U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,056 times

Advertisements

We (my husband, infant son and I) are planning on movingfrom the SF Bay Area to South Florida in December. I have some questions about salary and cost of living. I will be keeping my job and salary of $75k/yr and will be working from home. We plan on having one car and my husband will stay home and watch our son, at least for now. Would we be able to rent a nice 3 bedroom apartment or buy a house on that salary? When you compare the prices of the Bay Area to Florida, things seem so much cheaper out there. Like right now we are paying $2.5k a month for rent on a two bedroom townhouse, and full time daycare for our son is $1200 a month (which is cheap daycare for here!). Even though we’ll be on one salary, we figure with cheaper rent and no daycare we’ll be fine. Or am I totally wrong and will we be struggling? We don’t plan on being extravagant and will cut back where we need to. We don’t have an exact location we’d like to live in yet – we figured we’d get a rental for the first few months or year while we decide where we’d like to buy – but areas like Boca and Wellington look nice. Schools aren't a factor now but they will be in a few years. Are we crazy for trying to live on one salary or is this doable? Thanks in advance and any insights are appreciated!

Last edited by interx; 09-09-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,060 times
Choose the Boca Raton area for a nice place to live ...it is near the ocean and has really beautiful communities. Rentals will be in the 1200.- 1600 Range and child care is abundant.
If you are horse person then wellington is for you ...if not then choose Boca because it has wonderful restaurants and entertainment and shopping and the ocean ...wellington has horses and horse people ....

Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,838,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interx View Post
We (my husband, infant son and I) are planning on movingfrom the SF Bay Area to South Florida in December. I have some questions about salary and cost of living. I will be keeping my job and salary of $75k/yr and will be working from home. We plan on having one car and my husband will stay home and watch our son, at least for now. Would we be able to rent a nice 3 bedroom apartment or buy a house on that salary? When you compare the prices of the Bay Area to Florida, things seem so much cheaper out there. Like right now we are paying $2.5k a month for rent on a two bedroom townhouse, and full time daycare for our son is $1200 a month (which is cheap daycare for here!). Even though well be on one salary, we figure with cheaper rent and no daycare well be fine. Or am I totally wrong and will we be struggling? We dont plan on being extravagant and will cut back where we need to. We dont have an exact location wed like to live in yet we figured wed get a rental for the first few months or year while we decide where wed like to buy but areas like Boca and Wellington look nice. Schools aren't a factor now but they will be in a few years. Are we crazy for trying to live on one salary or is this doable? Thanks in advance and any insights are appreciated!
$75K is a doable here for two people and a child, depending on your expenses and health insurance coverage costs for your family, which is very expensive.

If the car is paid for, and is not a luxury model, insurance can be kept lower but it tends to be very high here overall, older car high deductible and lower liability, you can keep your monthly payments low.

Rents are high here in relation to the average salaries. A nice 1 bedroom apartment in a desirable area is easily $1200+ a month, I tend to say $1300 because there are hidden fees tacked on that can adjust that. Boca nd Wellington are easily the priciest choices in PB County. Rents are going up and demand is high.

I do not know how your affording the SF Bay Area on those wages to tell you the truth? $75K/year here is roughly $4400K to $4600K net take home a month here, depending on your withholdings. If you have limited expenses you can make it, but money goes fast with kids.

You might want to look at another part of Florida that has a lower COL if you can take your job with you, will allow you to pocket more $.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion1928 View Post
...wellington has horses and horse people ....
Yes, we only eat oats and sleep in our stables at night here.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 AM

THX 1138 - thanks for your reply! I was laughing at the thought of living in the Bay Area on $75k a year. Here my husband has a job with a salary of about $100k a year. There is a possibility that he can keep it and also work remotely when we move, but it's a big maybe and we don't know at this point. If he can keep it that would be great, but we're planning on just me having a job. We could move anywhere in the country or Florida really, but we chose this area because my parents are there part of the year (yes, the dreaded snow birds ), we're much closer to family as we have none in CA, there's a beach, there are lots of synagogues/Jewish neighborhoods and it's cheaper there than the Bay Area. Yes, I'm under no illusions that it's "cheap", but honestly compared to here anything else seems cheap. We figured without the expense of two cars or gas for a work commute, the flexibility of where we could live, no state income tax, no daycare, we could hopefully make a go of it on one salary.

Figures that we'd gravitate towards the expensive neighborhoods! Are there other areas that you can suggest? We are going to stay with my parents initially for a week or two as we get our feet on the ground and find a rental, and where we rent will likely not be where we end up buying as we'll need some time to figure where we want to buy and to find a place. We don't want to wait too long though as prices seem to be going up! As for areas, we aren't looking for anything fancy. Really just wherever we can get a decent 3 bedroom rental in a relatively safe neighborhood. My son is less than a year old so we don't need to worry about schools yet.

Thanks for the heads up about the car insurance. I'll check with my insurance provider ahead of time to get an idea of what we can expect.

Hopefully healthcare costs will be ok. I'll be keeping the same health insurance, which we do through my work, so whatever is deducted from the paycheck will remain the same.

And for the record I do like horses. I may be able to deal with Wellington then although I draw the line at sleeping in stables. Oats are good though.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM

166 posts, read 331,040 times
Quote:
THX 1138 - thanks for your reply! I was laughing at the thought of living in the Bay Area on $75k a year. Here my husband has a job with a salary of about $100k a year. There is a possibility that he can keep it and also work remotely when we move, but it's a big maybe and we don't know at this point. If he can keep it that would be great, but we're planning on just me having a job. We could move anywhere in the country or Florida really, but we chose this area because my parents are there part of the year (yes, the dreaded snow birds ), we're much closer to family as we have none in CA, there's a beach, there are lots of synagogues/Jewish neighborhoods and it's cheaper there than the Bay Area. Yes, I'm under no illusions that it's "cheap", but honestly compared to here anything else seems cheap. We figured without the expense of two cars or gas for a work commute, the flexibility of where we could live, no state income tax, no daycare, we could hopefully make a go of it on one salary.

Figures that we'd gravitate towards the expensive neighborhoods! Are there other areas that you can suggest? We are going to stay with my parents initially for a week or two as we get our feet on the ground and find a rental, and where we rent will likely not be where we end up buying as we'll need some time to figure where we want to buy and to find a place. We don't want to wait too long though as prices seem to be going up! As for areas, we aren't looking for anything fancy. Really just wherever we can get a decent 3 bedroom rental in a relatively safe neighborhood. My son is less than a year old so we don't need to worry about schools yet.

Thanks for the heads up about the car insurance. I'll check with my insurance provider ahead of time to get an idea of what we can expect.

Hopefully healthcare costs will be ok. I'll be keeping the same health insurance, which we do through my work, so whatever is deducted from the paycheck will remain the same.

And for the record I do like horses. I may be able to deal with Wellington then although I draw the line at sleeping in stables. Oats are good though.
Based on my experience, I would say that a lot of families with your income move to the Coral Springs/Parkland area for its affordability, location (mid-way between Miami and West Palm Beach), and schools. Schools drive resale in real estate so you should rent or buy with that in mind. People like to rent in areas where they can afford to buy so to get familiar with the area, shopping, friends, play groups, etc.. Usually, unless you have a lot of debt, you can qualify at 3 times your income so yes buying a 3 bedroom townhome for $225,000 is doable. A 3 bedroom townhome would rent for $1700-$2300 here depending on location and community amenities. Rents, prices and mortgage rates have only one way to go here, up, up, up. Coral Springs and Parkland are essentially sister cities, real estate prices are one of the key differences. Both have A elementary schools and Parkland schools were rated #1 in the US by Forbes magazine for bang for the real estate buck!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:

I would check out Wellington, a lot of people have kids here...I mean a lot! Great place for families, mainly the schools, activities and parks which are hard to beat. There is a mall here, shopping and etc. Self sufficient community for the most part, close to downtown WPB, easy drive to the beach via Southern Blvd. and only 20-30 miles from Boca to visit your family.

These just went in near the mall, newest apartment complex in Wellington currently.

Apartments in Wellington, FL | AXIS Wellington Green

Old 09-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Everything I've heard about Wellington is great, so we'll definitely look there! Due to our budget we probably would look to buy a townhouse or condo at first and then move in a few years when we need more room. Does anyone know of specific complexes that are nice and in good areas? I know we don't need schools right now, but like garyhitchcock mentioned above schools do help resale value so good ones are important.

My parents' condo is actually in Lake Worth so Wellington is right there! However, we aren't specifically looking for something right by them. If we went up in Parkland that's fine as we are still closer to them there than we are in California.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Townhomes and Condos would be rent by owner and are not on the market too long, demand is very high, you have to work with a Realtor or check out realtor.com or various other sites for rentals. Best advice is find a local real estate agent via the web and tell them what your looking for and budget. Plan on having 3 times the monthly rental cost in your checking account during lease signing, pretty much the norm here for by owners, 1st, Last + Security Deposit...can be very expensive up front to rent...apartment complexes typically do not ask for 3 months rent up front.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 AM

986 posts, read 3,435,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Townhomes and Condos would be rent by owner and are not on the market too long, demand is very high, you have to work with a Realtor or check out realtor.com or various other sites for rentals. Best advice is find a local real estate agent via the web and tell them what your looking for and budget. Plan on having 3 times the monthly rental cost in your checking account during lease signing, pretty much the norm here for by owners, 1st, Last + Security Deposit...can be very expensive up front to rent...apartment complexes typically do not ask for 3 months rent up front.
^^^ Definitely that. I agree.

Plus, as said already here, Wellington is probably the best area to look into - it's great overall, very well kept and properly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach