Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 9,390 times

Advertisements

Oh the joys of life...

I'll be moving to the Boca area in mid April of this year, 8 months pregnant. Obviously, I won't be working... I'll have saved for most part of the year - so the security deposit, first and last months rent won't be a problem, nor will not working for 4-6 weeks. I plan to look for work the second my son is born, and if I find something sooner than planned, so be it... I will also qualify for unemployment - so between that and the fact that I do have enough savings to get me through a few months unemployed, I wasn't too worried about surviving until I found work.

However... However, I've contacted multiple apartment communities and I'm just constantly hearing '3 times the monthly rent' even on a one bedroom $1,000 rent, that's $3,000... never in my life have I made out $3,000 a month after taxes... if I was living with someone else, a combined income - SURE... but goodness...

I suppose I'm just trying to find other options - does anyone know of any? If I made $2,000 a month, and paid rent, and had $800 left over for bills and food - that's living comfortably for me... it's driving me crazy that they want $3,000...

Does anyone know how the salaries vary in this area compared to other parts of the country? Should the pay be more, I suppose it makes sense... but 10 years into my field, I make $41,000 a year... after taxes, not $3k... before? SURE! But, I also will be leaving this job a few days before my move... so, there's also that.

Gah, the world doesn't make this easy, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Boca is full of $30,000 millionaires (folks that make 30K but act like millionaires). Lots of folks reinventing themselves from "up north" so the apartment communities are just looking to weed out those that might be future evictions. Also you didn't mention your child care plan once you go back to work.....hint: "it is expensive too!"

Congrats on your son and your move and good luck!

Old 01-12-2015, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 9,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Boca is full of $30,000 millionaires (folks that make 30K but act like millionaires). Lots of folks reinventing themselves from "up north" so the apartment communities are just looking to weed out those that might be future evictions. Also you didn't mention your child care plan once you go back to work.....hint: "it is expensive too!"

Congrats on your son and your move and good luck!
Ohhhh I figured that one out too! Haha, I've been doing some research for a few months. My sons father lives in Boca - and ideally, we will live separately - but it's seeming like that isn't going to be possible. We'll just pray we both make it out alive lol.

I looked into Childcare assistance through the state, the maximum you can make is $23k a year for a TWO person household... that's less than $6 per hour full time... who the hell? Gah... the system doesn't want to help those who want to succeed I'm convinced... However, his mother and sister are local, and they will be of a huge help!

Thank you!!!

Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Maybe you should choose a less expensive place to live, since you're obviously not being transferred for business...you can live near your son's father but not have to live right in town...

Old 01-12-2015, 06:40 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Of course out of all Places Boca is the last place I would look if I was you because its really expensive why don't you look at Palm Beach Gardens for a cheaper area. Also maybe this site would help https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx

Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Everyone thinks Boca is SO much more expensive than nearby communities and it is simply not true.

It is extremely likely you'll have to pay first/last/security to rent a place... unless you rent in an over priced apt complex.

It's true you need to prove that you make whatever the complex is asking for.. it's usually 3X the rent.
Most complexes also require that you get renters insurance.. that can be around $250 or more/year.
FPL (electric) will require a few hundred dollars for a deposit before they'll turn on your power.

Not having a job when you get here will be a huge issue.

Whatever you're making up north - do NOT expect to make the same or similar down here.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but don't move down here on a wish and a hope.

You need lots of cash to get yourself established...

Old 01-13-2015, 12:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Not having a job when you get here will be a huge issue.
THIS.

Regardless of what the labor laws say, when you do get an interview, when you mention that you just had a baby, you will go to the bottom of the pile for that employer. No matter how responsible you are and plan to be, all they will think is "she'll be constantly calling in about child care issues or a sick baby or not getting any sleep". Being a brand new employee anywhere is difficult and demands higher attention than once you get settled in, and they know that your mind will always be on your baby for awhile.

I hope you have a back-up plan. You seem to imagine that you'll find a job within 4-6 weeks, and that's difficult even for people who are already established somewhere, without a newborn baby disrupting their routine in ways you can't even imagine yet.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 PM

154 posts, read 388,739 times
one thing next to the three months rent its not cheap to live in paradise! that said did you see what auto Insurance is? Cost of living is high! one thing too is Unemployment is tough to get or keep, Florida paid too many too many years to work on their tan NO MORE!
That said Id stay put get thru your pregnancy, if not married get support set up before you plan any moves its a hard market here, lots of schools are not the best , daycare expensive and hard to do it solo. I wish you the best but stop and re think it ! it may help you stop some major heart break unless MOM & POP can help you out for a while? Good luck god bless,

Old 01-13-2015, 12:37 PM

154 posts, read 388,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dive77mmwet View Post
one thing next to the three months rent its not cheap to live in paradise! that said did you see what auto Insurance is? Cost of living is high! one thing too is Unemployment is tough to get or keep, Florida paid too many too many years to work on their tan NO MORE!
That said Id stay put get thru your pregnancy, if not married get support set up before you plan any moves its a hard market here, lots of schools are not the best , daycare expensive and hard to do it solo. I wish you the best but stop and re think it ! it may help you stop some major heart break unless MOM & POP can help you out for a while? Good luck god bless,
last you will take a major pay cut too! skilled labor is low pay here too many in the labor pool force wages to be non par with other areas, unless your young & cute and can flip drinks, serve food be cut throat with staff as young gal I know whom cleans condos & Apartments & homes for me part time makes /clears after tax hold on tips $350 + on a average weekend night of course snow bird season and at a popular spot with great location and one mistake and she knows it she's gone! Just last week a group of NE jerks did a dine & dash on her and the owner a real beauty makes all the staff responsible for drawers not coming out! thank god I was at the bar shortly after and my self and one other guy ponied up the $168 tab as she's a single mom of 2 young ones and works real hard to make it down here!

Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dive77mmwet View Post
last you will take a major pay cut too! skilled labor is low pay here too many in the labor pool force wages to be non par with other areas, unless your young & cute and can flip drinks, serve food be cut throat with staff as young gal I know whom cleans condos & Apartments & homes for me part time makes /clears after tax hold on tips $350 + on a average weekend night of course snow bird season and at a popular spot with great location and one mistake and she knows it she's gone! Just last week a group of NE jerks did a dine & dash on her and the owner a real beauty makes all the staff responsible for drawers not coming out! thank god I was at the bar shortly after and my self and one other guy ponied up the $168 tab as she's a single mom of 2 young ones and works real hard to make it down here!
It's a violation of federal law to require employees to pay for bills run out on or register shortages. The Dept of Labor would like to hear from the waitress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach