U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 16,575 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to Florida with our 4 small kids. We're still in the very early stages, job hunting etc. He spoke with someone today about a job in Riviera Beach that he is considering. I'm only familiar with the SW coast, so I'd like to know as much as you can tell me about the area surrounding Riviera Beach.

The position he was offered starts at around 50K - is that enough for a family of 6 to live on in this area? Obviously, we want a safe area. We'd be renting a house the first year or two. We homeschool, but may not always, so schools are a factor. We don't care much about nightlife, but fun family places are great. We're living in a town now where everything closes by 8pm, and pretty much everything but the grocery store is 35-90 minutes away, which we hate. Also, we are a multiracial family, so we want somewhere that won't be an issue (like it is where we live now). Can you tell I can't wait to get out of here? lol

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated, thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,160,934 times
I don't care much for Riviera Beach. I worked at a hospital in the area and, to be honest, it seemed very high crime/low income. You may want to try other areas in West Palm Beach if you're looking for something close (but safe). Palm Beach Gardens is nice. Excellent location for families, but somewhat pricey if you're on a 50k/yr salary. What's your budget- if you don't mind me asking?

Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I don't care much for Riviera Beach. I worked at a hospital in the area and, to be honest, it seemed very high crime/low income. You may want to try other areas in West Palm Beach if you're looking for something close (but safe). Palm Beach Gardens is nice. Excellent location for families, but somewhat pricey if you're on a 50k/yr salary. What's your budget- if you don't mind me asking?
Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have clarified that we are definitely open to other towns nearby. All we have to go on for now is internet, so anything anyone can tell us about the surrounding area (within an hour or so is fine) would be much appreciated!

I don't mind sharing a budget at all, except that I'm really not sure how to answer that, lol. We're currently living in MA, making about 35K/year, and paying just over $800 for our mortgage, and we're just making it. DH is graduating in a month with an engineering degree, so we'll be in a totally different situation. I'd say, if he's making 50K, we could maybe pay 1000-1200 for rent? Just a ballpark.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,160,934 times
If you're looking to rent- that price is doable for a home. I'm still (fairly) new to palm beach county. Here's a link to a site that can give you a good overview in neighborhood demographics, house values, schools, etc. I'm sure someone will come along with specific neighborhoods that you may want to rent in.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 PM

800 posts, read 984,939 times
I wouldn't recommend Riviera Beach either, and there's several parts of WPB which "have gone to the dogs" compared to when I moved there in 1997. I got out of there 20 mo. ago but my (adult) children still live there, however, my son's planning to move to Broward Co. in the near future because aside for not liking WPB much anymore he's been working there for a good while.

[color=Navy]Palm Beach Gardens which is north of WPB is better but probably a little pricier to live there. Lake Park is like a continuation of it to the east before getting to R.B.

The cost of living in Boynton Beach used to better than WPB and for a while I'd thought of moving there, don't know what it's like now but you can go here and look at how it compares to other cities: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

HTH!

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM

4,084 posts, read 3,571,640 times
Riviera Beach is a ghetto with the sole exception of the part that is on Singer Island (east of te intracostal waterway). Suncoast is the award winning high school, ranked nationally but that ranking is due to its magnet program certainly not the common student body.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 14 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,593 posts, read 6,473,759 times
I won't even drive near Riviera Beach, in fear that I may get a flat tire or break down there.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 AM

So...are there any towns near Riviera Beach that are good to live in?!?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 14 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,593 posts, read 6,473,759 times
Juno Beach, some parts of West Palm Beach (others here know much more about West Palm Beach than I do), Lake Worth near the Intracoastal Waterway....Lake Park.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 AM

563 posts, read 556,633 times
Riviera Beach (except Singer Island) is a high crime area.

I talked to one librarian in Palm Beach county and she told me she wouldn't even drive by Riviera Beach during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach