Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 AM

17 posts, read 22,276 times

Advertisements

Are there any specific communities in Florida where one can walk out their door and maybe do a 2-3 mile drive or maybe walk to pick up a cup of coffee and the paper.

Food shopping would be excellent if it is within walking distance. Thanks.

PS 2 small dog friendly, a must. I explored the walkability info available on this forum (excellent resource) but I am unfamiliar with which specific communities are included in each zone.

Help. Thanks so much.

Last edited by iLinda; 09-15-2013 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,126,577 times
I've lived in east Lake Worth and east Boca and both fit your description. In Boca, food shopping is just over a mile, but a green market (most months) and specialty food available in the neighborhood. Boca is safer, you can walk your dogs for miles at any hour. When I was in Lake Worth, we didn't walk after dark. Boca police are like neighbors and quite visible.

You cCan walk to great beaches in either town. Lake Worth is more edgy and artsy, Boca more flashy, but east Boca has a mix of the very wealthy and homeless. (Though I have been in some incredible homes in east Lake Worth that could go toe to toe with many of those in Boca, IMO, and they have castles in Lake Worth!)

Will be interesting to learn of towns with similar profiles.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Magnolia Bloom (beautiful pen name). Thanks for providing a starting point. I will try searches in those areas but I'm still not really sure if east lake worth & east boca are the specific names of condo communities or of a geographic area. So many developments do not allow any pets at all???? Weird.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,378,232 times
East Delray is a very walkable area. 2 small dogs are pretty easy to accommodate there. Be prepared to pay a large ($~500)deposit though if you are renting..

Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 PM

981 posts, read 890,038 times
i second skyline's response. i live in one of east delray's historic districts. i am .50 mile from a great coffee shop and publix/cvs/chase bank and just about a 1 mile from beach and downtown atlantic avenue. everything is here. they also just added the trolley and there is also a free shuttle service with "the downtowner". not to mention an arts scene, pro tennis, and library all within a mile as well. there are also a lot of apartments in the area, although i suspect the rent isnt exactly a bargain. however, there are a lot of the historic homes that have small guest houses that are often for rent and might have less restrictive pet policies. the only downside (like most of florida that isnt a gated community) you do have the $1m home with the run down shack (complete w shady looking characters) close by. but i would say with all the renovation (mine being one / new construction happening this is becoming less of an issue. the town is doing a lot of investment in attracting new business and amping up police surveillance - so imho delray will become an even better place to live. my husband and i have been here for almost two years with no issue, and feel comfortable walking the dogs at night. we wanted more of a historic village feel where we are close to everything - and would accomodate our 3 dogs - so east delray was just perfect for us.

Last edited by klaucka; 09-15-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Thank you both for your input to my quest. Will explore east boca and east delray. Looking for a condo. Question: east of what? A street, a place, a highway?
Thanks.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,961,207 times
Some would say east of Swinton Ave. I'd think east of the railroad tracks. Nice area. If you find something along 5th or 6th ave. you'll be between Old School Square and the Marina District.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,147,979 times
Yes. Where we live our EXCELLENT grocer is a short walk away. A nice, leisurely beautiful walk too! We often walk or ride bikes and get a few things..... or more. There is also a small Italian place to eat there, a chinese restaurant, a gelato store and wine store... and a hairdresser.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,953 times
Hi, We will be moving to South Florida in two or three months, I want my kids (13 and 15) to attend schools in Palm Beach but I have to go to Pompano every day. Will east Delray be too far from Pompano? I like east or central Boca but I feel that is more expensive...we have to rent something around $1500 for 3/2 house or apartment, so far I like what you are saying about Delray but I don't know if is going to be hard to go every day to Pompano I will take my daughter around 11:00am and pick her up around 8:00pm is this rent doable in Delray?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM

981 posts, read 890,038 times
will you be doing the drive to pompano during rush hour? if so it could be a bit of a grind with the traffic - probably 45 mins. if it isnt rush hour it isnt a bad drive at all. wrt to rent for a 3/2 i would say $1500 sounds a little low, especially if it is right downtown. probably closer to $1800 range. but im definitely not a real estate agent . i do see a few single family homes in our neighborhood (del ida historic district) that probably are in that a little less than $2000 range and still very close to town beach and easy access to the 95. another area that has a similar vibe would be las olas in fort lauderdale which would be much closer to pompano. prices would probably be the same range as delray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach