U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,468,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I read better than you spell!

ok......I will give you the other side. The cops on the sting squad don't have to do anything, the tickets write themselves! I know several of the motorcycle deputies and when they set up it is for speeding or seatbelts. They get in good positions and let the violators come to them, often writing dozens of tickets per hour without having to "pad" anything. They don't get paid bonuses, they certainly aren't gaining financially from a $78 seat belt violation!

The glitch in your story is the violation was committed before the "pull over" so your description of "unbuckling for the wallet" simply isn't valid..............another conspiracy theory crushed.....
You are a jerk looking for a confrontation and clearly think your cop friends can't make mistakes. I hope you end up on the other side someday and someone treats you like dirt. He didn't commit any crime and the cops were clearly wrong. Oh, Thanks for insulting me for one minor mistake because I'm on my phone. Get your facts straight before continuing to insult me, the ticket is $116 and it might increase insurance rates in our state. Again all for a crime he DID NOT commit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
That is really awful. You can hire the "Ticket Clinic" or something similar to fight the case for you, I think it starts at $75, they are betting on the cop NOT showing up not so much defending your case. It is my experience they generally do NOT show up. The drivers and my family have gotten out of many tickets this way. I had one instance where the cop showed up and I had to pay court costs. That exceeded the original cost of the ticket.

Depending on how much the ticket it, you may want to just pay the ticket.
Thanks for the constructive advice! I think we will talk to a lawyer and file a formal complaint. I saw you could do it online but I only have Internet access from my phone right now so have to wait until we get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:00 PM

118 posts, read 191,412 times
I would of asked the cop can i take my seat belt off to get my wallet or just grab it with the seat belt on. Cops can be rude i had my fair share of them i just try to kiss their butts as much as possible and move on. So i just make sure i drive the speed limit don't run yellow lights unless I'm near the line pretty much drive like a 60 year old man.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM

161 posts, read 120,032 times
That's what he gets for not wearing a seat belt.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 PM

3,468 posts, read 3,413,386 times
By your own admission you were in the car, with the car running, without a seatbelt on... Don't know if I would bring that defense to court. You'll win if the traffic officer doesn't show, which is highly unlikely - s/he will have multiple tickets that day. If you go, try to at least get a withhold of a judication, then your state will probably not holdit against you. It's usually offered if you take a plea of nolo contendre or no contest. (At least it is in Dade, not sure about PB though)

This is just one of the inconvenient, unfair in your eyes, facts of life. We all have to deal with them at one point. It sucks, but it is what it is. I'm sure you or your Dad have never, ever, violated a traffic rule/law in your life and were not cited for it either.

Can you file a complaint, sure, PBSO has an internal affairs like any other police department. You'll most likley be required to go down and give a signed, sworn statement, under oath. FWIW, traffic cops get these types of complaints by the bucket full, it doesn't scare them or worry them. You were potentially videotaped as well... IIRC, PBSO uses cameras in their cars.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM

9,342 posts, read 15,591,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
You are a jerk looking for a confrontation and clearly think your cop friends can't make mistakes. I hope you end up on the other side someday and someone treats you like dirt. He didn't commit any crime and the cops were clearly wrong. Oh, Thanks for insulting me for one minor mistake because I'm on my phone. Get your facts straight before continuing to insult me, the ticket is $116 and it might increase insurance rates in our state. Again all for a crime he DID NOT commit.

Thanks for the constructive advice! I think we will talk to a lawyer and file a formal complaint. I saw you could do it online but I only have Internet access from my phone right now so have to wait until we get home.
Don't know why it would affect insurance rates, as it is a non-moving violation.

Why would your dad take off his seat belt and reach for his wallet? Probably freaked the cop out a bit to be approaching the vehicle seeing the driver reaching for something. He should have waited for instructions from the cop, IMO.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 AM

793 posts, read 268,766 times
why wouldn't he take his seat belt off to get his wallet? If you're someone not used to being involved with police you probably wouldn't second guess an innocent action.

Sauce, check out pbsotalk.com. Not sure how much of that stuff is true but it's interesting.

I was given a speeding ticket for going 35mph in a 25 mph zone. Odd, I was driving to the trans place because my car wouldn't shift and could not go over 15 mph.

So a statement from my mechanic cleared up that bogus ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach