Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 21,680 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my husband got a job as a Professor at FAU and we're moving from a small town in Texas to Boca Raton in the summer. I've heard it's a very commercial city, very different from Texas. I would like to know the best areas to live and the most recommended school. My daughter and son are both in high school and my youngest daughter is in middle school. Any recommendations??
We would like a house thats no more than 500k but has at least five rooms i dont know if that's possible b/c we've searched for homes and they all looked pretty expensive. Anyways, i appreciate any help b/c I dont know how it is down there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 05:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,508 times
Boca is a very nice city and really doesn't have any bad areas! So I don't think you need to worry! Obviously the most expensive houses are near the water! My mom lives up there (13+ years) & I lived there for a year a while back. It definately has a "city" feel - a LOT of NYers (us included! ) so hopefully that's cool with you! I would suggest you look into West Boca (west of the turnpike) because the houses are cheaper but still nice, and I believe that area is more "down to earth". I know there are also alot of mobiles in that areas (nice ones!) and not trying to stereotype, but being from TX, I would think that might feel more like home! I'm just trying to be helpful - I've never actually been to that area, but my mom described it as "redneck" (not in a negative way!) so I would think the nicer more expensive houses/areas there would be, like I said, more down to earth folk as opposed to the "snobby" NY types that are more east.
My mom lives in the middle in a condo. More older people. But also nice! And not as crazy high priced! Definately not small town though - HUGE 6 lane streets! But you'll get used to it! I'm sure you've driven the cities in TX. Also, that's just the main streets. The residential streets are very nice. There are walking paths & lots of trees and it's very safe! (I mean everything is relative - NOTHING is 100% safe! But it is safe!) Check out zips 33433 & 33428
Um, did you mean 5 BEDROOMS? Cause you will DEFINATELY not find a 5bedroom house for under 500k!!!
Good luck! Let us know...
And welcome to SOFL!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,111 times
Have you considered Boca Woods Country Club?

It is just south of Glades Road off State Road 441 (West Boca). I have friends who’ve lived there for about 15 years and they love it. Boca Woods is an established community so it has mature landscaping on larger lots and is convenient to schools, hospital and shopping. It has a nice country club and two golf courses, tennis, sidewalks, lots of ponds. It is walled and has a 24-hour guarded gate. Every house has a golf course or lake view and I believe they all had screened lanai and swimming pools as well.

You should easily be able to find something there within your price range, too.

www.bocawoodscc.com

Old 02-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Five bedrooms under $500,000 in Boca?

Here are a few you might want to see: http://tinyurl.com/27ky9y

Old 02-19-2007, 03:56 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,508 times
Hmmm...Those are pretty nice! But they're probably gated communities/HOA type deals, no?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM

On 4th Street and 4th Avenue? Not likely. I don't know about the others, Elfyum. You may be right.

Ariari327, have you found something suitable? Would the existance of a gate and/or HOA be a deal-breaker?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 21,680 times
thanks for your advice!
my husband and I have decided to rent at first and then within the year buy a house. Someone tell me if this is a smart choice? Answering Figment 07's question, the existence of a gate/ and or a HOA would be fine for when we buy our house. Also, anyone know if the public high schools are good down there? I've been hearing public schols in florida arent ideal so i dont know what to do????

thanks for everything!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariari327 View Post
my husband and I have decided to rent at first and then within the year buy a house. Someone tell me if this is a smart choice?
Brilliant! Some have the opinion that renting is wasteful. Not necessarily! Especially when moving to a new state, I would consider a brief rental period as "insurance" against costly mistakes. I think it's the best possible way to insure your future comfort and happiness in Florida.

Good luck, Ariari! Keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:15 AM

58 posts, read 77,615 times
Renting is never a bad decision when you're moving to a new area and don't have a lot of time to explore before you move. However, I would recommend doing it for 6 months if you can, because there is A LOT on the market in Boca, and that has brought down the prices somewhat, so you definitely have lots of choices.

While prices are still pretty high, they aren't quite as high as they could be. I would imagine that may change in the next year. Right now the main things hurting the housing market are high property taxes and homeowner insurance - especially on the higher-end homes as you get into the $500k+ range.

There are 4 high schools in Boca: Spanish River HS, Olympic Heights HS, West Boca Raton HS, and Boca Raton HS. The schools in Boca some of the best in the state, but I'm not sure how they stack up against the rest of the country. You're right, schools in South Florida are generally not good, but in Boca they are OK. My brother-in-law is a junior at Olympic Heights and he isn't having any problems, but we don't feel he is being challenged enough - the work load certainly seems very low from what I remember about being in HS 15 years ago in NY and VA.

I would say Spanish River is the best, but it will be more challenging to buy at $500k in that zone. West Boca Raton is only a few years old and another one that's supposed to be very good and serves a pretty affluent area. Plus there are some beautiful communities in West Boca where it will be much easier to get something in the $500k range.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 18,175 times
Default Cant cut it

Coming from texas you wont be on the level. Best thing for you is to move to pompano or hillsboro beach the peolpe or nicer, to much politics in boca you wont blend in being from a cow pasture state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach