U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,630,121 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions for this situation...
My father and I are visiting relatives ( we are from out of state). We were traveling down Military today and were forced into a police block. My dad took his seat belt off to get his wallet. He was then told he was getting a ticket for not having a seat belt on. This is such bs because he was RIGHT in front of a cop when he took his seat belt off. I SAW him take it off AND we were in a car that dings if you don't have it on. We tried arguing to no anvil. I can't believe cops have nothing better to do the to harass people and give out fake tickets.
Anyways. Do any residents know how we go about filing a compliant? We have no clue what to do since we arent local but can't believe this corruption. I'd rather pay a lawyer then give PBSO a dime in fines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:12 PM

355 posts, read 737,702 times
What was the reason for pulling you over? They can't pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt its a secondary offense. If you were speeding and he only gave a ticket for not wearing the belt, consider that a treat.
Correction - http://www.flhsmv.gov/safetytips/SeatBelt.htm

Last edited by jgreco5; 11-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Nope, weren't speeding or anything. It was a traffic block and they were just pulling people into a parking lot.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,386,008 times
I believe the only place to dispute the ticket is to show up on the court date and tell the judge your version of the incident. Many times the police officer won't show up in court and the case will be dismissed.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 AM

10,188 posts, read 12,235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
I believe the only place to dispute the ticket is to show up on the court date and tell the judge your version of the incident. Many times the police officer won't show up in court and the case will be dismissed.

This is bad information............the cops are paid to show up, in some cases it is overtime so they are there more often than not.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Nope, weren't speeding or anything. It was a traffic block and they were just pulling people into a parking lot.

It was a safety check/sting............It isn't corruption (In philosophical, theological, or moral discussions, corruption is spiritual or moral impurity or deviation from an ideal. Corruption may include many activities including bribery and embezzlement. Government, or 'political', corruption occurs when an office-holder or other governmental employee acts in an official capacity for personal gain.)

It was just a sting, your dad got caught, pay the ticket and move on!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,794,610 times
I had an idiot police officer ( the most common kind) give me a ticket for not using a seat belt while driving my 1957 Plymouth Fury. Trouble is that car never had seat belts. The kangaroo court would not listen and it took a formal complaint and threat of lawsuit to get this matter resolved.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

It was just a sting, your dad got caught, pay the ticket and move on!
Apperently you don't read. He wasn't caught doing anything as he HAD his seat belt ON!!! Cops were clearly looking to pad their Xmas bonuses or something. All I have to say that if I was a pbc resident I wouldn't have any faith in the cops actually doing their job if they make up reasons to give out fake tickets.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 PM

355 posts, read 737,702 times
That is really awful. You can hire the "Ticket Clinic" or something similar to fight the case for you, I think it starts at $75, they are betting on the cop NOT showing up not so much defending your case. It is my experience they generally do NOT show up. The drivers and my family have gotten out of many tickets this way. I had one instance where the cop showed up and I had to pay court costs. That exceeded the original cost of the ticket.

Depending on how much the ticket it, you may want to just pay the ticket.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Apperently you don't read. He wasn't caught doing anything as he HAD his seat belt ON!!! Cops were clearly looking to pad their Xmas bonuses or something. All I have to say that if I was a pbc resident I wouldn't have any faith in the cops actually doing their job if they make up reasons to give out fake tickets.
I read better than you spell!

ok......I will give you the other side. The cops on the sting squad don't have to do anything, the tickets write themselves! I know several of the motorcycle deputies and when they set up it is for speeding or seatbelts. They get in good positions and let the violators come to them, often writing dozens of tickets per hour without having to "pad" anything. They don't get paid bonuses, they certainly aren't gaining financially from a $78 seat belt violation!

The glitch in your story is the violation was committed before the "pull over" so your description of "unbuckling for the wallet" simply isn't valid..............another conspiracy theory crushed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach