U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM

65 posts, read 61,162 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Palm Beach county and hated it! Ironically, guess where I am being transferred!?!? Palm Beach county! Perhaps I have some lessons to learn?

I am going to attempt to make the most out of it. I know there are definitely a lot of positives of living there which I need to focus on. One of the biggest things I hated about Palm Beach county were the people. I just couldn't stand some of the New York transplants who were always caught in the rat race. The me first, who has what mentality seems to be the thing down there, but I know there are good people too.

I'm really trying to find an intelligent, hip, edgy, down to earth community filled with young professionals aged 25 - 35. Is there such a thing in Palm Beach county? I would like to be able to walk or cycle to grocery stores and bars instead of having to drive half the county in order to do so. Community farmers market would be pretty sweet as well.

For example, the SOHO Tampa area.

Max rent $1250 month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,843,867 times
When was the last time you were here? The "New York Mentality" is ten fold what it was 15 years ago for example, sure you want to move back?

The only place that even sounds close to what you want would be downtown WPB, maybe Delray Beach in some aspects...

"Down to earth"...does not exist here, sorry.....most people are fake, pretentious and very self absorbed...there is a few good ones but they are a rare breed..

1 bedroom should be doable for that rate...

Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 PM

10,090 posts, read 12,151,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
When was the last time you were here? The "New York Mentality" is ten fold what it was 15 years ago for example, sure you want to move back?

The only place that even sounds close to what you want would be downtown WPB, maybe Delray Beach in some aspects...

"Down to earth"...does not exist here, sorry.....most people are fake, pretentious and very self absorbed...there is a few good ones but they are a rare breed..

1 bedroom should be doable for that rate...

+1..........There is also that artsy part of Lake Worth, some of which could be called "edgy"

Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I was fearing that there wouldn't be much. I am considering finding a new job with a more desirable location.

It has been 9, almost 10 years since I left. Rarely do I visit. I went to Wellington High School, loved it so much that I got my G.E.D, finished my A.A and got the hell out of there to further my education.

however, I will check out downtown WPB , Delray, and Lake Worth.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:51 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,640,251 times
You may recall how large Palm Beach County is. There is really no "typical" Palm Beach County lifestyle. To find what you're looking for you will have to focus on areas where people DELIBERATELY do not buy the McMansion-and-gated-community bland suburban lifestyle.

That means staying east of I-95, essentially.

To that end, you can live in West Palm Beach - either downtown in a high rise or cityplace (if you want a semblance of a walkable lifestyle). There's lots of development right now. Farmer's market except in the summer on Saturdays... and they're building something market-ish on Fern next to where the new train station will be.

Or, you can live in one of the historic neighborhoods just south of downtown. (Which would be like South Tampa). You could still walk/bike to stuff (and the beach), but the grocery store might be a stretch (I have to either go to Cityplace Publix or Southern Blvd. Publix to shop... about 1 mile equidistant in either direction).

Lake Worth is probably where you'll find a good mix of hippie/liberal/crunchy granola types.... specifically the NE part of town. Lake Worth is transitional in many ways, but it's affordable, has a neat little downtown, and the most "alternative" vibe around. It has a number of historic neighborhoods... pretty much the antithesis of Wellington, due west.

Downtown Delray is now the "hippest" place in Palm Beach County. The majority of downtown Delray has passed over the gentrification hump, but still best to stay towards the east as it's sketchy towards I-95 still.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM

Thank you TriMT7 for the good info. I got a kick out of the McMansion comment. That is exactly what they are. Not long before I left Wellington they had started to build a housing community called Olympia. It was so sad to see them destroy the natural beauty and then put up such artificial fake garbage. The homes were exactly as you described, McMansions. They were selling for three times the cost of what they were worth too!

I will definitely check these areas out!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:43 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,843,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4fun View Post
Not long before I left Wellington they had started to build a housing community called Olympia. It was so sad to see them destroy the natural beauty and then put up such artificial fake garbage. The homes were exactly as you described, McMansions. They were selling for three times the cost of what they were worth too!
Look at Wellington Via Google Maps, you will be in for a surprise....Olympia is not even built out yet, they stopped after the bubble popped and recently started building it out. I can't stand Olympia but some people think it's great, I been in there a few times and a lot of New Yorker's reside within the gates....

After 2000, Welly World changed forever....

Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 12,151,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Look at Wellington Via Google Maps, you will be in for a surprise....Olympia is not even built out yet, they stopped after the bubble popped and recently started building it out. I can't stand Olympia but some people think it's great, I been in there a few times and a lot of New Yorker's reside within the gates....

After 2000, Welly World changed forever....

Plenty of thugs in Olympia as well......something the realtors forget to tell you!

What kills me with Olympia is the fake bridge arches on the entrances, under the bridge they painted a series of arches to make it look like some type of old world design. If that is the "curb appeal" then it makes me think the whole place is going to be McMansions loaded with foam columns and foam bands around the windows/doors (all fake cast stone)!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM

130 posts, read 200,478 times
L-Dub

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM

17 posts, read 23,521 times
It's so interesting how one's perspective shapes things, I recently moved to Lake Worth from Los Angeles and I find people here and in WPB generally nice, cool, and down to earth. That said LA is the kingdom of self absorbed narcissism, so I'm used to the worst of that. I live just S of downtown near the intracoastal and I really like it, it's a walkable, bikeable old city with people more creative and openminded that what my experience with most of the rest of Florida is. Also really like the historic areas of West Palm, discovered the Art District in Boynton, there is tons of cool creative stuff around in PBC but like anywhere you have to find where it is. It's a cuture shock a bit from LA, but I expected that and roll with it. As for anyplace west of 95, I have no idea or interest really, to me that's just a suburban hell (like any city has) that I have zero interest in beyond running out to Target when need be. I agree with the above notion that you can't just lump a county of this size and variation into one. My one negative are the drivers, I never thought I'd see driving worse than SoCal but this is it, I swear to god half the people have no idea how to operate a car, in LA they'd total their cars within a week if they drove this badly...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach