Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:00 AM

85 posts, read 75,709 times

Advertisements

Hi!

What is a ballpark range for removing old tile and installing a new tile floor (not including cost of tile itself)?
Looking at about 2500 sq ft.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 PM

378 posts, read 486,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky76 View Post
Hi!

What is a ballpark range for removing old tile and installing a new tile floor (not including cost of tile itself)?
Looking at about 2500 sq ft.

Thanks in advance!
For removal - $3-$5 sqft for removal plus dumpster costs
For installation - $7-$12 sqft for installation (Type of tile, size and pattern all play big parts).

Old 06-28-2017, 12:47 PM

I figured the more complex the design of the tile installation would up the price. Just wanted to get a general figure since if we purchase a home that would be my first priority in what to change and would need to do that before moving in.

Hopefully it won't need to be done but a lot of what I am seeing so far isn't exactly something I would be content with.

Thank you sooo much!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Hopefully it won't need to be done but a lot of what I am seeing so far isn't exactly something I would be content with.
Agreed!

If its a new build/under construction you could always ask the builder to not install the tile, or work with the tile guys before they begin to have them lay down your alternate tile at your cost.

I'm a DIY guy so I would be doing it myself (At least the removal if nothing else). Renting a jack hammer with chisel tip and/or floor stripper would make quick work of the removal. Hauling it to the trash bin and cleanup would be the rough part

Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
For installation - $7-$12 sqft for installation (Type of tile, size and pattern all play big parts).
This cannot be correct!

@$4 a sq ft for removal you are saying a 2500 sq ft house would be $10,000 just to remove it? Then $25,000 to install new tile (@ $10 a sq ft)? NFW!

FYI there are companies that will do all the demolition work on a house to get it ready for the specific trades.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This cannot be correct!

@$4 a sq ft for removal you are saying a 2500 sq ft house would be $10,000 just to remove it? Then $25,000 to install new tile (@ $10 a sq ft)? NFW!

FYI there are companies that will do all the demolition work on a house to get it ready for the specific trades.
I'm not in the business, but there are plenty of sites out there to confirm this information...but of course obtaining quotes from local vendors would be ideal as everyones labor, equipment, materials, insurance and other costs can vary:
-https://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_remove_tile.html
-http://tile.promatcher.com/cost/fort-lauderdale-fl-tile-costs-prices.aspx
-http://answers.angieslist.com/What-average-cost-remove-ceramic-tile-q153391.aspx

At least the OP is asking the question and taking this into account before buying a house (Which may help in negotiating a lower price in some instances) rather than getting sticker shock after the fact

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM

We are big DIY'ers ourselves since hubby is a plumber and rather handy but there are certain things we prefer to leave to the pro's. Plus I want to take it a bit easy on him since we would be coming off a big move (even though we will rent for a bit before deciding on neighborhood we want to be in so he will have some recoup time)

I do think those #'s are a little high and since he is in the trades I'm sure we will get to know people. I always like to plan to over budget and come in under (I kinda suck at that though cause it hasn't happened yet and am "working on it")

The housing market in Florida seems a bit bipoloar so I will absolutely be more conservative and also be careful not to go overboard with certain things when it comes to renovations. I know the NY market really well so when we did our renovations here we knew that we could pump some
more $ in materials especially for the bathroom because there is no issue on being able to recoup. My instincts for Florida are to be careful not to overbuild for the price point of the house, it's not going to be easy but I can do it

Thanks again for the input from everyone!!

Quote:
Agreed!

If its a new build/under construction you could always ask the builder to not install the tile, or work with the tile guys before they begin to have them lay down your alternate tile at your cost.

I'm a DIY guy so I would be doing it myself (At least the removal if nothing else). Renting a jack hammer with chisel tip and/or floor stripper would make quick work of the removal. Hauling it to the trash bin and cleanup would be the rough part

Old 06-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I know the NY market really well so when we did our renovations here we knew that we could pump some more $ in materials especially for the bathroom because there is no issue on being able to recoup. My instincts for Florida are to be careful not to overbuild for the price point of the house, it's not going to be easy but I can do it
Its the same here as well, but yeah you just have to know the market and costs. An example I just encountered was one of the builders we looked at wanted over 30K (Upgrade/design fee) to tile the open spaces with tile we wanted, me being a DIY'er can see the tile itself is just under $5K so would have no issue just taking the bare minimum and doing the tile myself and spending a weekend or two on a project

Old 06-30-2017, 05:30 PM

293 posts, read 499,852 times
Quote:
these prices are insane, this is not reasonable prices.

Tile removal is about $1 a Sq Foot and installation around $2.00 a Sq Foot

I own 6 homes and have done this many times , When I look to purchase a home for a flip or rental I can put in a decent porcelain tile at $2 per Sq Ft cost for tile, with removal, installation, materials I always budget $6.00 to $6.50. That is complete removal, installation tile and materials

if the prices MyITGuy quoted were real, I would be in the tile installation and removal business tomorrow

also for tile removal just pick up a couple guys from outside of home depot in Lake Worth and pay them $100 a day each. Rent a jackhammer from home depot. 2500 sq foot will take 3 days max, so $600 for labor, $250 jackhammer rental and $400 for the bagster 2 bags for pick up or $1250 total or 50 cents Per Sq Foot, hence this is why I would be in tile removal business tomorrow if I can get $3 to $5 as I can sub work to day laborers and make millions

message me when you want some tile removed MyITGuy, I will get it done for $2.50 for you

Old 07-01-2017, 06:37 AM

194 posts, read 427,598 times
Agree with the previous post on pricing. Depending on the work involved $1-2 psf to take it up and $1-2 to lay the new tiles down. If someone wanted $7-12 psf just to lay down new tile I would file a police report for theft of my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach