Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 03:10 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times

Advertisements

Thanks THX,

8% !

Not a good idea. Business would suffer and the overall objective of raising more $ for Fire/Rescue would be defeated IMO.

The main purpose of my thread was to generate IDEAS on the "why" PB was not growing like other areas.

True, there are A LOT of shady areas in RB, but once you get over the bridge, you're on Singer Island opulence. The contrast between the haves and have-nots just seems to be more stark to me...!

I see a few new RE projects going on in DOWNTOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 06:36 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
I don't like any tax increase although I'd rather see it spread across on a sales tax than property tax. Property owners pay their share already. Stores run sales that would offset the tax if you shop wisely.I'm sure non property owners disagree with me,lol. Boca Raton has done a pretty good job of belt tightening in the last few years,the county needs to also.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:20 PM

573 posts, read 260,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
I don't like any tax increase although I'd rather see it spread across on a sales tax than property tax. Property owners pay their share already. Stores run sales that would offset the tax if you shop wisely.I'm sure non property owners disagree with me,lol. Boca Raton has done a pretty good job of belt tightening in the last few years,the county needs to also.
Personally. What i see are retail stores struggling to pay the rent. If you put any more weight on them surely they will go under. As a consumer I would certainly shop online for any goods that I need to be shipped right to my door and pay less.

In my opinion, this is only another tax to fund unneeded an unwanted government services to fund outrageous retirement pensions funds of public workers.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post

In my opinion, this is only another tax to fund unneeded an unwanted government services to fund outrageous retirement pensions funds of public workers.
Fire Rescue Employees make above average wages, to start it's around $80K/year without factoring in OT. I know people who work for PBFR who make in excess of $125K/year + upwards of $15K extra OT.

I also know people who work for PBC, Director Level jobs, no college education pulling in over $110K/year, salaries are public so it's easy to look them up online.

That's only the tip of the iceberg when you look what county employees make on average, some higher level positions are even more outrageous. These are the people who are doing good for themselves here. Not one of them I know is struggling, own huge homes and live in gates communities.

Look at the requirements for PBFR, no Bachelors or Masters Required, not that it's easy to get in but compensation is way above the norm.

What requirements do I need to meet in order to apply for a job at Palm Beach County Fire Rescue?

be at least 18 years of age,
have a high school diploma or GED,
hold at least Florida certification as a State of Florida Firefighter through the Firefighter Minimum Standards Training,
have passed an IAFF-CPAT within the last year, and
hold a valid EMT or Paramedic license with the state of Florida

Old 02-23-2016, 06:58 AM

573 posts, read 260,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Fire Rescue Employees make above average wages, to start it's around $80K/year without factoring in OT. I know people who work for PBFR who make in excess of $125K/year + upwards of $15K extra OT.

I also know people who work for PBC, Director Level jobs, no college education pulling in over $110K/year, salaries are public so it's easy to look them up online.

That's only the tip of the iceberg when you look what county employees make on average, some higher level positions are even more outrageous. These are the people who are doing good for themselves here. Not one of them I know is struggling, own huge homes and live in gates communities.

Look at the requirements for PBFR, no Bachelors or Masters Required, not that it's easy to get in but compensation is way above the norm.

What requirements do I need to meet in order to apply for a job at Palm Beach County Fire Rescue?

be at least 18 years of age,
have a high school diploma or GED,
hold at least Florida certification as a State of Florida Firefighter through the Firefighter Minimum Standards Training,
have passed an IAFF-CPAT within the last year, and
hold a valid EMT or Paramedic license with the state of Florida
What a disgrace! Most coming out college with a ba struggle to get a job that pays 40k.

Not to mention the over funded pensions. The condition of this country is not good. This is happening all over the union because of lobbying and weak politicians.

90% of all fire rescue calls r to retirement comm., or "the hood" where some one has gotten shot. Or a cat is stuck in the in a tree.

This trend of gov.workers feeding off the public trouf will Break this country. Busted pensions, higher taxes, small businesses busted, fewer competitors, little services, higher costs for services, ----not a pretty picture at all.

The disgrace is THEIR LOBBY is conning the public and local officials to vote for more$ to feed the system.

Who will pay for this??? Seniors on fixed incomes? Small mom/pop businesses w 1-2 employees?

The boomers?

Your looking at neg.interest rates because the economy is so slow, banks cant even make biz. Loans to small biz because they arent making enough $.

Local gov. Raising sales tax?

Some self-serving gov. Union hired lobbyist to proliferated this scam.

Last edited by The First; 02-23-2016 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
What a disgrace! Most coming out college with a ba struggle to get a job that pays 40k.

Not to mention the over funded pensions. The condition of this country is not good. This is happening all over the union because of lobbying and weak politicians.

90% of all fire rescue calls r to retirement comm., or "the hood" where some one has gotten shot. Or a cat is stuck in the in a tree.

This trend of gov.workers feeding off the public trouf will Break this country. Busted pensions, higher taxes, small businesses busted, fewer competitors, little services, higher costs for services, ----not a pretty picture at all.

The disgrace is THEIR LOBBY is conning the public and local officials to vote for more$ to feed the system.

Who will pay for this??? Seniors on fixed incomes? Small mom/pop businesses w 1-2 employees?

The boomers?

Your looking at neg.interest rates because the economy is so slow, banks cant even make biz. Loans to small biz because they arent making enough $.

Local gov. Raising sales tax?

Some self-serving gov. Union hired lobbyist to proliferated this scam.
Yes and most out of college accrue student loan debt they cannot pay back...just depends what field you are in it can be worse or better.

I should say the starting Salary is $42,117.50, but the median is around $80K across the department, well it was a number of years ago.

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue - Firefighter Benefits (Career Development)

This info is dated, but you can see what County Workers Earn, gross wages + OT, many if not all got raises so figure in salary.

PALM BEACH COUNTY PAY

This one is newer:

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-pa...e-100k-or-more

Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
why? simple..

More and more ghetto thugs waste of life spreading like a virus that nobody in their right mind would live around. Infecting all of Florida beyond repair unless you round them up and ship them to another state.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
why? simple..

More and more ghetto thugs waste of life spreading like a virus that nobody in their right mind would live around. Infecting all of Florida beyond repair unless you round them up and ship them to another state.
True, but this is happening all over the USA.

If you can build a high enough fence then you can live in the Jungle.

POINT BEING: Palm beach county is poised for growth, just not sure how much and how fast it will happen.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post

POINT BEING: Palm beach county is poised for growth, just not sure how much and how fast it will happen.
Growth of jobs, not so much...growth of people who do not need to work, guaranteed.

Traffic woes, guaranteed...traffic is getting progressively worse here each year, one scene of construction in PBC, is the new I-95 interchange at FAU which is a few years away from being completed. It will not help alleve traffic in Boca though, which is relentless and heavy no matter what road you take.

They already predicted some roadways in PBC will be gridlocked in time, commute times are already becoming longer.

Can Palm Beach County have growth without gridlock? Two math problems. | The Opinion Zone

Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Growth of jobs, not so much...growth of people who do not need to work, guaranteed.

Traffic woes, guaranteed...traffic is getting progressively worse here each year, one scene of construction in PBC, is the new I-95 interchange at FAU which is a few years away from being completed. It will not help alleve traffic in Boca though, which is relentless and heavy no matter what road you take.

They already predicted some roadways in PBC will be gridlocked in time, commute times are already becoming longer.

Can Palm Beach County have growth without gridlock? Two math problems. | The Opinion Zone
I lived in Boca for many years until recently when I took a job in Miami and let me tell you...Boca traffic is NOTHING compared to Miami traffic. I would beg for traffic in Miami to be like Boca. I really dont think traffic in Boca is "relentless" and heavy. lol. It's pretty tame. Yes, it's heavy at rush hour on glades rd, but I mean that's it IMO. Yamato traffic is never bad. Palmetto Park Rd isn't bad either. I dont find military or powerline to be over congested either. Camino? No problem.... where in Boca is traffic so bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach