Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGonzalez View Post
Thanks for the info!!! honestly thats what im struggling on, for each city i find that may have potential, I see a flood of negative comments. I absolutely love Florida, I was born and raised in Southern California and my job is nationwide so work isn't an issue. But as good as Jacksonville has been to me, its a little TOO country for me, and a little TOO segregated. I wasn't raised like that, and really dont want to raise my child in a place like that "/ so that's why I want to move further South.
Country, OK that's your opinion. But for diversity? You think what you think, depending on where you lived. Where I lived and worked there was no "segregation". Of course some AA people are going to cluster in neighborhoods they grew up in. It's the same in my home town Philly, a minority majority city. But that doesn't mean they ALL do. Jax is minority majority, too with only 55% White Alone. The supervising Concierge at The Peninsula is from Brooklyn in Jax. She can afford to live ANYWHERE she wants. NO, she stays in Brooklyn. When I lived there BABIES got shot in her neighborhood. http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/s...storyid=216604

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12/1235000.html

It's the same in WPB. They proposed to "renovate" Dunbar Village public housing after this 2007 incident and the people were all "HOW DARE YOU, we LOVE it here, it's historic, it's our family home" etc etc. I didn't keep track of the outcome but I was eyerolling big time. It's NOT exactly like you can't move a couple BLOCKS down Tamarind to get OUT if you wanted to. But the rent is not $150.00 anywhere else either.

Dunbar Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess you'd call THAT segregation. Your California mind set is showing LOL. And if you want YOUR 6 year old to attend school with public housing kids like at Dunbar, more power to you. Go ahead. But MY suggestion would be Vero Beach where our public housing is NICE. And the residents pretty laid back. You might even say "country". Wherein the shootings are few and far between and specific.

But don't worry. The courts keep reducing the crimimals' sentence and now trying to say it's so mean to lock them up for a long time for their crimes because they were teenagers. Very California!
Florida Supreme Court: Juvenile sentences for serious crimes under review - Sun Sentinel

The census disputes your feelings on % of the demographics with Jax having a better diversity on paper than the state of FL. Yes WPB feels more diverse because it started out as a town for employees of the Palm Beach residents. Maids, etc. JAX was annexed into the suburbs. So it's HUGE now. BUT WPB is 41.6% White Alone. So it has a slight edge on Jax. Of course COUNT the units in public housing and pro rate them Jax vs WPB if you're into numbers. Then there's Rivera Beach closeby, a whole nother story.

WPB:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12/1276600.html

FL state:

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I lived and worked in The Strand, Peninsula, Carling, 11E, Metro Lofts, Riverside, Avondale, San Marco and Southpoint and it is diverse. More than 20% AA"? Probably not. But with lots more people from Israel, Middle East, Russia, and Latinos etc. Diversity is not the strict purview of AA people.

And the MATH is simple. FL has an AA population of 13% and Jax 16%. If you want a 50-50 type of thing you're going to have to look long and hard.

Or maybe you just mean LIBERAL environment but using the word "segregated" incorrectly. I don't understand how you're looking for So Fl places without going there. It's not far. Drive DOWN and see for yourself.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-12-2013 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach