a little more careful in your hyperbole, so you don't conflate that crap part of the unincorporated county with the actual city of West Palm Beach (which has its bad area NORTH of downtown, EAST of 95... not out by Military Trial).

I see you're looking for info on Delray. Be aware that PER CAPITA, Delray has a higher crime rate than West Palm Beach.

Thanks to both of you above for this info. It all helps.

We have postponed our move to later this year, but will keep checking the boards.

Happy belated St. Patty's everyone!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
AFD

41 posts, read 167,554 times
WPB I wrote live near downtown.. I worked right on Military Trail just south of Ockechobee at an upscale Car Dealer...the back streets around that place is horrible.That is WEST PALM BEACH.. Downtown WPB i have been and go regularly.
I actually would take the long way home back to Delray Beach going Driving east on Ockechobee to Dixie then south all the way To Atlantic in Delray.
Being new to the area and a natural explorer I know WPB well and no offense intended but short of DOWNTOWN WEST PALM BEACH. I would not live in WPB...

I started looking for a house right here on City Data and settled on Downtown Delray Beach almost immediately. All the board members were acurate in telling me to look East of Swinton Ave..

Most of East Delray Beach I would not live in and I'm fully trained in Martial arts, my wife has a Concealed carry permit and is also fully trained martial arts instructor.

I have no desire to use either except to stay in shape or fight with my wife and I mean that literally. One of these days I will sucessfully beat her up, no pun intended (I just cant yet, not for lack of trying).

The Address where I worked was in the 1600 block of N.Military Trail West Palm Beach......This is West Palm Beach unless I an mistaken..Just a couple blocks south of Ockechobee..... I will take the High crime of Atlantic/Swinton anyday over this part of West Palm Beach and I think most people if they drive down the back streets in that HOOD would agree....

Back to the original poster.....Downtown West Palm Beach is perfect for what you are after...I would look think long and hard about other areas of West Palm Beach..

I was taken off guard my this area because all the high end car dealers are in this area. Ferrari, Bentley, Mercedes, BMW, Maserati, Lamborghini...does not mean a thing stay on the main streets...

Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD View Post
WPB I wrote live near downtown.. I worked right on Military Trail just south of Ockechobee at an upscale Car Dealer...the back streets around that place is horrible.That is WEST PALM BEACH.. Downtown WPB i have been and go regularly.
Okeechobee at Military, SOUTH of Okeechobee is NOT West Palm Beach. It is unincorporated Palm Beach County!

It may HAVE a "West Palm Beach" address because it is the closest city to the area (the way unincorporated western Boynton Beach gets a "Boynton Beach" address for mailing purposes, but that doesn't make it West Palm Beach!

With a couple of exception, the only areas West of 95 that are ACTUALLY West Palm Beach are the Villages area, and the "Western" gated communities -- Ibis, Riverwalk, etc... all pretty much NORTH of Okeechobee Blvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD
I actually would take the long way home back to Delray Beach going Driving east on Ockechobee to Dixie then south all the way To Atlantic in Delray.
Being new to the area and a natural explorer I know WPB well and no offense intended but short of DOWNTOWN WEST PALM BEACH. I would not live in WPB...
So not wanting to argue or anything, but while you were on Dixie, did you actually go into any neighborhoods?

Look, I respect your opinion, but your recommendation to "stay downtown" is fine for people not looking for a single family neighborhood. South of downtown is, IMO, the best place to live in the city. This includes all of the historic neighborhoods, as well as the "Southend" neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD
The Address where I worked was in the 1600 block of N.Military Trail West Palm Beach......This is West Palm Beach unless I an mistaken..Just a couple blocks south of Ockechobee..... I will take the High crime of Atlantic/Swinton anyday over this part of West Palm Beach and I think most people if they drive down the back streets in that HOOD would agree....

I would take Delray over that mess over at the 1600 Block of Military Trail as well. But again, that isn't West Palm Beach. That's the Westgate neighborhood. Unincorporated, and gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD
Back to the original poster.....Downtown West Palm Beach is perfect for what you are after...I would look think long and hard about other areas of West Palm Beach..
Downtown WPB is great, for certain people. But if you're trying to tell someone that they should avoid THIS neighborhood:

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

... where homes range from the 100s to millions... (and which, by the way, is not the neighborhood I live in).... then people may miss out on some really great neighborhoods of ACTUAL WEST PALM BEACH that are just as great - if not more - than eastern Delray Beach!

That street, for example, also leads to S. Olive Elementary, a well regarded, A rated public elementary school.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Okeechobee at Military, SOUTH of Okeechobee is NOT West Palm Beach. It is unincorporated Palm Beach County!

It may HAVE a "West Palm Beach" address because it is the closest city to the area (the way unincorporated western Boynton Beach gets a "Boynton Beach" address for mailing purposes, but that doesn't make it West Palm Beach!

With a couple of exception, the only areas West of 95 that are ACTUALLY West Palm Beach are the Villages area, and the "Western" gated communities -- Ibis, Riverwalk, etc... all pretty much NORTH of Okeechobee Blvd.
On paper or a map that is true, but everyone in that part of town calls it "West Palm Beach" and even as far west as Wellington can use "West Palm Beach" for their city name. I know I can but I don't.

I think the mass population doesn't know the difference and having seen City of WPB Police Cruisers in the West Gate Area I can see why even though it's PBSO's jurisdiction.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
On paper or a map that is true, but everyone in that part of town calls it "West Palm Beach" and even as far west as Wellington can use "West Palm Beach" for their city name. I know I can but I don't.

I think the mass population doesn't know the difference and having seen City of WPB Police Cruisers in the West Gate Area I can see why even though it's PBSO's jurisdiction.

Oh definitely, the confusion is understandable.

Unfortunate, but I mean, I pay extra taxes to have things like paved roads (where Westgate has parts that aren't even paved!) and code enforcement by the City of West Palm Beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach