U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
 
63 posts, read 158,593 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Where is a good area to rent in Boca? We are probably going to do private school (Donna Klein). What are your overall feelings about Boca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2007, 05:58 PM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
3,857 posts, read 6,127,830 times
Reputation: 2519
Boca Raton is among the finest towns in the southeast Florida region, its rivals are, I suppose, towns in Broward like Weston and Parkland, some in northern Palm Beach County, perhaps Coral Gables and Pinecrest in Dade, but with a lower price tag. Do a search on Boca to bear out this general feeling.

About 90%-95% of Boca is a good area to rent. There are a spotty areas between Federal Highway and 95, also some in extreme southwest Boca.

Furthermore, now is a good time to rent because rates have been coming off a bit now that the housing bubble has burst, generally speaking.

"They" say that some public schools in Boca are better than private schools. This may indeed be the case, but I usually don't believe what "they" say. Good education begins at home.

Dispense with the education of the schools, Marcus Aurelius said, and have good masters at home instead.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 PM
 
3,369 posts, read 7,602,467 times
Reputation: 1590
Boca Raton is one of the most prestigious places to live in Florida. All of the schools are considered good there, and housing prices are fairly low for how low-crime and upscale the area is. You can buy a beautiful home in a great school district close to restaurants and shopping for well under $500,000 in many neighborhoods and that is a pretty good deal for coastal South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 20,542,638 times
Reputation: 2234
Although every thing is said that needs to be said, one thing you might want to note is that there is a particularly rapid increase in violent crime in Boca and south county that is outpacing towns in north county (as in Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens) or Broward (As in Weston or Cooper City). Some less "upscale" cities, like Coconut Creek and even Margate, are notably safer. That being said, you probably won't have any problems, and it's all and all South Florida's most attractive and family friendly coastal community. My biggest problem with the area is the pseudo-snobbish new money attitude around there that I imagine would be draining through day to day life.

Oh, and I definitely wouldn't put Boca on the same page as Weston or Parkland. More like Palm Beach Gardens or Coral Springs (more shopping+more cars and congestion, but still nice).

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-15-2007 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale
423 posts, read 1,052,815 times
Reputation: 82
In Boca (I am sure in all of FL) Pine Crest is the best private school. The area around the school is very nice and you have a wide variety of choice from nice single family to town houses to condos... I am sure you will do fine. Do let me know if you need any other info and I will try to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM
 
439 posts, read 1,052,536 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Although every thing is said that needs to be said, one thing you might want to note is that there is a particularly rapid increase in violent crime in Boca and south county that is outpacing towns in north county (as in Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens) or Broward (As in Weston or Cooper City). Some less "upscale" cities, like Coconut Creek and even Margate, are notably safer. That being said, you probably won't have any problems, and it's all and all South Florida's most attractive and family friendly coastal community. My biggest problem with the area is the pseudo-snobbish new money attitude around there that I imagine would be draining through day to day life.

Oh, and I definitely wouldn't put Boca on the same page as Weston or Parkland. More like Palm Beach Gardens or Coral Springs (more shopping+more cars and congestion, but still nice).
Most of the increase in crime has been in West Boca which might as well be a different city than East Boca which is closer to the coast where I live .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 07:51 AM
 
8,376 posts, read 20,542,638 times
Reputation: 2234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
Most of the increase in crime has been in West Boca which might as well be a different city than East Boca which is closer to the coast where I live .
A lot of the stickups and stuff are happening in the shopping centers in east Boca though, and weren't really happening in the past. Quite a few (unpublicized) ones in Mizner Park and Town Center from what my family up there tells me, as well as some of the more recent publicized incidents. Regardless, it wouldn't stop me from moving there as it's still a relatively safe and very beautiful city. My only real problem with Boca is the Glades Rd. dragstrip and that new money snob thing going on in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
 
63 posts, read 158,593 times
Reputation: 34
Default Boca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
In Boca (I am sure in all of FL) Pine Crest is the best private school. The area around the school is very nice and you have a wide variety of choice from nice single family to town houses to condos... I am sure you will do fine. Do let me know if you need any other info and I will try to help.

Thank you. We are thinking about starting in Boca because it is sort of central to where we are job hunting. I heard Pine Crest is a good school but very elitist and rigid. We will see. We are very intersted in Parkland and Wellington as well. We will explore the area for a year or two before we buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 12:56 PM
 
63 posts, read 158,593 times
Reputation: 34
Default Boca

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Although every thing is said that needs to be said, one thing you might want to note is that there is a particularly rapid increase in violent crime in Boca and south county that is outpacing towns in north county (as in Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens) or Broward (As in Weston or Cooper City). Some less "upscale" cities, like Coconut Creek and even Margate, are notably safer. That being said, you probably won't have any problems, and it's all and all South Florida's most attractive and family friendly coastal community. My biggest problem with the area is the pseudo-snobbish new money attitude around there that I imagine would be draining through day to day life.

Oh, and I definitely wouldn't put Boca on the same page as Weston or Parkland. More like Palm Beach Gardens or Coral Springs (more shopping+more cars and congestion, but still nice).
I hate the snobish new money attitude and this concerns me about Boca. I figure there are nice people everywhere-we will have to see. We will look into Parkland and Wellington as well. I have job interviews from Pembroke Pines, to Boca, to Boyton Beach, to Coral Springs, to U of Miami. The job will determine where we will ultimately live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 02:35 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 20,542,638 times
Reputation: 2234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallie View Post
I hate the snobish new money attitude and this concerns me about Boca. I figure there are nice people everywhere-we will have to see. We will look into Parkland and Wellington as well. I have job interviews from Pembroke Pines, to Boca, to Boyton Beach, to Coral Springs, to U of Miami. The job will determine where we will ultimately live.
Hmm, work in Pembroke Pines, live in Cooper City directly above. My personal #1 family choice in South Florida (for using public schools, and just about no snobbish attitude). Weston is a little further and more upscale, but it's less of a "Boca" factor, people are pretty classy and well educated being one of Florida's few communities where the majority of residents are college educated.
Work in Boynton Beach, live in the unincorporated parts west of Jog Rd. Less "new money", lots of burglary, but still generally safe, good public schools.
Work in Coral Springs, live in Parkland directly above.
Work at UM, live in Pinecrest. Charming, "old money", less "cookie cutter" part of Miami and surprisingly decent public schools and private schools in the area are among the best. For private schools the Gables is really nice too.
Work in Boca, live in Boca. It's mostly clean, and yes, you are right, there are certainly nice people everywhere. People on the west half seem a little less snobbish, although the east half is prettier. Central Boca has the best public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top