Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,269 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I am relocating to WPB due a new job. Have read many things about the crime rate,etc. So I have decided to ask all of you familiar with the area and see what you recommend. I am a single female in my 30's, good income so I can afford something nice, would like to live by the ocean and close to nightlife. Safety is a priority and good professional neighbors would be very nice. If possible commuting drive time no longer than 30 minutes, heard traffic can get really bad in south florida... is it true?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 24,413 times
I recommend you rethink your relocation plan immediately. Only one freeway, I95 runs north/south and it's torn up all around WPB (roughly a 20 mile stretch), won't be finished until at least 2009. The cost of rentals is escalating due to the real estate mess. Crime is up in the county, per FBI stats, 28+% over last year. Place is full of illegals - do you know spanish? Nightlife? LOL! What nightlife? They roll up the sidewalks at night in WPB. Go farther south say to Ft. Lauderdale for that or even Miami, not that it's all that safe. I've lived in PB county since '93 and now spend most of my free time planning my escape from this sorry state. Read the local papers to get some idea of what's going on around here, try the Sun-Sentinel, Palm Beach Post, Boca Raton News, Miami Herald. There's really nothing to do in south FL but shop. The beach is gritty (crushed coral) and oft times in WPB area raw sewage is dumped straight into the ocean. Oh yeah, recently, the residents of WPB had to endure a boil water order for over 9 days due to fecal contamination of the city's drinking water. It is NOT paradise anymore

Old 10-14-2007, 07:17 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,581,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta07 View Post
Hi everybody, I am relocating to WPB due a new job. Have read many things about the crime rate,etc. So I have decided to ask all of you familiar with the area and see what you recommend. I am a single female in my 30's, good income so I can afford something nice, would like to live by the ocean and close to nightlife. Safety is a priority and good professional neighbors would be very nice. If possible commuting drive time no longer than 30 minutes, heard traffic can get really bad in south florida... is it true?

Thanks.
Ignore the negative posters, obviously they don't have a total clue on the area and focus on some issues you can't avoid unless you live in cave.

Traffic is not as bad as Atlanta not even close, I assume by your name that's where you are currently?

Are you working in Downtown WPB or the greater WPB area which encompasses a much larger area?

Are you looking to rent or buy, I would suggest renting, the home prices are dropping and are still overpriced plus it's good to see if you like the area you move to before purchasing.

Close by the ocean can be expensive to rent and very very expensive to buy.

Nightlife, there are a few clubs and places to hang out here if that's your thing, depends what you define as Night Life? Ft. Lauderdale and Miami Beach have plenty more too, not exactly easy to get in some places on Miami Beach though and be prepared to spend major cash, they are not cheap.

Location all depends on how far you want to drive and how much $ you have to spend. You can easily be 30 mins from the beach here and be in a safe area.

Along with I-95 there is The Florida Turnpike both run north to south as well all the other roads that are grid structure throughout PBC.

There is traffic issues on I-95, just log on to this site around 7 to 8AM and 4-6PM weekdays and you will see how bad it really is. Unless your going north or south you rarely need to use I-95 anyways.

Palm Beach County - Interim Traffic Management System

I would do a cost of living analysis, everything cost more here. Albeit no 6% Personal Income Tax like GA but higher fuel costs, auto insurance rates, rental rates, home prices, food costs, home owners insurance and utility rates.

No this area isn't perfect, but just make sure you can afford and are willing to make sacrifices to live here.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 PM

86 posts, read 416,494 times
WPB is a nice alternative to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. It is a relatively safe city- just avoid near-by Riviera Beach like the plague.

For 30-something singles: CityPlace is a nice plaza, but expensive. Clematis St is where all the hot clubs are, but it draws a younger crowd and is heavily policed lately due to brawls. Also, I don't know whether this applies or not, but be warned the area from WPB down to Miami has a higher than average HIV/AIDS rate.

Traffic: I-95 and Australian Blvd (major thoroughway) can be a nightmare sometimes, but I bet Atlanta was worse.

You may also want to consider Palm Beach Gardens to the north, although your commute will be increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach