Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:17 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabound1234 View Post
I should have mentioned my job will bring me to Pembroke Pines.
Are you aware a commute from Boca to Pembroke Pines would be a complete nightmare?
Why Boca and not somewhere closer to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:50 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input City Guy! I should have mentioned my job will bring me to Pembroke Pines. So Palm City might be a little too much of a commute for me. Although i do have a friend who lives up there and he loves it.

I should have also mentioned my budget is in the 400k to 450k range. Not looking for anything crazy, 3+br, around 2,000 sq feet. Since you moved out of Boca, where do you live now? What made you want to leave the area?

Any other members of the forum have any advice?

Thanks for your help!!!
#1 reason I left Boca was the influx of NY/NJ refugees! The quality of the residents was diminishing.
Visit a supermarket or busy restaurant and you will quickly identify who you don't want as your neighbor! The stereotype of everyone from "Bocur" being rich is a joke, plenty of blue collar folks there. A local newspaper reporter called women of Boca: Bocahontas's. Place is a punchline for everyone from Seinfeld (Del Boca Vista) to Sopranos.

I also was unemployed, I sold a business with a 5 yr no compete so I took the cash and moved north.

You should be looking significantly closer to Pembroke Pines. To spend an hour on the road each way to work is insanity especially considering where you want to live. Even just going to Parkland could cut your commute in 1/2 depending where in P. Pines you need to go.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,048 times
I am OK with an hour commute if it is going to mean better schools and safer neighborhoods. That is why I pay too much money for satellite radio every month! I lived in Jersey for a short run so i can see what you are talking about to some degree. You mean you don't like the "I am from New York, I know everything and you are an idiot" mentality? I am friends with some "NJ/New Yorkers", but like any city in the northeast, you are going to have really strong personalities/opinions on every aspect of life. Which i can see being annoying.

Anyhoot, back to the whole me trying to find a place to live thing... I have heard Parkland thrown around before (yes, i know that is the Ft Lauderdale forum). And then i read people on here saying don't buy in Broward, head as far north as you can, etc..

Revised/updated punch list: Good schools, safe housing in the 400k neighborhood, commute to west pembroke pines (near I-75) in under an hour. West Boca, Boynton, Lake Worth, Wellington in PBC then?

Thanks for all of your help folks, i appreciate it, headed down in a few weeks to check out the landscape.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
OP when you’re down here in a few weeks be sure to drive, during rush hour traffic, from your office in Pembroke Pines, to east Boca, and where ever else you’re considering to live. Then be sure to take into consideration that during season, that commute will be significantly longer.
Boca’s nice, but not immune to crime like so many seem to believe.
Best of luck!

Old 07-06-2018, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,805 times
Look in West Boca- Mission Bay, Boca Winds,The Falls,Boca Greens, Lakes of Boca to name a few. A rated schools from elementary to high school.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:59 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Quote:
I am OK with an hour commute if it is going to mean better schools and safer neighborhoods. That is why I pay too much money for satellite radio every month! I lived in Jersey for a short run so i can see what you are talking about to some degree. You mean you don't like the "I am from New York, I know everything and you are an idiot" mentality? I am friends with some "NJ/New Yorkers", but like any city in the northeast, you are going to have really strong personalities/opinions on every aspect of life. Which i can see being annoying.

Anyhoot, back to the whole me trying to find a place to live thing... I have heard Parkland thrown around before (yes, i know that is the Ft Lauderdale forum). And then i read people on here saying don't buy in Broward, head as far north as you can, etc..

Revised/updated punch list: Good schools, safe housing in the 400k neighborhood, commute to west pembroke pines (near I-75) in under an hour. West Boca, Boynton, Lake Worth, Wellington in PBC then?

Thanks for all of your help folks, i appreciate it, headed down in a few weeks to check out the landscape.
Any reason why you didn't consider Weston? Was it the budget? (You'd have to look closer to $450k). You will not like the commute from PBC to west Broward. A friend of mine used to live in Boca Winds and commuted to Davie; she'd call me sometimes on her way to work and what she'd describe on Sawgrass was no picnic.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
People from up north don't understand how Boca is set up. I doubt that they have looked at a map to see where "main" roads are. They have a completely different picture of what commuting is like. They also don't realize how much area Boca takes up, geographically.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2BOCA View Post
Look in West Boca- Mission Bay, Boca Winds,The Falls,Boca Greens, Lakes of Boca to name a few. A rated schools from elementary to high school.
^^^all of which are undesirable^^^
West of 441 corridor is the worst!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I'd focus on Boca Raton, with all due respect Parkland is as bland as it gets. I like the housing areas in the central area too as another member mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach