U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:17 PM

22,120 posts, read 9,395,685 times

Advertisements

Lived in a house on the west coast of Florida and saw many spiders. Mostly banana spiders (big, but harmless). Once found a black widow with eggs in the garage and was told they often lay eggs near the garage doors near openers--not sure why.

Have lived in Miami and Delray Beach for a few years now, closer to the water. Have not seen any spiders at all inside. None. Nada. Maybe it is only when you live near the woods. Not sure. It's really not such a big deal that it should put you off for living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 5,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Lived in a house on the west coast of Florida and saw many spiders. Mostly banana spiders (big, but harmless). Once found a black widow with eggs in the garage and was told they often lay eggs near the garage doors near openers--not sure why.

Have lived in Miami and Delray Beach for a few years now, closer to the water. Have not seen any spiders at all inside. None. Nada. Maybe it is only when you live near the woods. Not sure. It's really not such a big deal that it should put you off for living here.
Hearing it's not that bad in Delray is encouraging enough for me to at least try the area. Thank you for the insight.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:32 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,680,080 times
Other than little tiny spiders and the spiders I put in that link I don't see any.
Not saying there aren't larger spiders somewhere... But I haven't came across them

Old 04-10-2017, 10:38 AM

4,786 posts, read 5,324,877 times
Sorry - if you're fear of spiders is off the charts - you'd be a fool to move to South Florida.

Yes you can keep your house clean... but will you or will you not leave the house... at least on occasion?
There are spiders.
I'm not a fan of them, but they don't bother me like they do others.
The only reason I'm so aware that they're everywhere is my niece was scared of them and it was her fear that made me more aware of how they are everywhere.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:03 AM

7,352 posts, read 2,167,841 times
Agreed with other poster. If you are deathly afraid of spiders do NOT move to SoFla. They are everywhere. EVERYWHERE. As are lizards, iguanas and snakes. These are as common as squirrels are common up north.

Even if you have a house that does not have them, you still need to leave your house. So you WILL run into them. Daily.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 AM

525 posts, read 505,955 times
Wow. While I agree that there are spiders here, it's really not as bad as the last few posters have made it out to be especially since spiders are everywhere. I don't really know that many people who are thrilled with any sort of creepy crawly thing but it really is not jumping with spiders down here. Yes, we have them but no, they are not lining the sidewalks waiting to jump on people.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 AM

4,786 posts, read 5,324,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Yes, we have them but no, they are not lining the sidewalks waiting to jump on people.
To someone with a major fear of them - they'll see this very different than someone without the fear.
Like I said in my post - spiders aren't a problem for me and never were.
Until my niece moved down who has a major issue with them... I never realized how often I walked past them - they aren't something I focus on.. now my niece? She's got a big issue and would think they're on the sidewalk waiting to get her... lol...then the issue she has with the slow flying wasp type things that hang around gas pumps...that's a whole other story... and fear

Old 04-15-2017, 10:49 PM

311 posts, read 224,430 times
There are a lot of spiders here but they are almost entirely in landscapes and natural areas. Spiders make their living by eating insects so they don't waste their time hanging around places without them.

I would say it would be easy to avoid 99% of your spider exposure by buying a condo where you don't have to walk through a landscaped area to get to and from your car. Same with shopping areas, they are easily avoided.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 AM

10,225 posts, read 4,793,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
There are a lot of spiders here but they are almost entirely in landscapes and natural areas. Spiders make their living by eating insects so they don't waste their time hanging around places without them.

I would say it would be easy to avoid 99% of your spider exposure by buying a condo where you don't have to walk through a landscaped area to get to and from your car. Same with shopping areas, they are easily avoided.

I agree and there are plenty of dog free condos/townhomes/HOA's also.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM

525 posts, read 505,955 times
Kudos to the last two posters. It is possible to be here and see very few spiders and other insects. Most HOAs spray and are very good about controlling these problems. If you keep away from vegetation you will be ok. It's pretty easy to do this. If you walk, stay on the non grassy areas and if you want to lounge, go to the pool where you will be surrounded by concrete. Usually the pool areas have lizards but they're good because they keep the insect population very much in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or