U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 PM
 
12,587 posts, read 14,717,519 times
Reputation: 18770

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
You are wrong. For starters, some of the areas you mentioned are not even part of Palm Beach Gardens. Much of the area east of Military between Northlake and PGA is North Palm Beach. The nicer areas of Palm Beach Gardens are from PGA north, which is at least half of the city area. The further south you go the worse it gets, and there are certainly some sketchy parts to the south. But they are mostly black areas.

When you say "white trash", I wonder what your definition of that is. I usually take it to mean trailer parks or low income predominantly white communities with low education and high crime. I just have never seen these types of places in PBG. Maybe there are some small pockets, but I just don't see it. I see many more of the Mercedes and BMW driving types of whites in Palm Beach Gardens.

Palm Beach Gardens is ranked the #45th highest per capita income in Florida. Its not because they have a few mansions and a bunch of ghettos. It is very balanced. To top that off, they have tons of high end shopping centers, multiple malls, and many nice businesses. How could such a dumpy area support those types of businesses if it is what you say?
Ok.....I will give you a short answer then post later with some specifics.....

1. North Palm Beach doesn't start until EAST of Alt A1A so everything west of Alt A1A to Miltary is PBG....better check your map Jr.... About 1/3 of PBG is north of PGA not anywhere near 1/2. The newer developments are up there making it nicer.
2. White trash trailer parks: Ok, here are a few off the top of my head, RCA BLVD at Prosperity is Monet Circle trailer park, then that HUGE trailer park ON PGA Blvd east of the mall (2555 PGA Blvd) and the other one is at 8220 N Military east of Square Lake (looks like it even could be bigger than the PGA one).
3. The whole area around Gardens High School (Holly Lane area) is white trash crap, looks like Cabana Colony West with some low income Section 8 housing on the perimeter streets immediately surrounding the school.
4. As far as the mall location.......Let's think for a minute, where can you find cheap land, centrally located to Palm Beach and Jupiter Island with zoning that will allow 800,000 sq ft of retail? PBG had nothing going on and was the obvious choice for it due to the location not the local residents. Lets face it the residents of Cabana Colony are working in the food court and the only shopping they are doing at Saks is "shop-lifting." By your own reasoning west Okeechobee Blvd must be where the wealthiest people in the county live since there is a Rolls Royce/Bentley/Ferrari dealership located there.......yeah must be the residents that live around the dealership....

I'll cut and paste some google map links so you can refresh your memories of PBG.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 8,475,247 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok.....I will give you a short answer then post later with some specifics.....

1. North Palm Beach doesn't start until EAST of Alt A1A so everything west of Alt A1A to Miltary is PBG....better check your map Jr.... About 1/3 of PBG is north of PGA not anywhere near 1/2. The newer developments are up there making it nicer.
2. White trash trailer parks: Ok, here are a few off the top of my head, RCA BLVD at Prosperity is Monet Circle trailer park, then that HUGE trailer park ON PGA Blvd east of the mall (2555 PGA Blvd) and the other one is at 8220 N Military east of Square Lake (looks like it even could be bigger than the PGA one).
3. The whole area around Gardens High School (Holly Lane area) is white trash crap, looks like Cabana Colony West with some low income Section 8 housing on the perimeter streets immediately surrounding the school.
4. As far as the mall location.......Let's think for a minute, where can you find cheap land, centrally located to Palm Beach and Jupiter Island with zoning that will allow 800,000 sq ft of retail? PBG had nothing going on and was the obvious choice for it due to the location not the local residents. Lets face it the residents of Cabana Colony are working in the food court and the only shopping they are doing at Saks is "shop-lifting." By your own reasoning west Okeechobee Blvd must be where the wealthiest people in the county live since there is a Rolls Royce/Bentley/Ferrari dealership located there.......yeah must be the residents that live around the dealership....

I'll cut and paste some google map links so you can refresh your memories of PBG.....

You really are so far off base its not worth arguing. So they built an entire mall for a few rich people on Jupiter Island 15 miles away? Sounds like a fantasy. They don't just build huge malls for a small contingent of rich people. If so, the mall would be empty. They build them because there is a demand for the stores. Again, Palm Beach Gardens is one of the higher per capita incomes in Florida. Jupiter Island has nothing to do with PBG.

Your comment about car dealerships is baffling. I never said anything about dealerships. I never said rich people live in PBG. I said middle class to upper middle class. If the original poster wants to live in PBG and he's of middle class breed, I'm sure he is going to look at the nicer communities in PBG, not the crappier areas. And the nicer areas of PBG do not make up only 1/3. You are way off.

Let me ask you this. Where else would you recommend he lives?

Last edited by Nolefan34; 09-05-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
 
12,587 posts, read 14,717,519 times
Reputation: 18770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
You really are so far off base its not worth arguing. So they built an entire mall for a few rich people on Jupiter Island 15 miles away? Sounds like a fantasy. They don't just build huge malls for a small contingent of rich people. If so, the mall would be empty. They build them because there is a demand for the stores. Again, Palm Beach Gardens is one of the higher per capita incomes in Florida. Jupiter Island has nothing to do with PBG.

Your comment about car dealerships is baffling. I never said anything about dealerships. I never said rich people live in PBG. I said middle class to upper middle class. If the original poster wants to live in PBG and he's of middle class breed, I'm sure he is going to look at the nicer communities in PBG, not the crappier areas. And the nicer areas of PBG do not make up only 1/3. You are way off.

Let me ask you this. Where else would you recommend he lives?
Post 4 (PBG IS AN AFFLUENT AREA) seems to contradict your above statement........hmmm

Ha......You get called out on trailer parks, white trash neighborhoods, the PBG boundaries and you comment that the mall was put in PBG because of all the affluence despite the fact it was simply a place to put it where the zoning would allow it.......Your rationale was it was put there to service all the wealthy people so by that same analogy the RR, Bentley and Ferrari dealers are there to service all the wealthy people that surround the dealerships on west Okeechobee Blvd.......clearly not the case/ central location where they would allow the business is the case just like the mall.

PBG is 85% lower class with the Country Clubs sprinkling in the remaining 15%....... Take away the gated communities and what are you left with? White trash, low income and trailer parks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 PM
 
12,587 posts, read 14,717,519 times
Reputation: 18770
Similar point.......Costco and Gander Mountain are both located off Northlake (south of Northlake in PBG). I don't think the surrounding neighbors in Riviera Beach, Lake Park, Mangonia Park are their core clientele. Why then would they put those huge stores there? Because the land was cheap and the zoning allowed it just like the Gardens Mall.......

Sometimes retailers have to make due with locations that allow their business!

Gardens mall was build decades before Mirasol, Old Palm and Frenchman's Reserve were even considered. Furthermore on their website they advertise 40 minutes from Boca Raton, 1 hour from Vero Beach, 1.5 hours from Miami and 2.5 hours from Orlando so they are clearly marketing this to other people than just
the fine folks in PBG!
Visitor Info | The Gardens Mall
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 PM
 
12,587 posts, read 14,717,519 times
Reputation: 18770
Some of PBG's finest WHITE TRASH neighborhoods:
3652 Gull Rd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410 - Foreclosure for Sale - realtor.com® Right next to the mall, Cabana Colony

9017 Green Meadows Way, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418 - Foreclosure for Sale - realtor.com®
Interesting directions listed........Northlake west of Military......seems like that has been mentioned........hmmmm

4565 Brady Ln, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418 - Foreclosure for Sale - realtor.com®

3597 Holiday Rd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410 - Foreclosure for Sale - realtor.com®

3600 Dunes Rd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410 - Foreclosure for Sale - realtor.com®

1077 Raintree Ln, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410 - Foreclosure for Sale - realtor.com®

Whew......all this luxury and affluence is killing me!

Now just to be fair to NoleFan.....

12251 Tillinghast Cir, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
This is the most expensive home listed in PBG.....Not really sure where they get the 15.5mm asking price since the development borders the turnpike, the club went bankrupt and the county values the property at 6.1mm so I guess it is a case of ask a crazy number and even if the buyer offers half the price then you take it and run!

This home clearly is part of the 15% of country club affluent homes.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 08:04 PM
 
12,587 posts, read 14,717,519 times
Reputation: 18770
Ok.....I'm going to quote Wikipedia just because it seems like the numbers are relevant:

The median income for a household in the city was $59,776, and the median income for a family was $74,548 (these figures had risen to $69,630 and $83,715 respectively as of a 2007 estimate).[9] Males had a median income of $50,045 versus $33,221 for females. The per capita income for the city was $42,975. About 3.5% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.9% of those under age 18 and 3.5% of those age 65 or over.


Note those were 2007 numbers (everybody was rich, boom was still running strong)............59K median income......whew it is going to take about 15 of those households living together to buy that 15.5mm mansion!

Fact is the town is average, not affluent despite having a few nice gated communities where wealthy visitors from up north bought 2nd homes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:02 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 8,475,247 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Post 4 (PBG IS AN AFFLUENT AREA) seems to contradict your above statement........hmmm

Ha......You get called out on trailer parks, white trash neighborhoods, the PBG boundaries and you comment that the mall was put in PBG because of all the affluence despite the fact it was simply a place to put it where the zoning would allow it.......Your rationale was it was put there to service all the wealthy people so by that same analogy the RR, Bentley and Ferrari dealers are there to service all the wealthy people that surround the dealerships on west Okeechobee Blvd.......clearly not the case/ central location where they would allow the business is the case just like the mall.

PBG is 85% lower class with the Country Clubs sprinkling in the remaining 15%....... Take away the gated communities and what are you left with? White trash, low income and trailer parks!
Wikipedia says PBG is the 45th highest per capita income in FL. Not too shabby, huh? Yet you conveniently omitted that. Since when is $83,000 median income bad? That's about double the national average! 5.6% poverty rate? That is pretty low. What other arguments you got?

So they built the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton because it is a giant wasteland of cheap land? You think affluent means "wealthy people" like multi-millionaires living in waterfront mansions. Affluent just means well to do. I meant that the area has a lot of middle income and upper middle income residents, which is how it supports a nice mall and nice stores.

Car dealerships are horrible examples because people don't buy a car just because its the closest dealership. They shop around at different dealerships in the area until they find the right car. The are willing to drive further distances for that. By contrast, people go strictly to nearby supermarkets out of convenience. Are you really using Gander as an example of high end shopping?

What makes those "white trash" communities? Did you drive into each of them and take a census? So you point out 1 home, the richest one in PBG, as proof of what?

And you still didn't answer the other question. Which other area of Palm Beach County would you recommend?

Last edited by Nolefan34; 09-06-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 PM
 
12,587 posts, read 14,717,519 times
Reputation: 18770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Wikipedia says PBG is the 45th highest per capita income in FL. Not too shabby, huh? Yet you conveniently omitted that. Since when is $83,000 median income bad? That's about double the national average! 5.6% poverty rate? That is pretty low. What other arguments you got?

So they built the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton because it is a giant wasteland of cheap land? You think affluent means "wealthy people" like multi-millionaires living in waterfront mansions. Affluent just means well to do. I meant that the area has a lot of middle income and upper middle income residents, which is how it supports a nice mall and nice stores.

Car dealerships are horrible examples because people don't buy a car just because its the closest dealership. They shop around at different dealerships in the area until they find the right car. The are willing to drive further distances for that. By contrast, people go strictly to nearby supermarkets out of convenience. Are you really using Gander as an example of high end shopping?

What makes those "white trash" communities? Did you drive into each of them and take a census? So you point out 1 home, the richest one in PBG, as proof of what?

And you still didn't answer the other question. Which other area of Palm Beach County would you recommend?
1. I didn't omit anything.....I copied and pasted the whole paragraph. BTW 45th in the state......that isn't exactly noteworthy and 83K for a family is certainly not affluent especially considering 2007 was the end of the boom.....husband/wife each make 41,500? Woohooo welcome to the 1%....NOT.
2. You do realize that Boca Raton was high end for decades before the mall was built right? Maurice Fatio and Addison Mizner were building houses 60 years before the mall was built. Also note the mall was actually built in unincorporated PBC (it was annexed later into the city for the tax base). So in the late 70's that section of unincorporated Palm Beach County was wasteland west of I95! Don't let facts stand in your way though......
3. Car dealership and the Gander Mountain examples were analogies based on your poor perceptions that you build things specifically for the residents in the immediate areas surrounding the business (clearly wrong). I even noted the mall advertises it's proximity to Miami/Orlando/Vero Beach so they are building in a central location, not for the sole use of PBG residents.
4. White Trash Neighborhoods: Yes they are, did you click on the links? Cabana Colony had 5-6 high school kids die of drug overdoses in ONE SUMMER. Take a drive through since obviously you haven't in awhile......try that crazy google maps idea, save some gas!
5. I mentioned the one high end home in Old Palm as representation of the small amount of high end homes in the city. I suspect there are more trailers on PGA Blvd than mansions in Old Palm.
6. If a buyer wants to live in an affluent area of Palm Beach County I would recommend Palm Beach, Highland Beach, Ocean Ridge, GulfStream or Manalapan........Do you see that all of those communities have something PBG doesn't......yeah a BEACH! Gardens must have thrown that one by you with by simply putting their "beach" in their name only!
7. You obviously DO NOT KNOW THE DEFINITION OF AFFLUENT SO HERE IT IS:
Note: They mention the affluent families of Newport, not PBG



adjective: affluent
  1. 1.
    (esp. of a group or area) having a great deal of money; wealthy.

    "the affluent societies of the western world"
    wealthy, rich, prosperous, well off, moneyed, well-to-do; Morepropertied, substantial, of means, of substance, plutocratic;
    informalwell-heeled, rolling in it, made of money, filthy rich, stinking rich, loaded, on easy street;
    upper-class, upscale
    "the affluent families of Newport



Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 AM
 
3,912 posts, read 8,475,247 times
Reputation: 1927
45th in a state with about 10,000 cities is noteworthy. Especially when it ranks ahead of places like Marco Island, Lighthouse Point, and only a few spots behind Boca Raton. The cities ahead of them are places like Jupiter Island, Star Island, Fisher Island, and Manalapan. You said yourself PBG only has about 5% poverty rate! You have lost this argument based on that fact alone.

You named off the 4-5 wealthiest cities in FL. I'm sure the original poster is part of the 1% and has 15 million to spend on a new home. He shouldn't consider living anywhere else because the rest of FL is all white trash and not worth considering. Is that what you're saying?

Regarding your comment about Gander, so in every ghetto neighborhood of South FL, they have high end jewelry stores and Saks Fifth Ave, right? They have Whole Foods in Opa Locka, right?

$45,000 per year is what most people are making these days. The national average is about that for an entire family, not individual people. Yeah its sucks, right? Blame it on Obama or Bush.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 09-08-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM
 
12,587 posts, read 14,717,519 times
Reputation: 18770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
You have lost this argument based on that fact alone.
In your own opinion......


Dude you got stuffed in this thread so many times it is laughable I understand you might consider yourself a local but you are clearly wrong. PBG is working class, plenty of white trash areas (Cabana Colony BTW is over a 1,000 homes alone) and if you remove the 15% of gated communities you are left with crap. Also note 57K was the household income, 83K was for a family.....neither of which is going to get you invited to Mitt Romney's Christmas Party with the rest of the 1%! The other consideration is your Wikipedia quote was using 2007 numbers, I would expect current numbers to be lower and unemployment higher.



Here is a synopsis:

1. Definition of affluent.......................................... ..............fail
2. Location of PBG city limits............................................ ....fail
3. Denial about PBG trailer parks X3......................................fail
4. Understanding commercial real estate development.............fail
5. Denial............................................ ...............................Winner!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top