U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 AM

61 posts, read 282,708 times

Advertisements

What would I be looking at for commute times from Wellington to Boca? Wellington to Fort Lauderdale? This would be at fairly peak times (7:30ish and 5:00ish). Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
The real question is WHY would you commute from Wellington to Boca or Ft. Lauderdale? There are communities west of Ft. Lauderdale and in Boca Raton itself that meet or exceed what you will get out of Wellington for the same price. To be honest, it's not the traffic that will kill you (you are usually full speed until you get south of the Dade County line), it's the 40-50 minutes of straight driving to Ft. Lauderdale and 20 minutes to Boca that will, plus the gas prices.

If you are going to work in Ft. Lauderdale, check out Weston, lower crime and nowadays less congested than Wellington due to better planning, and if you are going to work in Boca, just live there, especially west Boca which is younger in population or pockets of east Boca are rather nice too. The central part is cheesy and very Joan Rivers but if that's your thing the quality of life is decent. If you are going to split the time between Boca and Ft. Lauderdale, Boca would still be your best bet, or possibly Parkland which is less congested and has an upscale equestrian theme instead of the Joan Rivers thing going on in Boca, kind of like Wellington before they Browardized it. They have strict zoning ordinances as well to prevent it from turning into another suburban chaos.

Honestly, Wellington is unrecognizable to me now compared to just 6 years ago. I was just up there and it looks like Pembroke Pines now, especially State Road 7. It used to have open space and feel pretty down to earth and that's what set it apart. Now, I really don't think anything sets Wellington apart anymore. Wellington is still a good place to live but not worth a commute like that at all.

So I did answer your question, but unless you have an obligation to live there, I would rethink it with todays gas prices (it's not just about the money either), especially considering you can live just as good or even better closer to work. There are less congested, more convenient, safer, and more upscale places to live closer to work with equivalent to better public schools.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-10-2008 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,297,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i29gtaylor View Post
What would I be looking at for commute times from Wellington to Boca? Wellington to Fort Lauderdale? This would be at fairly peak times (7:30ish and 5:00ish). Thanks
I agree with compelled. Why would you subject yourself to that daily torture x2? Especially during peak hours.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I agree with compelled. Why would you subject yourself to that daily torture x2? Especially during peak hours.
Some of the factors at play: the wifey would be working at a hospital in the WPB area and is also very involved with the equestrian lifestyle; we have two kids and she would be off the earliest so we want her to have the shortest commute; I work in finance so my best bet for a good job is (ostensibly) in the Boca Raton / Fort Lauderdale area. Do you know anything about the job market for finance professionals in the WPB / Boca Raton / Fort Lauderdale areas? Maybe I'm off with my assumption that I would probably have to be commuting to one of the latter two

Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM

If you want to live in/very near the equestrian lifestyle, Wellington is the place for sure.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
Quote:
Some of the factors at play: the wifey would be working at a hospital in the WPB area and is also very involved with the equestrian lifestyle; we have two kids and she would be off the earliest so we want her to have the shortest commute; I work in finance so my best bet for a good job is (ostensibly) in the Boca Raton / Fort Lauderdale area. Do you know anything about the job market for finance professionals in the WPB / Boca Raton / Fort Lauderdale areas? Maybe I'm off with my assumption that I would probably have to be commuting to one of the latter two
Ah, that definitely changes things up. There are equestrian areas all over South Florida. In fact, if you want stables or you are just very involved in the equestrian lifestyle, check out Loxahatchee, north of Wellington. You will LOVE it. I know absolutely nothing about your field unfortunately, but what I am saying is that it's not necessary to live in Wellington UNLESS your wife FOR SURE works in WPB. Then Wellington depending on what you want can be a nice option.

OK, I probably confused you, so let me keep in mind the word "equestrian". Seeing your price range in the other thread, I recommend any of following areas...

Work in Boca Raton...
-Parkland

Work in West Palm Beach
-Loxahatchee
-The Acreage
-Jupiter Farms

Work in Ft. Lauderdale
-Southwest Ranches
-The "ranchy" sections of Davie.
-Parts of Plantation (spotty middle and high schools, but right next to American Heritage, reputable private school)

Location compromise
-Parkland

I cite these areas since you are interested in an equestrian lifestyle. You will enjoy these areas a lot and all of them are within a reasonable (less than 30 minute) commute to the points that I named. All of these areas are very safe, convenient to shopping/etc.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM

What about this neighborhood, it's pretty new. Out west off of 441 north of Boynton.

Equus in Boynton Beach, Florida

I think the homes start in the high $500s. But your horse lives on the property...oooohhhhh.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Great, thanks for the information! I will show my wife the Equus properties and she will be sold... Parkland definitely looks great.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks for the information! I will show my wife the Equus properties and she will be sold... Parkland definitely looks great.
If you move to Equus, can I come and ride your horse?!! Just kidding!! LOL. I do love horses, always wanted one of my own. Maybe one day.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
If you move to Equus, can I come and ride your horse?!! Just kidding!! LOL. I do love horses, always wanted one of my own. Maybe one day.
Well, I will be the one on the patio drinking a Fat Tire but if you ask my wife I'm sure she would accomodate! You're definitely welcome to the beers though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach