U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 6,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
College Park and Parrot Cove are neat neighborhoods.

But, one thing to consider if you are planning on having children in the future are schools. Lake Worth schools are not so hot.

I know people who moved from College Park in Lake Worth to just over the canal to the Southend of West Palm Beach (south of Southern, east of Dixie) so that their kids could go to South Olive Elementary, which is highly rated.

Flamingo Park, Grandview Heights and El Cid also are zoned for good elementary school (Palm Beach Public).

Grandview Heights is a bit cheaper than Flamingo Park. The Southend, mentioned above, has a range of prices.
Trim,

Thank you, that is a very good point, and informative. A good elementary school is important to me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 PM

46 posts, read 107,051 times
I've never felt safe walking to where I was headed in Lake Worth. I no longer make plans down there. Downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are ghetto. It's an artsy area so you get the weirdos, eccentrics, homeless, and drunks. Plus gang activity from the likely illegals (don't hate, I would want this info if it was my inquiry). Rent for a year and then you can spend time poking around all the towns and their neighborhoods. You will find a good fit!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM

34 posts, read 47,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfitzny View Post
Im still looking for a job down there. I work as a civil engineer, a lot of companies are in West Palm with my profession so i will probably be commuting there. Im considering living in the flamingo park area of West Palm too but the prices seem a lot more reasonable in lakeworth. Im looking to live in a neighborhood with historic houses and laid back vibe, low crime, close to the beach with some restaurants in walking/bicycling distance.
Have you considered Abacoa community in Jupiter? I think it would be a good fit for you: laid back, low crime, close to beach, walking/bicycling to downtown Abacoa bars and restaurants. But it is definitely more $$$ than Lakeworth.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,162,843 times
I live in LW and would go along with Tri's suggestions.

Nothing is certain in LW; it's been up and coming for decades now.

It seems like there is too much infighting for anything really good to happen ; I'm not really pro development but jeez other small cities have stayed quaint without becoming as dubious as Lake Worth!

When will they get going with the Gulfstream Hotel? Why do some residents feel that a 6 story building is a "skyscraper"?

But if you do have 30 years to take a chance on an investment it may be worth it ; depends on what you want.

Many of the nice neighborhoods in LW are actually going downhill a bit, even though there are random improvements. Hard to understand what's going on here .

I sound like what one local blogger would call a "naysayer".

This is just what I see and it's heartbreaking for a city that has such great "bones" and possibilities.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 06-28-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagijate View Post
We just purchased a home near Bryant Park and it's great. Parrot Cove has many nice homes as does College Park.
Scattered between those areas of downtown are some fairly rundown houses mixed in with those recently or currently undergoing renovation. I would suggest staying East of Federal Highway for best value.
I love S. Lakeside and S. Palm Way- if the OP can afford it; so much more beautiful and lush than Parrot Cove or College Park!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,645,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I live in LW and would go along with Tri's suggestions.

Nothing is certain in LW; it's been up and coming for decades now.

It seems like there is too much infighting for anything really good to happen ; I'm not really pro development but jeez other small cities have stayed quaint without becoming as dubious as Lake Worth!

When will they get going with the Gulfstream Hotel? Why do some residents feel that a 6 story building is a "skyscraper"?

But if you do have 30 years to take a chance on an investment it may be worth it ; depends on what you want.

Many of the nice neighborhoods in LW are actually going downhill a bit, even though there are random improvements. Hard to understand what's going on here .

I sound like what one local blogger would call a "naysayer".

This is just what I see and it's heartbreaking for a city that has such great "bones" and possibilities.

Lake Worth frustrates me so much. The potential is absolutely there. A stock of ready-to-rehab key west and Florida vernacular homes, a decent downtown, proximity to the beach.

When Lake Worth voted down that first bond initiative that would have put in sidewalks and fixed all the streets, I was floored.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:00 AM

They are fixing some of the roads and some of the old water pipes.

Lake Worth has a reverse-osmosis water system. I used to wonder why my bathroom rug (light colored) would show a faint rusty brown stain when I stepped out of the shower.

I then found out about the rusty old pipes the water has to get through!

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 13,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfitzny View Post
Can anyone let me if Lakeworth florida is a nice area to live in. Im considering buying a home in the Parrot Cove or College Park area of Lakeworth.
I would highly suggest you look in Wellington and Delray. Both are nicer areas, which will protect your investment in the long run. Simply put, they are more desireable, but in the same relative vicinity.

Let me know if I can help you further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or