U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 02:25 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,975,745 times

Advertisements

Checked out the new Ballpark of the Palm Beaches to see the Yankees/Astros game over the weekend. Posted this on CD Miami as part of a thread and figured I would include here.

Had great seats 10 rows behind the plate and you are very close to the action with great sight lines. That is where the positives end, however.

The ballpark staff and Sherriff department were completely unprepared for the traffic (even though they knew the game was sold out in advance) and it took nearly 45 minutes to enter the parking lot entrance from Haverhill Road and park on an unpaved, grassy knoll lot (can only image how many cars get stuck in mud if it rains and definitely plan on needing a car wash afterwards, rain or no rain). Scoreboard was too small to make out the names on the lineups (you need binoculars) and ordering food from the concession stand took at least half an inning and some of the screens were barely visible (and, no, I'm not a 90 year old snowbird recovering from cataract surgery).

If the home teams (Astros and Nationals) ever host a top drawing team, such as the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox, I suggest plan on arriving at least 75 minutes prior to the starting time to be on the safe side (60 minutes was not enough to avoid severe traffic congestion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 PM

786 posts, read 489,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Checked out the new Ballpark of the Palm Beaches to see the Yankees/Astros game over the weekend. Posted this on CD Miami as part of a thread and figured I would include here.

Had great seats 10 rows behind the plate and you are very close to the action with great sight lines. That is where the positives end, however.

The ballpark staff and Sherriff department were completely unprepared for the traffic (even though they knew the game was sold out in advance) and it took nearly 45 minutes to enter the parking lot entrance from Haverhill Road and park on an unpaved, grassy knoll lot (can only image how many cars get stuck in mud if it rains and definitely plan on needing a car wash afterwards, rain or no rain). Scoreboard was too small to make out the names on the lineups (you need binoculars) and ordering food from the concession stand took at least half an inning and some of the screens were barely visible (and, no, I'm not a 90 year old snowbird recovering from cataract surgery).

If the home teams (Astros and Nationals) ever host a top drawing team, such as the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox, I suggest plan on arriving at least 75 minutes prior to the starting time to be on the safe side (60 minutes was not enough to avoid severe traffic congestion)
It's "season" whenever the Yankees or Red Sox played in Jupiter during Spring Training it was the same way, I enjoyed the minor league season games during the summer when only the brave venture out, all of those snowbirds are gone, great way to see future stars, get autographs and see players develop, plus it's cheap and parking/traffic is not a problem.

They also built the Park in a notoriously bad location off of 45th Street, no access from the turnpike. It's also a former dump site and near the water treatment plant so if the wind is blowing in the right direction the smell is going to be there and it's quite foul, also another garbage dump to the west which reaks of high heaven.

West Palm Beach had two prior stadiums before this existed or before Jupiter was around, and were located closer to downtown in now prime areas with better accesss. West Palm Beach Muncipal Stadium off of PB Lakes around where The Home Depot is,which was closed in the late 90's and was still standing up to 2002, housed the Braves and Expos.

Before that was Connie Mack Stadium which home to the St. Lous Browns, Philly A's and later Kansas City A's, was torn down in the early 90's, was in the location of the Kravitz Center Parking Garage off of Okeechobee and Tamarind.

It's unforunate the Stadium isn't closer to downtown in the old location would have been ideal or built it on land where the former PB Mall (now Outlet's) are.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 AM

I must be naive...how do I copy and post a pic on CD??....I tried copying my photo but CD will not allow me to paste it and I do not have a URL--stored on my iphone.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:40 AM

4,780 posts, read 5,317,344 times
LOVE the old pics!
Can you imagine $2.00 box seats??!!!
Wonder what the average Joe's salary was back then?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I must be naive...how do I copy and post a pic on CD??....I tried copying my photo but CD will not allow me to paste it and I do not have a URL--stored on my iphone.
You have to upload them to another site and use the links then insert image.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
LOVE the old pics!
No idea? That was back when SoFla was very affordable and not so populated, I read when Municipal Stadium was built it was considered in the middle of no where and a road had to be built to it, this was the early 60's.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:16 PM

don't know about FL spring training facilities, but I clearly remember when box seats at Yankee Stadium for regular season games were $4.00 (believe the bleachers were $1.50) and they also played doubleheaders....(OK, I also remember when hot dogs cost 25 cents at Nathan's and complained when they jumped up to 40 cents in 1969 or 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
LOVE the old pics!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
don't know about FL spring training facilities, but I clearly remember when box seats at Yankee Stadium for regular season games were $4.00 (believe the bleachers were $1.50) and they also played doubleheaders....(OK, I also remember when hot dogs cost 25 cents at Nathan's and complained when they jumped up to 40 cents in 1969 or 1970.
Not too long ago the Marlins were selling tickets for $5 in the Fish Bowl upper deck, because the stadium was so empty. A bottle of water cost more though.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 PM

6,818 posts, read 3,799,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Not too long ago the Marlins were selling tickets for $5 in the Fish Bowl upper deck, because the stadium was so empty. A bottle of water cost more though.
That's because there's something wrong about going to a ballgame and not having a beer if you're over 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach