U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:15 AM
NRL

1 posts, read 1,608 times

Advertisements

Wellington is also a nice area to reaide in Palm Beach County but its on the Westside closer to Turnpike and st rd 7. Grade A school, close to Polo Club, fine dining, golf and tennis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:58 AM

23 posts, read 26,997 times
Lightbulb Next Week: Boca, WPB, Delray, Ft Lauderdale.

Thank you all for replying to my post. I have been reading each of your responses very carefully and, under that premise, I just came down to a few options that I will share with you guys, I would love to hear feedback from you.

Let me give you a brief summary of my case for those who are new to the thread:
We are a gay couple relocating to Florida because of work. We have lived in Chicago, Minneapolis and Milwauke and now changing territory to Palm Beach County . I am in my twenties and my husband is in his 40s.

We are going to Palm Beach County this upcoming week and have the following options:

1. Boca Raton:

a) San Marco at Broken Sound - 5555 N Military Trl, Boca Raton, FL 33496
b) Bell Boca Town Center - 5881 Town Bay Dr, Boca Raton, FL 33486
c) Camino Real Apartments - 33 E Camino Real, Boca Raton, FL 33432
d) Gables Town Place
e)Mizner Court At Broken Sound
f) And some options in Sandalfoot Cove Area and Boca del Mar ( areas which are not nice from what I have heard.

2. Delray Beach:

a) Atlantico at Tuscany ( based on a recommendation by ByeByeLW) - 8085 Tumblestone Ct, Delray Beach, FL 33446
b) Villas del Este - 125 Via D Este, Delray Beach, FL 33445
c)The atlantic at East Delray - 650 Lavers Circle, Delray Beach, FL 33444
d) DelrayVerana

3. West Palm Beach

a)5200 N Flagler by Cityplace
b)1801 S Flagler by CityPlace

4. Ft Lauderdale by Wilton Manors.

I want to stay as close to the beach as possible&affordable, so under that premise, I decided not to pursue Wellington. I am still thinking about Jupiter, PBGardens or even Boyton Beach.

If anyone knows anything negative about these options, please let me know. Furthermore,
if you have any other good recommendation I will receive them gratefully.

Thank you guys!

Old 09-05-2016, 03:48 PM

Lightbulb Boca, Delray, West Palm Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherFigs View Post
Yes, there are streets that crossover 95 with both the ability to walk or ride your bike. I would not be concerned. Living next to the train is obviously louder than not, but it depends where you are in relation to the track as well as in relation to the station as well. If you find a place nearby my suggestion is to sit one day and wait to for the train to go by to actually hear it for yourself. No one's description will ever clearly depict the noise level as you hearing it for yourself. It's worth finding out what is acceptable to you before rather than after a decision is made.

I live near the Boca Town Center and we love it. Close to the mall, 10 minutes to bike trails if that is a preference. Not too far of a drive to Delray - Atlantic Ave, or even West Palm, if you're heading North, Fort Laud or even Miami if you're heading south.

I don't think you will go wrong with Boca or Delray to be honest. In my opinion, I would stay West of 95, but again, just my experience.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Oh missed the part about the train.

There's the TriRail (by 95) and there is the freight line (parallel to Dixie Hwy). Stay far, far away from the freight line. It blows its horn at every intersection. Train is 50+ cars long. It shakes the house, seriously. Awful, awful, awful. Stay away. Have no experience with the TriRail though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Yes I'm not sure why so many diss West Palm. I enjoy going there.

My first choice would be the Mizner Park apartments. The problem is that. unless something has changed in the last two years, there are really bad structural issues there.

A friend of mine couldn't wait to get out of there . He said the place was falling apart.

Perhaps this was only in certain buildings of the complex.

I am not familiar with the Camino Real apartments but you can't go wrong in that area if the complex is okay.

I remember when The Atlantic was The Vinings. I remember thinking Blech! Yes, Blech!
Apparently the remodeling job they've done is lovely. It would be quieter than Mizner Park, of course.

You can walk to the usual chain stores - Trader Joe's, Publix and just about any chain restaurant you can think of.
And the beach.

Miner Park and downtown Boca are more interesting.
Who cares if there are some snobby people there.

There are unique restaurants and small galleries as well as the Boca Museum of Art. And the Ampitheater. Depends how much you like being able to walk to those things.

So maybe research whatever structural issues.

The Atlantic backs up to another complex that was once Laver's Raquet Club. I don't remember what it's called now. I was surprised at the rents they get for The Atlantic. Otherwise I haven't heard anything bad. I would have to ask the mail person on Monday

Some friends live in a brand new rental complex that is part of Tuscany in West Delray. The prices are reasonable and it is very nice there. It is called Atlantico at Tuscany. It is off of Atlantic Ave close to the turnpike. Straight shot east to downtown Delray and the beach.

You can walk to a brand new plaza right in front of the complex. You can also walk to another larger upscale plaza with Publux, restaurants and Frank's Movie Theater. That area is beginning to take off. There are some upscale single family communities (7 Bridges is one) driving the growth.

This probably won't impact you in any way but I'll mention it for the heck of it. On the other side of Linton there is an apartment complex that is actually a halfway house/ rehab type place. You can google Delray's heroin problem.

There are a lot of rehab people and lots of used needles hanging around many rentals in Delray.

Nothing to be paranoid about. Just keep it in mind.
Quote:
Oh, Boca is putting in more bike trails. Check out the El Rio Trail. There is a site that discusses how the trails in Boca connect through the parks etc but I can't remember the name of it. That's another thing Boca has over Delray.

I believe they're arranging it so you wouldn't have to cross the road or something.

Another bike trail is the T-Rex Yrail. It's going to be closed for a bit for construction.
The other day we hiked the Yamato Scrub Natural Area (very cool place) and there is a tunnel under Clint Moore Road.

There is DeHoernle Park with a bike trail as well.

Even if you don't want to join a meetup group you can learn a lot from the postings the various biking/activity groups post in terms of how to get around.

There must be some kind of site about biking around Boca.

There is also a recent thread on here about apartments in downtown West Palm.

Heck, you wouldn't be living on Tamarind so don't cross off West Palm!!

There's CityPlace, Clematis, cool restaurants, antique stores, small galleries, the Palm Beach Photigraphic Center, and the world-class Norton Museum.
Quote:
My take on Boca and people who don't Boca love is that they have either never been there ... OR that they have lived there and watched it expand ... and expand ... and expand. It is very crowded. Severely so, IMO. If you are OK with that, then great. People who love love love it? Are usually snowbirds who don;t have to work, or transplants from Northern states who are used to the congestion and the waiting and the rudeness. I lived there 8 years, east and west Boca, and it was just too much. Too many people, too much traffic, waiting 2 hours for dinner during season because of all the snowbirds.

One thing to be aware of is that the Boca and Delray stretch from the Everglades to the ocean. You will not be 10 minutes from the beach in all areas of these towns. It may take a good 35 minutes to get to the beach. Everyone always thinks, hey you're so close to the beach, you live in Boca/Delray! Um, no. Someone mentioned Atlantic Ave and 441. Take a look at a map. It may be a straight shot, but it's a good 20 minute drive (minimum).

Linton and Dixie is a sketchy area. And it is right next to the freight trains. Do not sign anything until you can see the area and condo in person. I know a family that relocated and ended up in a not-so-nice (I'm saying that nicely) condo complex. The husband did it over phone/internet they never saw the place in person. They broke the lease as soon as they were able to get out of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
My vote goes for East Boca or East Delray. YEs they are pricier, but both are really nice, clean and safe. I think Boca is less touristy, even though you have the Waldorf Astoria (Boca Resort) but it's just more of a real town. The village of Delray, is great but it just seems more touristy/attracts hordes of people on the weekends.

Downtown Boca is going through a development boom, with several large condo developments almost built. The city has tried for years to develop Palmetto Park Raod into a more pedestrian friendly area in the likes of Delray. East Boca is attracting a lot more younger people and is very gay friendly. A lot of gay couples live in Boca.

Also think of East Boca anywhere from 95 to the beach. The mall area is nice, but a little more suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaverso View Post
I agree downtown Boca is definitely going through a "boom" with no end in sight, at the moment. There are many proposed projects that are going to really change how downtown looks. As far as the parking goes, hopefully there will be more options available when all these new buildings open. The only reason I head down that way right now is for Mizner Park and usually parking isn't terrible and there is always valet service available if I can't find something on my own.

Thank you all for replying to my post. I have been reading each of your responses very carefully and, under that premise, I just came down to a few options that I will share with you guys, I would love to hear feedback from you.

Let me give you a brief summary of my case for those who are new to the thread:
We are a gay couple relocating to Florida because of work. We have lived in Chicago, Minneapolis and Milwauke and now changing territory to Palm Beach County . I am in my twenties and my husband is in his 40s.

We are going to Palm Beach County this upcoming week and have the following options:

1. Boca Raton:

a) San Marco at Broken Sound - 5555 N Military Trl, Boca Raton, FL 33496
b) Bell Boca Town Center - 5881 Town Bay Dr, Boca Raton, FL 33486
c) Camino Real Apartments - 33 E Camino Real, Boca Raton, FL 33432
d) Gables Town Place
e)Mizner Court At Broken Sound
f) And some options in Sandalfoot Cove Area and Boca del Mar ( areas which are not nice from what I have heard.

2. Delray Beach:

a) Atlantico at Tuscany ( based on a recommendation by ByeByeLW) - 8085 Tumblestone Ct, Delray Beach, FL 33446
b) Villas del Este - 125 Via D Este, Delray Beach, FL 33445
c)The atlantic at East Delray - 650 Lavers Circle, Delray Beach, FL 33444
d) DelrayVerana

3. West Palm Beach

a)5200 N Flagler by Cityplace
b)1801 S Flagler by CityPlace

4. Ft Lauderdale by Wilton Manors.

I want to stay as close to the beach as possible&affordable, so under that premise, I decided not to pursue Wellington. I am still thinking about Jupiter, PBGardens or even Boyton Beach.

If anyone knows anything negative about these options, please let me know. Furthermore,
if you have any other good recommendation I will receive them gratefully.

Thank you guys!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:06 PM

2,972 posts, read 3,112,717 times
Villas de'este is a lot nicer than Verana for the most part. The Linton Lakes part of Verana is nicer than Spring Harbor, but Villas D'este is more upscale. If you like Mexican/ Spanish food you'd be right by La Bamba which is good lol.

Villas D'este is more secure than Verana as well. I know Verana looks pretty good online.

Also, Villas D'este is a lot closer to the beach than Atlantico at Tuscany. I think it's about 3.5 miles to bike to the beach from Villas D'este.

At Villas D'este you have a garage and can park right next to your door. At Verana you may have to park who knows where. The exception would be the western section of the Linton Lakes part.

At Atlantico you may not be able to park right by your apartment either. It's just new and more upscale than Verana.

I'm not familiar with 5200 N Flagler. I'm not familiar with the interior of 1801 S Flagler but I just happened to drive past there. Your view would be spectacular. You could bike to the Island and enjoy both Palm Beach and West Palm Beach. If you don't want to use your own bikes , there are bike rental stations throughout downtown ( like vending machines lol) .

Also , you would love strolling around the El Cid neighborhood and checking out the gorgeous houses. The Northwood area of West Palm is charming too and a short drive away. And then there's lovely Flamingo Park.

If the interior is up to speed that would be my first or second choice personally.

I am, however, biased towards West Palm anyway.

I would definitely suggest driving around as much as possible to see what strikes you. There is so much going on around here apartment-wise it's hard to keep up.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 09-05-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherFigs View Post
Yes, there are streets that crossover 95 with both the ability to walk or ride your bike. I would not be concerned. Living next to the train is obviously louder than not, but it depends where you are in relation to the track as well as in relation to the station as well. If you find a place nearby my suggestion is to sit one day and wait to for the train to go by to actually hear it for yourself. No one's description will ever clearly depict the noise level as you hearing it for yourself. It's worth finding out what is acceptable to you before rather than after a decision is made.

I live near the Boca Town Center and we love it. Close to the mall, 10 minutes to bike trails if that is a preference. Not too far of a drive to Delray - Atlantic Ave, or even West Palm, if you're heading North, Fort Laud or even Miami if you're heading south.

I don't think you will go wrong with Boca or Delray to be honest. In my opinion, I would stay West of 95, but again, just my experience.

Thanks.
Quote:
Oh missed the part about the train.

There's the TriRail (by 95) and there is the freight line (parallel to Dixie Hwy). Stay far, far away from the freight line. It blows its horn at every intersection. Train is 50+ cars long. It shakes the house, seriously. Awful, awful, awful. Stay away. Have no experience with the TriRail though.
Quote:
Yes I'm not sure why so many diss West Palm. I enjoy going there.

My first choice would be the Mizner Park apartments. The problem is that. unless something has changed in the last two years, there are really bad structural issues there.

A friend of mine couldn't wait to get out of there . He said the place was falling apart.

Perhaps this was only in certain buildings of the complex.

I am not familiar with the Camino Real apartments but you can't go wrong in that area if the complex is okay.

I remember when The Atlantic was The Vinings. I remember thinking Blech! Yes, Blech!
Apparently the remodeling job they've done is lovely. It would be quieter than Mizner Park, of course.

You can walk to the usual chain stores - Trader Joe's, Publix and just about any chain restaurant you can think of.
And the beach.

Miner Park and downtown Boca are more interesting.
Who cares if there are some snobby people there.

There are unique restaurants and small galleries as well as the Boca Museum of Art. And the Ampitheater. Depends how much you like being able to walk to those things.

So maybe research whatever structural issues.

The Atlantic backs up to another complex that was once Laver's Raquet Club. I don't remember what it's called now. I was surprised at the rents they get for The Atlantic. Otherwise I haven't heard anything bad. I would have to ask the mail person on Monday

Some friends live in a brand new rental complex that is part of Tuscany in West Delray. The prices are reasonable and it is very nice there. It is called Atlantico at Tuscany. It is off of Atlantic Ave close to the turnpike. Straight shot east to downtown Delray and the beach.

You can walk to a brand new plaza right in front of the complex. You can also walk to another larger upscale plaza with Publux, restaurants and Frank's Movie Theater. That area is beginning to take off. There are some upscale single family communities (7 Bridges is one) driving the growth.

This probably won't impact you in any way but I'll mention it for the heck of it. On the other side of Linton there is an apartment complex that is actually a halfway house/ rehab type place. You can google Delray's heroin problem.

There are a lot of rehab people and lots of used needles hanging around many rentals in Delray.

Nothing to be paranoid about. Just keep it in mind.
Quote:
Oh, Boca is putting in more bike trails. Check out the El Rio Trail. There is a site that discusses how the trails in Boca connect through the parks etc but I can't remember the name of it. That's another thing Boca has over Delray.

I believe they're arranging it so you wouldn't have to cross the road or something.

Another bike trail is the T-Rex Yrail. It's going to be closed for a bit for construction.
The other day we hiked the Yamato Scrub Natural Area (very cool place) and there is a tunnel under Clint Moore Road.

There is DeHoernle Park with a bike trail as well.

Even if you don't want to join a meetup group you can learn a lot from the postings the various biking/activity groups post in terms of how to get around.

There must be some kind of site about biking around Boca.

There is also a recent thread on here about apartments in downtown West Palm.

Heck, you wouldn't be living on Tamarind so don't cross off West Palm!!

There's CityPlace, Clematis, cool restaurants, antique stores, small galleries, the Palm Beach Photigraphic Center, and the world-class Norton Museum.
Quote:
My take on Boca and people who don't Boca love is that they have either never been there ... OR that they have lived there and watched it expand ... and expand ... and expand. It is very crowded. Severely so, IMO. If you are OK with that, then great. People who love love love it? Are usually snowbirds who don;t have to work, or transplants from Northern states who are used to the congestion and the waiting and the rudeness. I lived there 8 years, east and west Boca, and it was just too much. Too many people, too much traffic, waiting 2 hours for dinner during season because of all the snowbirds.

One thing to be aware of is that the Boca and Delray stretch from the Everglades to the ocean. You will not be 10 minutes from the beach in all areas of these towns. It may take a good 35 minutes to get to the beach. Everyone always thinks, hey you're so close to the beach, you live in Boca/Delray! Um, no. Someone mentioned Atlantic Ave and 441. Take a look at a map. It may be a straight shot, but it's a good 20 minute drive (minimum).

Linton and Dixie is a sketchy area. And it is right next to the freight trains. Do not sign anything until you can see the area and condo in person. I know a family that relocated and ended up in a not-so-nice (I'm saying that nicely) condo complex. The husband did it over phone/internet they never saw the place in person. They broke the lease as soon as they were able to get out of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
My vote goes for East Boca or East Delray. YEs they are pricier, but both are really nice, clean and safe. I think Boca is less touristy, even though you have the Waldorf Astoria (Boca Resort) but it's just more of a real town. The village of Delray, is great but it just seems more touristy/attracts hordes of people on the weekends.

Downtown Boca is going through a development boom, with several large condo developments almost built. The city has tried for years to develop Palmetto Park Raod into a more pedestrian friendly area in the likes of Delray. East Boca is attracting a lot more younger people and is very gay friendly. A lot of gay couples live in Boca.

Also think of East Boca anywhere from 95 to the beach. The mall area is nice, but a little more suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaverso View Post
I agree downtown Boca is definitely going through a "boom" with no end in sight, at the moment. There are many proposed projects that are going to really change how downtown looks. As far as the parking goes, hopefully there will be more options available when all these new buildings open. The only reason I head down that way right now is for Mizner Park and usually parking isn't terrible and there is always valet service available if I can't find something on my own.
Quote:
Villas de'este is a lot nicer than Verana for the most part. The Linton Lakes part of Verana is nicer than Spring Harbor, but Villas D'este is more upscale. If you like Mexican/ Spanish food you'd be right by La Bamba which is good lol.

Villas D'este is more secure than Verana as well. I know Verana looks pretty good online.

Also, Villas D'este is a lot closer to the beach than Atlantico at Tuscany. I think it's about 3.5 miles to bike to the beach from Villas D'este.

At Villas D'este you have a garage and can park right next to your door. At Verana you may have to park who knows where. The exception would be the western section of the Linton Lakes part.

At Atlantico you may not be able to park right by your apartment either. It's just new and more upscale than Verana.

I'm not familiar with 5200 N Flagler. I'm not familiar with the interior of 1801 S Flagler but I just happened to drive past there. Your view would be spectacular. You could bike to the Island and enjoy both Palm Beach and West Palm Beach. If you don't want to use your own bikes , there are bike rental stations throughout downtown ( like vending machines lol) .

Also , you would love strolling around the El Cid neighborhood and checking out the gorgeous houses. The Northwood area of West Palm is charming too and a short drive away. And then there's lovely Flamingo Park.

If the interior is up to speed that would be my first or second choice personally.

I am, however, biased towards West Palm anyway.

I would definitely suggest driving around as much as possible to see what strikes you. There is so much going on around here apartment-wise it's hard to keep up.

Thanks for replying!
My mind is so much into this since we are going to sign a lease this weekend. I do not want to get stuck into something 'horrible'.

So, I think I will take Verana out of my list.

I found another apartment in West Palm Beach inside Presidente Country Club.
The address is 2425 Presidential Way, West Palm beach.

Do you know anything about it?

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. Your input is very helpful!

Thanks again!
Alex

Old 09-06-2016, 06:58 AM

17,288 posts, read 28,299,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderFael View Post
Thanks for replying!
My mind is so much into this since we are going to sign a lease this weekend. I do not want to get stuck into something 'horrible'.

So, I think I will take Verana out of my list.

I found another apartment in West Palm Beach inside Presidente Country Club.
The address is 2425 Presidential Way, West Palm beach.

Do you know anything about it?

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. Your input is very helpful!

Thanks again!
Alex

Honestly in WPB, the N. Flagler Drive building has amazing views, older but well maintained building ... but the surrounding area a few blocks to the west and north is not desirable for many.

The Rapallo (S. Flagler building) is in an excellent location. Of the two options (and above President Country Club) it would be my pick.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM

Yes, good idea to take Verana off the list.

Excited to hear your decision. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 6,277 times
If you like somewhat city living and being closer to the beach, I would recommended east boca or east delray, I think you will enjoy both. City place is really nice but IMO the night time party crowd can get a bit sketchy. San Marco looks beautiful online and is a really nice area but I've heard it's full of partying college kids and there was a recent shooting there (not usual for the area but it happened, some sort of drug deal). Stay far, far away from Sandalfoot. Really sketchy area. Lots of drugs (mostly meth) and prostitution. Just my 2 cents. I've lived in South Florida for 15 years, in Boca for 12.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:17 PM

21,386 posts, read 6,799,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflolife View Post
If you like somewhat city living and being closer to the beach, I would recommended east boca or east delray, I think you will enjoy both. City place is really nice but IMO the night time party crowd can get a bit sketchy. San Marco looks beautiful online and is a really nice area but I've heard it's full of partying college kids and there was a recent shooting there (not usual for the area but it happened, some sort of drug deal). Stay far, far away from Sandalfoot. Really sketchy area. Lots of drugs (mostly meth) and prostitution. Just my 2 cents. I've lived in South Florida for 15 years, in Boca for 12.
Sandalfoot is awful and it is also a good 25-35 minutes from the beach. I think you really need to have a better understanding of the area before signing a lease. There is also a drug rehab halfway house type place on Camino Real, near the Fresh Market. Not sure where on Camino you are looking.

Do a THOROUGH drive around. The area is widespread geographically. And good and bad areas are, literally one street apart. It's not like the NE where there are separate "zones" for good and bad. Please really DRIVE AROUND and see what the areas are like. You may love an apartment, but have to drive through a really sketchy are to get to it.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:04 PM

I agree, Venice.
And even the nice areas of Delray have rehab places nearby; not uncommon to find used syringes where you wouldn't expect.
West Palm now has a curfew that's eliminated the "younger" troublemakers.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 09-06-2016 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach