U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:24 PM

141 posts, read 266,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
OP one piece of advice I would give you that will save you thousands and headaches down the line. Make sure you have the very best home inspector you can afford. We had two and one was useless the other one was very knowledgable and even with all of that there were issues.

I would be looking for one in case you find a place you like especially if it a older home.
Thanks, yes we will be sure to do that. I've owned many homes and have found that inspectors that are hired by the agent just do a visual inspection on many things. For example, the roof is never truly looked at because they look at the roof from the ground. No ladder, nada.

I prefer to hire my own (which is costly at times) and split the price with the agent. In some homes we didn't have to do that, but down here, with all the rain and stuff - yeah, I'll get a good one. It'll cost, but hopefully it will be worth it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGators View Post
This is very interesting. I have always known that the sq footage numbers are kind of estimated and it is always best to check the property appraiser site. But I didn't realize this is a Florida thing only. I have never looked for real estate outside the state, so I assumed everyone kind of fudged the sq numbers.
I can't for sure that it's a Florida thing only, however it's never happened in any of the other states I have lived in. (12 different ones!)

But fudging the numbers by a THOUSAND square feet or more???? To me, that's unethical. Not so if everyone does it and it's called to the buyers attention, but the fact that a buyer is not told (even by their own realtor!) means that there is a disconnect somewhere in the real estate world in south Florida.

I am looking at million dollar homes and I am a bit perplexed that I AM the one doing all the work and that I AM the only honest one and darn it all, I HAVE to use one to get into the neighborhoods around here because most are guard gated. (It is really that dangerous around here?)

I'd love a knowledgeable realtor that has sold several homes in my price range (or at least are assisting buyers get into million dollar homes.) and has experience in selling at this price point.

Maybe my problem is that we aren't spending as much as many in PBG (or South Jupiter (Abacoa area) and perhaps we aren't worth it??? I have gone out with a realtor three times and have looked at about 15 homes. Apparently I am wearing my welcome out because all I hear, it WHEN am I going to buy??? Jez, I've spent 4 days with you and you're already tired????!!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,023,260 times
The MLS listing should explicitly separate out the "Living Sq. ft." (which is "under air") vs. "Total Square Feet" - which includes things like porches and garages in addition to "under air".

You can also independently verify square footage using the property appraiser website:

Property Appraiser, Palm Beach County, Florida, USA

Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The MLS listing should explicitly separate out the "Living Sq. ft." (which is "under air") vs. "Total Square Feet" - which includes things like porches and garages in addition to "under air".

You can also independently verify square footage using the property appraiser website:

Yes, I've been using the website (papa) and that is HOW I found out I was being lied to!

It's still dishonest and it's really unfortunate it's accepted.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,929,032 times
As Tri said there should be a sqft living and a sqft total. Palm Beach County realtors got a new MLS system a few months ago that sometimes reverses these numbers for some reason, and some realtors don't take the time to change it. If you are using a buyers agent they should easily be able to clarify this for you, if they aren't then you should probably find a new agent...
Sites like trulia, realtor.com, zillow don't always pick up in this either.
Are you working with an agent from a luxury company?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
As Tri said there should be a sqft living and a sqft total. Palm Beach County realtors got a new MLS system a few months ago that sometimes reverses these numbers for some reason, and some realtors don't take the time to change it. If you are using a buyers agent they should easily be able to clarify this for you, if they aren't then you should probably find a new agent...
The sheet I get from my realtor most times is accurate, however not always. Especially for PGA. It's quite the racket. Also, if you take a look at site like REDFIN you will see that the square footage is listed at the top. It's not separated until you get further down the list. And then again, many times it doesn't. It's worse on Realtor.com and Zillow, etc.
Here is one example: http://www.redfin.com/FL/Palm-Beach-.../home/42445632
It lists a house as 4254 square feet however it's truly 3142 square feet!

I am working with an agent from the local Illustrated Properties here on Fairway.

I hear you, let me tell you how angry I was that I had to figure this out for myself. I've bought a lot of homes before and I have never had this happen before except in PA where the public websites don't put the square footage in. I was told that in the North hills they are trying to change the way it's been done.

You can imagine our surprise to find out that all these homes we requested to see were clearly a thousand feet smaller than what is listed.

Some are just plain wrong. For example, this one lists it as over 4800 square feet, but after looking at it I knew it was not right, so I looked it up on pbc/papa and it's actually around 4200. Now for the kicker, on the first sheet I got on this house it had some crazy number like 5600 or something like that. It wasn't changed until I mentioned it to the realtor who is the listing agent. I mean, come on.. 16 Glencairn Rd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418 | MLS# RX-10029626 | Redfin

Last edited by WestPalmHereIcome; 05-20-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
I know about the new Flex system (I was a realtor in CA) and it has moved some things around.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 PM

193 posts, read 352,910 times
If you are buying a home anywhere in South Florida you need to verify the square footage at the local property appraisers website. The amount of incorrect living area square footage numbers listed on the MLS is incredibly high. Their appears to be no absolutely no guidelines whatsoever an agent is required to follow. You will see areas such as a covered or enclosed patio or porch being incorporated into the total living area number when they should not be. On the other hand the Property Appraisers numbers are generally right about 99% of the time. Due your due diligence like you have on this one.

As to this property here is what you do have. The total living area (under air) of this home is 4,294. The first floor has 2,747sf of living area while the second floor seems to have two separate living areas noted at 966sf and 581sf. The total square foot number of this home which includes the garage and porches adds up to 5,480. The key number is living area, do not let the total square footage through you off. As to the actual MLS it list the living area as 4,872sf which is just flat out wrong.

I would not accept the numbers on any of the sites listed like Redfin, Zillow etc. They are good to get general information and nice photographs but the key is the listings agent MLS then verifying the numbers on it with the county Property Appraisers office. Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie counties websites are easy to use. Broward County website is a train wreck and damn near impossible to determine the number except for those that have been at it for years.
By the way much the same happens with condos and it is worse as you have no sketches to review.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 AM

12,597 posts, read 14,768,120 times
I just looked on realtor.com, 33410 zip code and the 3 random houses I looked at all were based on the A/C sq footage not the total square footage like the OP claimed.

Punch in the address here, it will give you total sq ft, then click on structure detail and it will give you sq ft under a/c

Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM

522 posts, read 1,238,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPalmHereIcome View Post
Well, other than price, the other stuff is subjective.

Apparently PGA is the worst offender of this practice. EVERY. SINGLE. HOUSE. in PGA National is priced WAY out of line for the size. Not to mention the condition of the homes are in ****-poor condition. Seriously, I saw less expensive homes in very nice areas of LA that were priced better.

Are there NO honest realtors here in PBG????

In PGA you are paying a premium to be in a private golf community that does NOT require you join the membership. Show me another area anywhere in the entire PBG area that gives you this. Eastpointe? Nah old and in overall bad shape. Ironhorse? Yes if you want to smell the dump.

Why do you think prices in PGA are going up yet places like Ibis are lagging in sales? I once had your opinion that everything in PGA was overpriced, until I saw over the course of 8 months how many people were buying in there. You can't say an area is overpriced when there is a queue of buyers lining up looking to buy.

Also you said you are looking at 5000 sq/ft houses. Do you really need a house that size? I have a large house up north in Long Island and that's only 2400 square feet.

Also practically every listing on MLS is subject to buyer's validation, so check the facts yourself and don't go by the listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach