U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 1,959 times

Advertisements

Hi, I plan to move to Fl from New York soon and need to start looking. Love the beach, but more of a golfer. Two communities were recommended to me - Boca West and Gleneagles. Does anyone have any details about either or both? I am a single woman, very active and early 60's. Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 08:26 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,872,104 times
I used to live in Boca West CC and my grandparents had a place in Gleneagles but that was 30 years ago.
Both have mandatory equity. Boca West is 70,000 and around 1,000 a month for dues plus hoa fees. Gleneagles would be similar but less.
Boca West is beautiful but the fees like I stated are expensive.
If you don't want fees like listed Boca Pointe is nice though I never lived there. I did view a couple condos and they don't have mandatory membership. I'm not sure the cost to play golf and what there club is like.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:38 AM

7,939 posts, read 2,290,814 times
I'd avoid Boca West. I've heard there are or were lots of homeowners in there that couldnt sell their units due to the high costs of the fees, so they were having to lower their askign prices to crazy low prices, and they still were not selling because nobody wanted to pay the fees.

At one time, condo's that sold for $100,000+ were being offered at $11,000.

I have no idea what the situation is there now, but I'd stay clear of Boca West due to excessive costs/fees/memberships.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 1,959 times
Hi DaniellaG and beach43ofus,

Thanks so much for your responses. I agree the high BWCC fees... are worth it/offset by the amenities?
Are the people nice/friendly? Do you have any information on typical age range?
I’ll also take a look at Boca Point. Really looking for a community with nice people, availability/flexibility with golf tee times and good security.

Thanks again. I appreciate the time taken and thoughtful/informational responses.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:25 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,872,104 times
Boca West average age I would say is 60s. I was in my 30s but most of my neighbors were in their 60s. There are older and younger people but the majority are seniors that are still active. Also half are snow birds so many neighbors will only be there a few months.
I read and was told Boca West is one of top golf country clubs in the US. I think number 15. I'm not sure how they base this cause my grandfather lived in Woodfield across the street and I thought that was nicer
My neighbors were nice but there were some crabby people like Boca in general.
A lot of these clubs with affordable condos have a hard time selling cause of the fees.
Personally I don't like the area where Gleneagles is. It feels like a retirement home and parts near are not in the greatest in my opinion
Boca West location is very nice. Also Boca West is miles long with different communities. There are also individual homes.
Are you looking for specifically a condo?
In my opinion you should rent there for a year prior to buying. Some rentals you can also rent the club for the year which would be there dues plus your rent. So around 11,000 plus what they ask for in rent. This would give you a good feel.
Like I said before I would look at Boca Pointe cause they don't have mandatory club but you can join and they have golf and other amenities.
You can message me if you would like too

Old 11-16-2019, 03:49 PM

11,779 posts, read 13,665,001 times
If you want to pay the dues, consider Boca Grove also. It is south of Boca West but only has one 18 hole course (BW has 5).

You literally can buy a decent condo/townhouse for 10,000 or less because the dues are crushing the real estate prices. BW has $1000 2/2 condos available but just remember you will have to discount it when you sell it also.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:38 PM

284 posts, read 507,685 times
This web site should help. It lists the golf courses and home communities in the Boca/Delray area. Just click one of the links of the golf courses and it will give a description of the course, community and homes for sale.
Boca Raton / Delray Beach - The Golf Life Agent

Of course a lot will depend on how much you can afford. Clubs in Boca/Delray are typically much more expensive than a little farther north in West Palm. In fact, if you like the West Palm Beach area close to Wellington and Royal Palm there are two clubs there that have great value (Breakers West and Mayacoo Lakes) in that they are in great condition, not very expensive and are in a good area. Another club in West Palm Beach that has two Nicklaus courses, is very affordable and has a lot of women golfers is Bear Lakes. Only thing I don't like there is it's more congested being closer to the ocean and near a lot of businesses.

Again, there are so many choices it all depends on what your budget is for your house, initiation fees and annual dues. Unless you can nail those down then there's no way to narrow the possibilities.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:11 AM

7,939 posts, read 2,290,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If you want to pay the dues, consider Boca Grove also. It is south of Boca West but only has one 18 hole course (BW has 5).

You literally can buy a decent condo/townhouse for 10,000 or less because the dues are crushing the real estate prices. BW has $1000 2/2 condos available but just remember you will have to discount it when you sell it also.
How do you discount a $10,000 condo? Sell it for $5,000? If so...wow! I heard of that from my best friend who lives in Boca, but geez. How do they base the property taxes off of a $10,000 sale price in Boca West?

Do you get a $283.19 annual property tax bill?

Old 11-17-2019, 10:53 AM

38 posts, read 35,053 times
Gleneagles is very nice, but extremely out of the way if you're trying to be in Boca--it's pretty much as west as you're going to get and still be in Delray.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 AM

4,933 posts, read 5,888,477 times
As other posters indicated and why... definitely skip Boca West.
It's not worth the fees and there are many other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or