Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,873 times

Advertisements

We have 2 school aged children (elementary and middle school) and may be relocating to Boca Raton by the end of the summer. We lived in South Florida before (pre-children) so we are generally familiar with the area. We definitely want to live either in Central Boca or East Boca - easy access to beaches, interstate, shopping/retail, beaches, and work (but having a house with direct water access is not important or necessarily desired by us). We are looking in the $1.3-$1.5 M range.
Factors:
1) We only want to look in the Spanish River High and Boca Community High school districts. We may send our children to private schools but we would like a good public school option.
2) We only want to buy in Central or East Boca (no West Boca).

It seems like there are plenty of upscale gated communities in our price range (e.g., Seasons, Azure, Les Jardins, Woodfield, etc.).

I am a little concerned about crime in the non-gated communities, but really like Boca East Estates (there is an unmanned gate) and Old Floresta and those neighborhoods feed into Boca Community High, which is appealing.

The amenities (e.g., golf, tennis, club facility, etc.) associated with all the HOA fees are not that important to us, but we don't might buying a house that requires membership or have a higher HOA.

Is there really a sense of community in the upscale gated communities, which are mostly located in Central Boca? In other words, if we are really not about the amenities, would we be better off in East Boca? Also, how prevalent is crime in some of the East Boca neighborhoods. I could understand that the manned gates serve as a deterrent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 01:51 PM

536 posts, read 844,941 times
Hello, cindy,
Old Floresta has a lot more charm than newer gated complexes in Boca, but I prefer older to newer houses, having grown up in New England. It's all about what you need and like.

I rented in Central Boca before buying a house on the blocks across Palmetto Park Road immediate across from Old Floresta. I wouldn't buy along PP Road as I had a friend who had a house on Allamanda and there were traffic accidents rather often. In the innards of Old Floresta there are a lot of charming family houses, though.

I wouldn't buy in Central Boca Raton because of the traffic and the clogged roads getting into and out of supermarkets, restaurants, etc.

That's a nice budget for Boca Raton; I am sure you'll find something you like. For storm surge, buy west of 4th Avenue; it is on a slight ridge that I think is the highest point in Boca. Old Floresta is about a mile west of 4th.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,835 times
I personally like East Boca, and do not live in a gated community. I think East Boca is very safe. Never had an issue and hardly ever hear or read about much crime. Of course, living in a gated community might be safer, but I never liked those places.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindymorgankim View Post
We have 2 school aged children (elementary and middle school) and may be relocating to Boca Raton by the end of the summer. We lived in South Florida before (pre-children) so we are generally familiar with the area. We definitely want to live either in Central Boca or East Boca - easy access to beaches, interstate, shopping/retail, beaches, and work (but having a house with direct water access is not important or necessarily desired by us). We are looking in the $1.3-$1.5 M range.
Factors:
1) We only want to look in the Spanish River High and Boca Community High school districts. We may send our children to private schools but we would like a good public school option.
2) We only want to buy in Central or East Boca (no West Boca).

It seems like there are plenty of upscale gated communities in our price range (e.g., Seasons, Azure, Les Jardins, Woodfield, etc.).

I am a little concerned about crime in the non-gated communities, but really like Boca East Estates (there is an unmanned gate) and Old Floresta and those neighborhoods feed into Boca Community High, which is appealing.

The amenities (e.g., golf, tennis, club facility, etc.) associated with all the HOA fees are not that important to us, but we don't might buying a house that requires membership or have a higher HOA.

Is there really a sense of community in the upscale gated communities, which are mostly located in Central Boca? In other words, if we are really not about the amenities, would we be better off in East Boca? Also, how prevalent is crime in some of the East Boca neighborhoods. I could understand that the manned gates serve as a deterrent.

6718 Newport Lake Circle, Boca Raton FL JUST CAME ON THE MARKET.

4bed, 3.5 bath, 4100 sq ft, three car garage, 0.43 acre lot with large fenced in side yard and pool.

Built in 1990 it has huge potential as a fixer upper and currently listed at 699k.

It's located in Newport Bay Club. This is a non equity 24 hr manned guard gated community in east Boca off of jog road in between Clint Moore and Linton Blvd.

The elementary, middle and high schools are all A+++ rated to include Morikami Elementary, Omni Middle and Spanish River. They are all less than 5 miles away.

6718 Newport Lake Cir, Boca Raton, FL 33496 | MLS #F1375813 | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach