Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 PM

97 posts, read 226,185 times

Advertisements

I have read many threads about how ghetto & unsafe Riviera Beach is. Even though it is Singer Island...it has a Riviera Beach address.

My question is...we are staying at a fairly new Marriott Condo Tower called Marriotts Oceana Palms (3200 N Ocean Dr)...should we be concerned? Some people say when you cross the Intracoastal...it is a different world.

Would you stay there? Pics of the resort look beautiful.

Thanks,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,293,079 times
It's safe on the island.

You've probably already read this but ... you could consider coming and going via 1A north and PGA Blvd. That way you don't have to drive through the ghetto and worry about your car breaking down in the wrong area.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,199,984 times
My wife and I just got back from a vacation on Singer island...we stayed at the Marriott (3800 N Ocean) and no problems...we walked every day in the morning...and drove around at night...you definately need a car unless you want to eat every meal in the hotel...if you landing late in the day I would definately recommend traveling a little further north on 95 and take PGA Blvd accross...or some recommend Blue Heron...a longer trip but worth it...

My wife and I drove through Rivera Beach from top to bottom to meet her parents for dinner around 5PM...I would not recommend the trip after dark...and on the way back we drove the extra 10+ miles and took PGA Blvd back...

Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 AM

35 posts, read 122,665 times
I have used ATMs at night on Broadway....taken the kids for ice cream on Broadway (early evening)...go to a diner a mile+ north of Blue Heron...and NEVER a problem. Is it scenic?...no. Would i recommend a late night stroll?...of course not. However, those who drive an extra number of miles to avoid driving though Riviera...IMHO...won't admit it...but do so because it "isn't yuppie pretty". end of story.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Yes skanman7....you are right...99.99999% of the time absolutely nothing is going to happen to you...as was the case with my father who used to drive to his veterans hall in an area similar to Rivera Beach....all hours of the day and night...until one evening in the cover of darkness...one of the local residents decided my 60+ year old father was their prey for the evening...luckily he was smart enough to hit the gas and speed off through the red light he had stopped at...

As far as "yuppie pretty"....it is all of the yuppies that move into areas like Rivera Beach in their attempt to find cheap housing...if you ever make it up to NY just ride through Harlem...and you will see "YUPPIES" all over...

IMHO I will always drive a few miles out of my way rather than take a chance of putting my family into danger...but then again just my opinion...by the way...I wouldn't put my hand in a rattle snake den to see if there are any rattler's in there...but then again only my opinion....

Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM

97 posts, read 226,185 times
Thanks to all for responding. I am not to concerned about Blue Herron. I am more concerned about the crime and people with the wrong motives crossing over to Singer Island.

Who wants to go on vacation for a week oceanfront and have to look over your shoulder the whole time.

Jeff

Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM

485 posts, read 683,556 times
The main area to walk to where the Ocean Mall is they have cleaned up a great deal from what it was about 10 years ago. We love the new 2 Drunken Goats Mexican restaurant and the rebuilt Johnny Longboats. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there for the week!!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:11 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,293,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanman7 View Post
those who drive an extra number of miles to avoid driving though Riviera...IMHO...won't admit it...but do so because it "isn't yuppie pretty". end of story.
No, it's because of crime.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 PM

155 posts, read 504,341 times
I am LOL about going all the way to PGA to get to singer Island. That's a bit extreme. I've traveled that stretch of US 1 at all hours of the night and morning (solo female) while driving to and from Jupiter to Good Sam for work. I also lived up the street from Blue Heron in Lake Park and never had an issue. Do you need to keep your door locked? Yes. Do you need to drive WAAAYYY out of the way to avoid it? No.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:48 AM

We all have opinions about what is safe...but I just flew 1000+ miles to go on vacation and have a good time...so driving another 5 to 10 miles out of my way to be safe is just a drop in the bucket...but what the hell...you live there and feel safe...so go for it...but I'll keep my wife and kids a little safer and drive the extra miles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach