U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,865 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Hello!

I've been reading quite a few posts regarding various relocation moves. My husband has been offered a great opportunity within commercial real estate, we are going to move in September to take the position. I'd love some advice/opinions on a few things if possible! You are all so knowledgeable.

We both went to university in Florida, UTampa and Rollins (I only came back to Boston one summer during this time), so heat and humidity don't bother us, and we've experienced it...unless east coast FL is vastly different. I get cold at 70, always been tropical blooded.

We want to start in Jupiter and I love all the rentals I've seen. We don't have kids yet, like to eat good food out every now and then, but we're both pretty content hanging together at home. Is that the best area for meeting potential friends and neighbors in their late 20's, or is it very much a family w/ kids vibe? We love kids but need a few years!! I've heard Abacoa is nice, we visited in May though and looked like they were still developing? What's the retail there for shops/restaurants? Again we don't go out too often but would love to find a good reliable spot!

I've heard it's a great place to land and the forums seem to point that way if you have kids. For us this is important: friendly neighbors, volunteer opportunities to rehab land/wildlife, close to beach, easy access to kayak and paddle-board, good beach we can bring our golden retriever.

Noticed in Jupiter not many opportunities to buy a fixer upper to redesign, customize and upgrade. They all come with great options but takes the fun out of the design piece, which I really enjoy. Is this generally true or are there some areas where we could find something like a true fixer upper? If not I'm Jupiter, any area vibes on the next "Jupiter like town" (Of course schools etc. would make an impact here)?

My husband makes enough so there isn't a ton of pressure to find work but I'd really go nuts in a new place if I couldn't chat, meet new people and really learn about the area. I've worked for startups and small businesses as a biz dev/ marketing director with a focus and passion for interior design and plant design. I know the market is so different down there but honestly I'm open to a new career. Wondering if it would be worth it to look into residential real estate? I have tons of time to figure out a job so any advice on what markets I could potentially look into. Also I'm incredibly aware that the job availability and salary is not comparable to Boston.

Speaking of Boston, I've heard a lot of NY and NJ responses (love my new yorkers!) And wondering if there's a community of people from New England in jupiter area. Mostly for sports camaraderie and watching a game at a place that plays NE sports.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Appreciate all answers.

Last edited by Shesellsseashells; 08-04-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2017, 11:55 PM
 
6,818 posts, read 3,799,360 times
Reputation: 14515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesellsseashells View Post
Hello!

I've been reading quite a few posts regarding various relocation moves. My husband has been offered a great opportunity within commercial real estate, we are going to move in September to take the position. I'd love some advice/opinions on a few things if possible! You are all so knowledgeable.

We both went to university in Florida, UTampa and Rollins (I only came back to Boston one summer during this time), so heat and humidity don't bother us, and we've experienced it...unless east coast FL is vastly different. I get cold at 70, always been tropical blooded.

We want to start in Jupiter and I love all the rentals I've seen. We don't have kids yet, like to eat good food out every now and then, but we're both pretty content hanging together at home. Is that the best area for meeting potential friends and neighbors in their late 20's, or is it very much a family w/ kids vibe? We love kids but need a few years!! I've heard Abacoa is nice, we visited in May though and looked like they were still developing? What's the retail there for shops/restaurants? Again we don't go out too often but would love to find a good reliable spot!

I've heard it's a great place to land and the forums seem to point that way if you have kids. For us this is important: friendly neighbors, volunteer opportunities to rehab land/wildlife, close to beach, easy access to kayak and paddle-board, good beach we can bring our golden retriever.

Noticed in Jupiter not many opportunities to buy a fixer upper to redesign, customize and upgrade. They all come with great options but takes the fun out of the design piece, which I really enjoy. Is this generally true or are there some areas where we could find something like a true fixer upper? If not I'm Jupiter, any area vibes on the next "Jupiter like town" (Of course schools etc. would make an impact here)?

My husband makes enough so there isn't a ton of pressure to find work but I'd really go nuts in a new place if I couldn't chat, meet new people and really learn about the area. I've worked for startups and small businesses as a biz dev/ marketing director with a focus and passion for interior design and plant design. I know the market is so different down there but honestly I'm open to a new career. Wondering if it would be worth it to look into residential real estate? I have tons of time to figure out a job so any advice on what markets I could potentially look into. Also I'm incredibly aware that the job availability and salary is not comparable to Boston.

Speaking of Boston, I've heard a lot of NY and NJ responses (love my new yorkers!) And wondering if there's a community of people from New England in jupiter area. Mostly for sports camaraderie and watching a game at a place that plays NE sports.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Appreciate all answers.
Do people from New England really say go "to university" as people in (old) England do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
457 posts, read 433,963 times
Reputation: 249
College and university are used interchangeably in my experience as someone who has lived in New England/the Northeast for most of my life. It's not really like (old) England where university is the only word used but it is used somewhat frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 PM
 
6,818 posts, read 3,799,360 times
Reputation: 14515
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
College and university are used interchangeably in my experience as someone who has lived in New England/the Northeast for most of my life. It's not really like (old) England where university is the only word used but it is used somewhat frequently.
That's odd, as someone from the northeast. People here say their kids are away "at college" even though most are probably at a university. I have never heard a native speaker of American English say they are going to "university." This is even more confusing because the OP named a college, not a university as their alma mater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 07:58 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,865 times
Reputation: 19
Oh yikes sorry everyone. I guess it's because I grew up with parents who learned English in England...thanks for taking the time to correct me...probably should have edited the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 01:21 PM
 
6,818 posts, read 3,799,360 times
Reputation: 14515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesellsseashells View Post
Oh yikes sorry everyone. I guess it's because I grew up with parents who learned English in England...thanks for taking the time to correct me...probably should have edited the post.
Certainly no need to apologize; simply an observation of that which was not reflected in the information you gave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Gainesville, FL; formerly Weston, FL
986 posts, read 977,350 times
Reputation: 984
My husband and I looked at moving to Jupiter from Weston a couple of years or so ago, so I'll give you our opinions. We also own a golden retriever and we stayed a few times at a pet-friendly hotel in the area to scout around and do some reconnaissance before hiring a real estate agent (but when we did, it was to sell our home and move up to Gainesville where we also, like you, both graduated from UF--but that's a whole other story!)

Our impression of Jupiter was that it was a sleepy, laid back town--a bit too sleepy for our tastes. True, Gainesville is very laid back, but you have the university and the sports programs that keep things interesting. Also lower cost of living for us (but I digress). The good news about Jupiter is that on its southern border, you have Palm Beach Gardens right across the street, and another exit or so to the south is a beautiful area in PBG that has fine shopping and dining. Also further south is WPB City Place with more shopping, dining and entertainment. Jupiter is a beautiful city--well-manicured in most parts, good schools, safe compared to SFLA standards and very few seedy areas (most are around I95 and Indiantown Road). The city is attracting more and more young families who don't mind a commute to parts south, as many consider it to be an area of relative tranquility amidst the craziness of SFLA. And Jupiter has always had an attraction for retirees (well, you could lump many areas of Florida in that category). Only you and your husband can decide whether or not Jupiter offers enough amenities for both of you. We primarily decided that considering the price of real estate there, it wasn't for us right now.

The community that you're looking at, Abacoa, is a nice mixture of families, retirees and young people, and when we looked there, we felt the emphasis was on families. We have an older, retired relative who lived up there and he felt there were too many kids for his liking, so he sold and moved to PBG, where he is much happier. You probably didn't give enough justice to your tour of Abacoa. It is large--it borders Donald Ross Road to the south, Indian Creek Parkway to the north, Military Trail to the east, and Heights Blvd. to the west. There are 20 neighborhoods, and when we looked 2 years ago, most had long been built--they were working on a couple, Mallory Creek as I remember--there was also another one. So you should look some more in there. We kept comparing Abacoa to our old home in Weston, which was on a 1/4 acre lot. At that time, Abacoa would have been too expensive for our tastes, if we wanted the same lot size. And we did--our golden is used to a large yard, and likes to run and play, and my husband also enjoys puttering around the yard. So again, no match for us. But you could be totally different, your tastes and also your budget.

There are many things that I think you would like about Jupiter. First, is the Jupiter Dog Beach, which is free. It is pristine and beautiful. We frequently made a day or long weekend trip up from Weston just to enjoy the beach with our golden. There are poop bags at each beach entrance and dogs are allowed off leash, but must be under control. It is "user beware" as we found out with one of our prior Goldens that got attacked as we were walking to the beach. Palm Beach Animal Control won't do a thing as they feel you are using the beach with your dogs at your own risk--so just be vigilant as there are a lot of stupid dog owners out there. Still, one bad incident didn't deter us (probably because our dog barely had a scratch--thank goodness for that thick golden fur).

As for volunteer opportunities, you can also help with the upkeep of the beach. Here is the link: https://friendsofjupiterbeach.org. I also have information on a golden retriever Meet Up group that meets every month or so at the dog beach. You can PM me if you want information on that. We've gone a few times; about 6, 7 Goldens and their owners show up. Another volunteer opportunity is helping with the sea turtles. Since the beaches are pretty much undeveloped, that area of SFLA is a prime place for sea turtles and their nests. The Loggerhead MarineLife Center is located just south of Jupiter Beach, in Juno Beach, and here is the link: https://www.marinelife.org.

As far as any fixer-uppers are concerned, I would say your best bet would be to look at something in Jupiter Farms. Jupiter Farms is a rural section of Jupiter, west of I95. Many of the homes are on an acre and you have quite a few that are older and could use some updating. I have a friend who owns a couple of Goldens who just sold her home in Jupiter Farms. It is an interesting area because it has that rural, (almost) anything goes quality. You have space, and peace. However, we found it was not for us--we appreciate HOA living and although homes in HOA's can be cookie-cutter, we like the uniformity. But you may feel differently.

Final word of advice--yes, definitely rent first. You probably have the best odds of finding a place that will rent to someone with a large dog in Abacoa, just due to the size of the development. You need to spend about a year renting to get a feel for the area and what you like--you need that time to explore. One thing we found when house hunting that a lot of the townhouses/condos on Jupiter Beach either did not allow dogs or only allowed small dogs, which we thought was rather strange, considering the popularity of the dog beach. I don't think I can provide the link, but can do so via PM for one real estate agent's site who had a section on dog-friendly condos/townhomes. We used his site as a guide during our search--he knows the HOA rules for many of the developments and lists the ones that are small and/or large dog friendly.

Good luck to you, and as a fellow UF graduate and dog owner, Go Gators and Go Goldens!

PS: We sold our home in Weston to a family that was relocating from Boston, so how funny is that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 05:33 PM
 
85 posts, read 41,681 times
Reputation: 289
I spent 17 years in the Jupiter/Tequesta area and really liked it. Beautiful beach and great restaurants. However, on the downside: It is very expensive to rent due to the popularity of the area. Decent Rentals go very fast and while many landlords will accept pets, not all of them accept larger dogs. Also, if you don't yet have kids, Abacoa is harder to fit in. I used to be a nanny for a couple who lived in Abacoa, and the mom told me that when they moved there, they didn't yet have their child and it was harder to make friends. It is very pro family.

I am single and found that Jupiter is too dull for someone unmarried without children. Seems to be all families and seniors. I moved here in my 30's and found it difficult to make single friends unless you met people through your job. There really is no nightlife but that can always be found in West Palm Beach. I now live near Lake Worth and find it a little more diverse. YMMV. This is JMO of course.

Last edited by misscath007; 08-07-2017 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL
4,111 posts, read 5,824,825 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's odd, as someone from the northeast. People here say their kids are away "at college" even though most are probably at a university. I have never heard a native speaker of American English say they are going to "university." This is even more confusing because the OP named a college, not a university as their alma mater.
What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 11:40 PM
 
6,818 posts, read 3,799,360 times
Reputation: 14515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
What's the difference?
It's somewhat involved...

What's the difference between a 'college' and a 'university'? | Campus Life News for College Students | USA TODAY College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top