Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 20,816 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

First, thanks in advance for any responses. I know everyone is busy and I sincerely appreciate your time. Also sorry for long post

Background:
I am a senior commercial portfolio manager/credit analyst for a major U.S. Bank and I'm really close to moving from Tampa, FL to WPB. My final interview is this Monday and I plan on spending this weekend in WPB to get to know the area and see if it is a good fit.

Also, while I'm 32, I have an genuine "old soul" and grew up in some nice suburbs in Michigan and would not want anything to do with living in a "Manhattan" or the crazy Miami scene. So, with that said, I think WPB may be an excellent location for me, based on what I've read. Any information would be extremely helpful, but this is what I am thinking or what I am hoping to find out so far.

Questions:
1) I would be working at 525 Okeechobee Blvd., which is right next to the City Place condos, I believe. I have never been to WPB or City Place, but I have read some really good things and I think it could be right up my alley (more on the higher end). I enjoy going out to eat a lot and going out on Friday and Saturday nights or the occasional night out after a long day during the work week. So the idea of living near City Place (a first time for me living in a downtown area) and being able to walk to work or the night life is very appealing. Also, I lived in higher end apartments for most of my professional career and really enjoy working hard and coming home to mostly maintenance free living.

At the same time, I'm a getting a little bit tired of having someone above or below me and hearing noises, so I would be willing to consider renting a condo, especially detached, even if I had to drive in and out of downtown every day, especially if I could save some money and spend it on food, drinks, entertainment, etc. Right now I really would prefer not to buy, being single and with a new job, until I am sure everything is a good fit.

What are some places, areas, properties that you would recommend me take a look at during my visit? Also, what are the major areas called other than Clematis and City Place.

2) I am a big beach volleyball player and love to spend time on the beach and/or in a casual beach type bar, especially on Sundays! What area or places would you recommend where I could play beach volleyball and are there any nice beach bars with good seafood on or near the beach that you could recommend?

I'm very excited about visiting this weekend and look forward to any responses I may receive.

Best Regards,

j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Personally I would live downtown, commuting around here is not the most enjoyable aspect....to and from some areas it can be a headache and waste of money and time. You could live west, in the burbs and still get downtown quite easily. Have you priced rentals and what are your requirements 1 or 2 bedroom? Do you have a budget? If your comfortable spending $1200-1500/month for rent you can find some nice places. Detached = more $$, usually the only thing detached is a single family home and those can be pricey in the nice areas.

Downtown WPB is not too nuts, it's just right in my opinion, nice small city that has it's sketchy parts just like anyplace else, easy to drive around and to get to.

Better to rent for a year or two, learn the area and where you want to live.

In terms of Downtown WPB, City Place and Clematis is the two main areas of restaurants, shops and etc. In between there are other places spread out, also Palm Beach is right across the bridge and has high end shopping, dining, beaches and etc but is very seasonal with season starting next month. Then you have the rest of the area to explore, plenty to see, do, shop and eat here.

Beach volleyball is not as popular here like it is California at least on the beach, that is I have never seen a beach volleyball nets on the beach here like I saw in California. Most of them area located in the various parks, but not right on the beach. I think there is one in Delray on the beach and I do believe they set them up for special events occasionally.

Plenty of restaurants near the beach, but not in WPB city limits you have to go to the island, Palm Beach or go north or south.

Not on the beach but close, good place that's been around for years, is Testa's on Palm Beach.

http://www.testasrestaurants.com/

There are some other places, but depending on how much time you have it might too much. City Place and Clematis has a bunch of places as well.

Dune Deck which is south on Lantana Beach, but more of a mix of food not strictly seafood, but is right on the beach, good place for breakfast or lunch.

Dune Deck Cafe

Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM

981 posts, read 898,961 times
for a great beachfront bar i would check out boston's sand bar in delray beach. pretty much always packed on a sunday and appears to be a youngish crowd. there is a pretty big beach volleyball setup right near boston's as well. checkout meetup.com and search on the palm beach county volleyball group, looks like they are having a game there on sun at 9am.

also deerfield beach has a great sunday party atmosphere as well, probably even a younger crowd than delray. have fun and good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 20,816 times
Thx 1138,

Thanks so much for the very helpful reply!

A few follow-ups...

When you mentioned living west, I saw a number of rentals on Okeechobee Blvd. (Apts., condos, SFRs, etc.), west of downtown, I assume that is that what you mean by the "burbs" of WPB ?

Yes, I've started to price rentals and am anticipating a bit of a jump from Tampa (13% cost of living total). However, I am over paying for my current condo rental here, so it won't be as bad as it could be and I should be getting a raise and/or cost of living increase with this move. I am currently paying approx. $1,400 + $45 for water, sewer, trash, etc. for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo rental, with granite counter tops, wood floor (1,280 sq. ft.), but it is still way too much for the age, quality of construction, area, etc.

In WPB, I would prefer a 2 bedroom, as I already have all the furniture and love to have it available for family and friends to visit. I really don't know that many higher end places other than City Place condos and those seemed quite pricey. Could you recommend some other places to me, since you recommend living downtown and or great locations at least (on _____ street between _____ and ____, for example). I read about a new place on Flagler, as well, have you heard or seen it?. I will tour City Place to check out that property though. In your opinion, are they overpriced/overrated? If I were to fall in love with City Place Condos and the location, I may settle for a 1 bedroom and sell my other furniture or go with a 2 bedroom there, but I'd rather not spend a lion's share of my budget on rent and not be able to enjoy the area (hence, a less pricey property or a detached condo or SFR is still in play outside of the city). I think my budget will be $1,200 to $1,750, with a max. of $2,000. I don't need nor want a lot of space, frankly less is more for me and less to keep clean, I just wanted it with very nice finishes, possibly with real or fake cherry cabinets and a great, high end, well kept, bachelor bad. Any place or area come to mind specifically, would be greatly appreciated?

ALso, I appreciate the two restaurant tips. I will def. check them out. When you say Palm Beach.... is Palm Beach directly each of downtown WPB on the other side of the inter-coastal? You said that I would have to go to the "island, Palm Beach...".... Are the island and Palm Beach used interchangeably or is Palm Beach different than the island.... where is the island, then?) l was hoping the area to the east of downtown WPB would be more laid back (like Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island in South Carolina), but it sounds like it is more high end, as well, which is not a problem. I will have to find some places where a tee-shirt, board shorts/swim shorts, flips flops and a little sand are not a problem .

Thanks again for your reply. It is sincerely appreciated. Also, when I am enjoying saturday night on Clematis and downtown WPB, anything I MUST do. Some play I have to see, eat at, have a particular drink at? I plan on going to Blue Martini and also the Roxy's roof, other than that I am open and would love to get you or other people's thoughts. THANKS!\

J

Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM

another option on a rental you might want to check out is some of the guest houses that are part of the old estate style homes in the historic districts of WPB - el cid , flamingo park, etc. very close to city place but also very quiet. my guess is most of those would probably rent through a real estate agent.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 PM

the island / palm beach are used interchangably. officially i think it is referred to as "palm beach island" or "island of palm beach" but most of the locals just call it "the island". it is right across the intercoastal - there is a bridge very close to city place area on okeechobee. imho, the island has kind of a stiff feel, definitely not a board short flip flop crowd. but definitely great people watching and aesthetically beautiful. to me delray, deerfield, and las olas in fort lauderdale have more of a relaxed beach vibe. if you like reggae there is supposed to be a good live reggae club in delray as well...

Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaze View Post
Thx 1138,

Thanks so much for the very helpful reply!

A few follow-ups...

When you mentioned living west, I saw a number of rentals on Okeechobee Blvd. (Apts., condos, SFRs, etc.), west of downtown, I assume that is that what you mean by the "burbs" of WPB ?
Yes, but the burbs go way out west to where I live in Wellington, there are pockets of so so areas in between, some are a little rough around the edges. You have a lot of options, but I suggest you rent close to work and get to know the area and find out what best fits your desires. I live in Wellington because I like the location, it's not too far from downtown WPB and the beaches, but it would be nicer to be closer like a 5 minute drive.

Quote:

Yes, I've started to price rentals and am anticipating a bit of a jump from Tampa (13% cost of living total). However, I am over paying for my current condo rental here, so it won't be as bad as it could be and I should be getting a raise and/or cost of living increase with this move. I am currently paying approx. $1,400 + $45 for water, sewer, trash, etc. for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo rental, with granite counter tops, wood floor (1,280 sq. ft.), but it is still way too much for the age, quality of construction, area, etc.
That's close for a luxury apartment here, depending on where you choose to live. Some are less, the desirable areas are always more expensive. You might be able to rent a attached villa/towhhome for around that price or a little more in Wellington, but they go quick.

[/quote]

Quote:

In WPB, I would prefer a 2 bedroom, as I already have all the furniture and love to have it available for family and friends to visit. I really don't know that many higher end places other than City Place condos and those seemed quite pricey. Could you recommend some other places to me, since you recommend living downtown and or great locations at least (on _____ street between _____ and ____, for example). I read about a new place on Flagler, as well, have you heard or seen it?. I will tour City Place to check out that property though. In your opinion, are they overpriced/overrated? If I were to fall in love with City Place Condos and the location, I may settle for a 1 bedroom and sell my other furniture or go with a 2 bedroom there, but I'd rather not spend a lion's share of my budget on rent and not be able to enjoy the area (hence, a less pricey property or a detached condo or SFR is still in play outside of the city). I think my budget will be $1,200 to $1,750, with a max. of $2,000. I don't need nor want a lot of space, frankly less is more for me and less to keep clean, I just wanted it with very nice finishes, possibly with real or fake cherry cabinets and a great, high end, well kept, bachelor bad. Any place or area come to mind specifically, would be greatly appreciated?
I am not too up to date on the rentals downtown, maybe someone else can fill you in? Most of the places downtown, at least the new places are high rises, do you want that or a smaller complex? You might be able to rent something older along Flagler for less but it may not be high end but more affordable. Also lot's of rent by owners.

You can look around here for some ideas:

Florida Home from The Palm Beach Post | www.palmbeachpost.com

Quote:

ALso, I appreciate the two restaurant tips. I will def. check them out. When you say Palm Beach.... is Palm Beach directly each of downtown WPB on the other side of the inter-coastal? You said that I would have to go to the "island, Palm Beach...".... Are the island and Palm Beach used interchangeably or is Palm Beach different than the island.... where is the island, then?) l was hoping the area to the east of downtown WPB would be more laid back (like Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island in South Carolina), but it sounds like it is more high end, as well, which is not a problem. I will have to find some places where a tee-shirt, board shorts/swim shorts, flips flops and a little sand are not a problem .
If you stay on Okeechobee east bound till you hit the intracoastal, you can take the Royal Park Bridge to Palm Beach, eventually if you keep going east you will hit Ocean Blvd and the beach. Palm Beach is very manicured and nice, a lot of wealth. Many call it "The Island" to differentiate it from the county, since they are two of the same in name. Palm Beach itself is populated with a lot of celebrities and wealthy people, the shops are high end on Worth Avenue, but it's not like it's too exclusive for the average Joe. You will fit in fine with the typical beach wear, Palm Beach also get's a lot of Tourists as well.

Quote:

Thanks again for your reply. It is sincerely appreciated. Also, when I am enjoying saturday night on Clematis and downtown WPB, anything I MUST do. Some play I have to see, eat at, have a particular drink at? I plan on going to Blue Martini and also the Roxy's roof, other than that I am open and would love to get you or other people's thoughts. THANKS!\

I suggest Rocco's Tacos on Clematis, a little loud but there is a good crowd there often, Pizza Girls has great pizza...a few places on Clematis....City Place well sounds like you scoped it out, BB Kings is popular as well. Lot's of options, just depends how much time you have to spare? There is events going on at Kravis Center also a few Art Museums (Norton and Society of the Four Arts) which are quite good.

If your into local history, there is the Flagler Mansion on Palm Beach as well. Also suggest you check out The Breakers on Palm Beach, you can park and walk in and check it out they do not care.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Your price range is good and will get you 1-2br in a new building downtown, Cityplace area or just off of downtown (some options along South Flagler drive just south of downtown keeps you close, but quieter).

You may even be able to find a small place on Palm Beach if you're lucky but it won't be 2br.

Honestly there are tons of options.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 PM

Probably sending you more info than you ever wanted. But I just saw this email from City of Delray Beach. Looks like the EVP Pro & Amateur Beach Volleyball Series is happening at Delray Beach this Sat...

Volleyball Professionals | Pro and Amateur Beach Volleyball

Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 PM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
I recommend driving down to Miami on Saturday mornings and playing volleyball at Haulover Beach park. Stiff competition there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach