Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:20 AM

125 posts, read 197,786 times

Advertisements

We are moving back to Boca this June. We want to install a mosquito auto spray system in the new backyard. Any experience on whether this installation actually works or not? Big waste of money or a lifesaver?...

Thanks for sharing any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 AM

With no responses, should I assume no one in the Boca,Delray Beach or Boynton Beach areas has had any experience with the automatic spray systems? So, are mosquitos not a problem?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
I've never even heard of a continuous spraying system. I don't have that many issues with mosquitos. Stay close to coast and keep standing water (even small amounts) dumped out in your yard. The further inland you go, the worse they are.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:20 PM

499 posts, read 585,931 times
I live in that area (actually slightly Northwest of there on the Wellington/Lake Worth border). We don't have any issues with mosquitoes either. We have a backyard pool/ hot tub/ patio area with a large screened enclosure where we spend 90% of our time. We avoid taking walks or riding bikes at sunset (when they're more active) or after rain storms and eliminate any areas of standing water. We also dress appropriately and use bug spray when necessary and hardly ever get bitten. Honestly, I would consider a physical barrier (like a screened enclosure) and prevention methods before I would spend money on an automatic spray system.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfMomTN View Post
We are moving back to Boca this June. We want to install a mosquito auto spray system in the new backyard. Any experience on whether this installation actually works or not? Big waste of money or a lifesaver?...

Thanks for sharing any thoughts.
Ur leaving Brentwood TN to move back to Boca? Interesting. Job transfer?

Old 05-10-2016, 09:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Why would you want to continually spray your yard with toxic poison??

Old 05-10-2016, 12:58 PM

Yes - we are moving back to lovely Boca. My husband received an "offer he couldn't refuse" so we will be returning in June.

Yes, everyone else is moving to Nashville but we are headed back to Boca - go figure! But if you don't fish or hunt, conversation can become quite dull around the water machine.

And I don't want to spray with toxic poison - I have been reading about the all natural oils and other natural products that repel mosquitoes. I don't like pesticides so I won't be using them in my spray system if we install it.

And we are considering a screen around the patio area but it is a very high ceiling on the overhang and I do like the pool to be open to the air. We are also exploring building a lanai with electronic drop down screen sides. And we just saw an interesting screen covered room for sale at Costco.

Regardless, I don't want mosquitoes eating off of me while I garden or sit outside having dinner by the grill. Just a personal preference.

So, before we spend the money I am hoping to be informed as to the costs and effectiveness of the spray systems. It is similar to what you see in Las Vegas which provides cooling spray mists - but this system has the repellent in the mist. The flexible piping can be placed along a fence line or along a eave to repel the mosquitoes from entering and staying in the yard.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:31 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Mosquitoes will go over or around the spray and as soon as it shuts off they will fill the area. You might be better off using a screened cage.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfMomTN View Post
Yes - we are moving back to lovely Boca. My husband received an "offer he couldn't refuse" so we will be returning in June.

Yes, everyone else is moving to Nashville but we are headed back to Boca - go figure! But if you don't fish or hunt, conversation can become quite dull around the water machine.

And I don't want to spray with toxic poison - I have been reading about the all natural oils and other natural products that repel mosquitoes. I don't like pesticides so I won't be using them in my spray system if we install it.

And we are considering a screen around the patio area but it is a very high ceiling on the overhang and I do like the pool to be open to the air. We are also exploring building a lanai with electronic drop down screen sides. And we just saw an interesting screen covered room for sale at Costco.

Regardless, I don't want mosquitoes eating off of me while I garden or sit outside having dinner by the grill. Just a personal preference.

So, before we spend the money I am hoping to be informed as to the costs and effectiveness of the spray systems. It is similar to what you see in Las Vegas which provides cooling spray mists - but this system has the repellent in the mist. The flexible piping can be placed along a fence line or along a eave to repel the mosquitoes from entering and staying in the yard.
Well....good luck.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 AM

Thanks FLHFan for the info. That is part of my concern that the system is of limited value or stops working once the spray cuts off.

StreetSmarts, you added nothing to the topic in your two responses I do not need luck nor did I need to be quizzed on the reasoning for our return to Boca. But I would have appreciated some insights if you had any on the topic posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach