Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM

20 posts, read 73,457 times

Advertisements

I'd like a bit of honest advice from fellow S. Floridians. My husband, daughter and I moved to Palm Beach Gardens 6.5 years ago. My daughter is 7 now and in 2nd grade. I am seriously considering moving out of state (possible back to a suburb of Rochester NY) to raise my daughter going forward. Both my husband and I are employed here, so it would really mean starting over, but I haven't felt good about raising her here, as of late. I am having a touch time finding a good, middle class niche. Everyone seems very upper class or very lower class. I have decided to put my daughter in private school for k-8 but already hate that with that comes lots of entitled, bratty kid attitudes and parents that are not very involved. We do love the weather here and I wouldn't mind coming back after my daughter is through with schooling, but I feel the North is better to raise a child. I want her to make lifelong, lasting, genuine friendships and it just seems transient and a little fake here. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 01:31 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Well the middle class is disappearing at an alarming rate, so I'm not sure if what you seek will be anywhere in the near future? I think if education is important, go back to NY as the schools are much better, not just at the grade school level but at the post-secondary level. Over my past 20+ years in South Florida, I have seen how poor the education system is based on the quality of candidates which came into my firm, not 100% but surely higher than what you would expect in the Northeast or elsewhere or based on my experience with my co-workers in the Northeast and elsewhere.

Majority here were native Floridians who were educated here straight through university system, that does not say too much.

People are fake here, very pretentious and competitive. I hear from many that they have a tough time making friends and good ones, I have experienced a little of both but my circle and work tends to warrant a lot of conversations so it's not so bad for me.

Also one thing I have noticed here more so than other places, a lot of 20 somethings who live with their parents, many have addiction problems and are in and out of rehab a lot. I know of a handful of people who have kids in their 20's, a couple overdosed and died, several never went to school, cannot hold a job and have been arrested several times for drugs or DUI. Not just saying it's here, as this happens all over, but I do not hear stories like this so much with people I know in other areas of the country. Keep in mind many of these kids were spoiled and came from very wealthy households.

If education is priority #1, I would move ASAP. Also based on what your daughter want's to do for a living...to early to tell or know, can and will she be able to land a high paying job here to support herself after college or will she have to leave? Brain drain is a big problem in South Florida, many graduates leave for greener pastures.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:55 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Someone had a thread like this a while ago and they were looking at Denver, Colorado as a nice place to move but honestly I really don't see the difference between PBC county and other counties. Let me take back what I just said regarding differences. South Florida in particular is home to one of largest immigrant populations in the country so you do get a fair share of poorer folks. I see what your saying and the choice is yours as of rather or not you want to raise your daughter in this type of environment. Maybe you should look at other areas of Florida first. Tons of families move here every year looking for a change some love it and some don't. It is all perspective so in your opinion you don't think it is a good place to raise your kids then by all means start looking somewhere that is comfortable for your family. May I ask what community are you currently living in ?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 AM

20 posts, read 73,457 times
Thank you both for your responses. I am quite pleased with the school my daughter attends and would be attending through 8th grade, but I am petrified of what comes once she would be moving onto high school. I don't want to spend $22k per year on high school, nor do I want her attending the local public school. Even more frightening for me is if she decides to attend a FL state college. I want her to experience something different. We are currently living in Crystal Pointe in Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
You may also want to look into some of the School Choice programs offered by the Palm Beach district. There are several strong academic tracks offered, including IB, Law, business, pre-med, and the arts, and no private school price tag. I know this is a long way off for you and there are other factors, but just thought you might want to know these options are available.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Palm Beach Gardens is one of the nicest little towns in all of south FL. I've been there. It's quite clean and very nice IMO.

Maybe send her to a Catholic high school after 8th grade. They're a little more affordable than a full-on private, but prob better than a public school?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:50 PM

230 posts, read 388,180 times
Hmm...your story resonates with me on several levels.

First...I attended private school p-6 (Benjamin School, then known as North Palm Beach Private). At the time (late 60's / early 70's) it was a mix of seriously wealthy kids, and very smart children of more modest parents (no idea what goes on there today). I grew up not really understanding that I was surrounded by rich kids, so by and large I would expect that not to occur to your daughter, either. The fallout you will need to deal with would include not allowing bratty kids' demeanors not to rub off on her, and to learn how to appropriately field questions like "Why can't we have a boat/pool/beach house too?" or "Why do the So-and-so's drive a BMW and all we have is a Ford?" That falls to parenting skills.

Palm Beach County Schools may not be the best in the nation, but if you are zoned for better schools and stay involved in your child's education she will be quite capable of getting a good education. Again, it falls to parenting, zoning, and yes, a little luck.

As far as an environment to raise a child...obviously many will disagree with your assessment of Florida's societal culture, but you will also find many *former* Floridians who do agree. We left the area for many reasons, environment for raising a child being one of them (but not the major one). Up to you to decide if it's a strong enough driver for you...

Old 12-09-2014, 03:27 PM

555 posts, read 892,189 times
I left Florida for Ohio as a young woman and have been here for thirty years. In our rural area, I would not recommend the schools, but some towns have excellent public schools. My sense of the state (having also spent time in Toledo and having relatives in a variety of places) is that finding down-to-earth folks who value people over "stuff" is easier than it was in Florida. (Of course, I left long ago, and things may have changed, and I may have been living in an odd area, and my granddaughters' high school in Centerville hosts its share of shallow twits.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach